Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

IFL Releases Anacondas Coach

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Shawn Tompkins has been released from his duties as the head coach of the IFL' Los Angeles Anacondas. Kurt Otto, the co-founder and commissioner of the International Fight League, confirmed to MMAWeekly on Wednesday evening that he made the decision to release Tompkins. Tompkins took over the Anacondas as the handpicked successor to original head coach Bas Rutten earlier this year in March.

Article

Personally I'm not too familiar with how the IFL runs their teams, so this is a rather interesting item to me. I can understand why the decision was made but normally I would expect the coach or head of the team to make such a decision.

Post #1   9/13/07 6:51:50AM   

gspgnp

MMA Regular

gspgnp Avatar

Career:212-117
Chips:
The IFL did this most likely because Tompkins is not a well known name and he doesn't have a good MMA record. Bas was spread out ten times thinner than Tompkins and they never would have considered getting rid of him. This is a very bad move on the IFL's part as even though Tompkins is not a household name, they probably just let go of the best MMA coach and trainer they had in the whole league!

Post #2   9/13/07 8:59:43AM   

kaduey

In Full Mount

kaduey Avatar

Career:1,537-829
Chips:

Posted by gspgnp

The IFL did this most likely because Tompkins is not a well known name and he doesn't have a good MMA record. Bas was spread out ten times thinner than Tompkins and they never would have considered getting rid of him. This is a very bad move on the IFL's part as even though Tompkins is not a household name, they probably just let go of the best MMA coach and trainer they had in the whole league!

I think that statement is ridiculous. IFL is cutting Thompkins because they want to become a serious threat in mma and the team sports world. You have to realize that they are Otto wants this league to be like NFL, NHL, MLB. Do coaches get fired in that league? Yes. Bas quit coaching the Anacondas because he had too many other commitments. And to say Thompkins isn't a household name is silly. I'm from Canada And Team Thompkins is one of the most recognized teams in the Canadian mma world. Big name fighters seek out Thompkins for their stand-up training. I would say he's pretty recognized in the mma world.

Post #3   9/13/07 9:24:23AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,573
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by kaduey

Posted by gspgnp

I think that statement is ridiculous. IFL is cutting Thompkins because they want to become a serious threat in mma and the team sports world. You have to realize that they are Otto wants this league to be like NFL, NHL, MLB. Do coaches get fired in that league? Yes. Bas quit coaching the Anacondas because he had too many other commitments. And to say Thompkins isn't a household name is silly. I'm from Canada And Team Thompkins is one of the most recognized teams in the Canadian mma world. Big name fighters seek out Thompkins for their stand-up training. I would say he's pretty recognized in the mma world.

I actually agree with gspgnp. When comparing Tompkins to the the other coaches, he is definitely not a household name. Even the most casual fan knows most of the other coaches, even if they've never watched the IFL...and that is the initial appeal that draws in an audience to watch the unknown fighters that they train. Tompkins just isn't a legend in the sport as pretty much all of the others are. Yes, Bas had many commitments as well, but he quit because they wanted to make him the face of the IFL, which would mean that he couldn't continue coaching...I'm sure they paid him well as a result. I'm fairly certain that Pat Miletich is every bit of spread thin as Tompkins is, but I didn't see him get released. I'm not saying that this is the only reason for letting him go, but I'd say it's probably a factor.

Post #4   9/13/07 10:50:17AM   

Canadian_MM_EH

Banned

Career:82-58
Chips:
Bullshit.

Post #5   9/13/07 2:46:11PM   

aaa9erh8er

Belt Contender

aaa9erh8er Avatar

Career:330-217
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
he may not be well known in the states but the anacondas where def. better known then alot of the teams this year. and they did good so i think they should have kept him. who are they thinking of replacinng him with. i wanna see team chute box in the ifl i think they would dominate they have alot of young well rounded fighters that would be good.

Post #6   11/11/07 3:43:45PM