Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Friends of MMA, unite against that awful stench

Print  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,003-1,643
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
The UFC is going mainstream, which is what it always wanted, but I'm starting to think the Ultimate Fighting Championship was better off underground.

Where nobody could smell its stench.

Link

Post #1   9/12/07 10:27:20PM   

CiaoBaby

MMA Regular

CiaoBaby Avatar

Career:688-482
Camp: The Fatherless Bastards
Chips:
Good article from a seemingly real fan of the sport. I agree in the that the system is flawed like so many others, but at the same time I don't really have the answer aside from possibly adopting a scoring system similar to that of PRIDE. I also loved UFC when it was underground. Now every jerk you run into who has been watching the sport for 4 months and couldnt name you 5 welterweights, has a stupid opinion about how corrupt the sport is becoming. Annoying!

Post #2   9/12/07 10:42:37PM   

ocho-cinco

In Full Mount

ocho-cinco Avatar

Career:994-597
Camp: nelson top team
Chips:

Posted by CiaoBaby

Good article from a seemingly real fan of the sport. I agree in the that the system is flawed like so many others, but at the same time I don't really have the answer aside from possibly adopting a scoring system similar to that of PRIDE. I also loved UFC when it was underground. Now every jerk you run into who has been watching the sport for 4 months and couldnt name you 5 welterweights, has a stupid opinion about how corrupt the sport is becoming. Annoying!

Not just how corrupt the sport is, but all aspects of it. I hate talking to a fan who is rowdy and seems to be into MMA, but has such uninformed opinions it's just stupid. It's like "No I don't think Rashad Evans should get a title shot if he beats Ortiz." or "Buddy, I'm prety sure Chuck Liddell isn't going to move to middleweight." If you don't really know what your talking about, why pretend like you do? I personally would never act like I know everything there is to no, and ever fighter out there, but I no enough to intelligently defend what I say, and have a reason for saying it. I'm kind of on a rant now so I'll just finish by saying the article was a good read.

Post #3   9/12/07 11:02:30PM   

enemyofmany

Banned

Career:32-18
Chips:
well all may not be worthy of you mma gods,this sport has its newcomers,bandwagon fans,and straight up jack azzezz,just like any other,i say the bigger the better for mma.the more fans-the more money=better fights wich means more fans-more money=better fights.get it?dont keep it all to yourselves.

Post #4   9/12/07 11:02:36PM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
im a fighter myself(not for the ufc) but i love it because the money is there

Post #5   9/12/07 11:47:55PM   

kaduey

In Full Mount

kaduey Avatar

Career:1,537-829
Chips:
I can't believe you guys actually support what this a**hole is saying. The only reason he has an interest in mma is because his employers gave him a set of DVDs, told him to watch, and then formulate an ignorant opinion. The only thing I agree with is I really do wish mma would go back to the underground roots it once had because people like that guy wouldn't be filling our ears with his ridiculous opinions.

Post #6   9/13/07 12:18:56AM   

Trench777

MMA Regular

Trench777 Avatar

Career:171-141
Chips:
MMA being more mainstream is ideal.

There is more advertising money, the more mainstream it gets.

There is more of a chance for the next up & coming <insert your fav fighter here> to be training in the gym and say "WTF? I dont want to box, I want to FIGHT"

Better training facilities, sponsorships, more airtime, more channels that will show MMA, more orgs that will promote it, more talent coming in...

I would love to see MMA eclispe boxing not only in popularity (which I think it really is getting close to already)...but in PAYDAYS for our fighters. The fact that top-paid boxers get literally 100s of times more than our guys, just makes me sick.

The ONLY way paydays get to the point where being a MMArtist is competitive with being a boxer; is for it to become as much of a moneyMAKER as boxing. That means more mainstream.

The days of the romantic underground MMA world are officially over. Deal with it, cause there's no going back now.

T777

Post #7   9/13/07 12:55:10AM   

cnac765

Learning to Sprawl

Career:95-59
Chips:
There seem to be a few people who understand the importance of the sport going main stream there shouldnt be any reason why nobody would want it to we want the sport to grow dont we it must evolve not only for the fighters but for the fans sake. give me 5 good reasons it shouldnt go mainstream.

Post #8   9/13/07 10:58:55AM   

silverbullet

Shrimpin' ain't easy

Career:144-82
Chips:
Oh my god, the sky is falling!! Bisping won a controversial decision, this is the end of the world as we know it!

I saw the fight, and in my opinion Bisping lost, but stop making it into a bigger deal than it is. Bisping is an all-around better fighter, with better stand-up and ground-game than Hammil. He is technically superior in every way. On Saturday he came to take an easy win, and Matt Hammil came in to beat Bisping at all costs. I still maintain that Bisping is a better fighter, but in my opinion he badly out-sized and lost that fight. There are many people who agree with me, and there are quite a few who think that Bisping won 2 out of 3 rounds. Two out of the three people judging the bout thought that Bisping won. Three people is a very small sample group. Maybe if there were 5 referees instead of 3, the verdict would have been different, who knows! But at the end of the day, what happened on Saturday was (arguably) a mistake by two judges in a very close fight. End of story.

Secondly, I really don't know why everybody is to adamant about the money that UFC is paying to fighters. All the people who whine about how little fighters get paid, are the same people who in a few years will whine about how UFC overpays the fighters, how they only show up for the purse, and don't come to compete anymore. Am I bothered that Koscheck is getting $10,000 for getting beat up for 15 minutes? No, I don't care. I'd rather see him make $10,000 and know that money isn't the only thing that motivates him. Koscheck's personal income is none of my concern, all I know is that all the fighters in the UFC are genuinely motivated to fight and win.

I don't think the sky is falling, and everybody should take it easy.

Post #9   9/13/07 12:43:33PM   

CiaoBaby

MMA Regular

CiaoBaby Avatar

Career:688-482
Camp: The Fatherless Bastards
Chips:
I'm not gonna pretend I know everything there is to know about mma...Look at my season rank for God's sake! I would however, say that I have been following the sport religiously for long enough to be able to back up an opinion I post. The sport going mainstream is great for the company. Someone said it...More fans equals more money, more money equals more fights and so on. The only problem I have with it is as I stated before, is the drunk tough guys at the PPV parties acting like they know what they are talking about ( Like in any sport I guess ). Don't get me wrong I love the casual fan, and I love new people getting into the sport and listening to opinions mature. But I think almost anyone who remembers the game for what it was 6 or 7 years ago, would agree that we were better off underground.

Post #10   9/13/07 12:54:17PM   

blowe1983

MMA Regular

blowe1983 Avatar

Career:37-15
Chips:

Posted by silverbullet

Oh my god, the sky is falling!! Bisping won a controversial decision, this is the end of the world as we know it!

I saw the fight, and in my opinion Bisping lost, but stop making it into a bigger deal than it is. Bisping is an all-around better fighter, with better stand-up and ground-game than Hammil. He is technically superior in every way. On Saturday he came to take an easy win, and Matt Hammil came in to beat Bisping at all costs. I still maintain that Bisping is a better fighter, but in my opinion he badly out-sized and lost that fight. There are many people who agree with me, and there are quite a few who think that Bisping won 2 out of 3 rounds. Two out of the three people judging the bout thought that Bisping won. Three people is a very small sample group. Maybe if there were 5 referees instead of 3, the verdict would have been different, who knows! But at the end of the day, what happened on Saturday was (arguably) a mistake by two judges in a very close fight. End of story.

Secondly, I really don't know why everybody is to adamant about the money that UFC is paying to fighters. All the people who whine about how little fighters get paid, are the same people who in a few years will whine about how UFC overpays the fighters, how they only show up for the purse, and don't come to compete anymore. Am I bothered that Koscheck is getting $10,000 for getting beat up for 15 minutes? No, I don't care. I'd rather see him make $10,000 and know that money isn't the only thing that motivates him. Koscheck's personal income is none of my concern, all I know is that all the fighters in the UFC are genuinely motivated to fight and win.

I don't think the sky is falling, and everybody should take it easy.

you can argue that bisping is a better fighter if hamill caught him with a lucky shot and KO'd him but that wasn't the case!! it went three rounds and hamill one them all. im sorry for all you "die hard" bisping fans but you cant say you won the fight with jabs. besides as soon as he threw a jab hamill coutnered. this whole thing has seriously something wrong behind it. im a bisping fan or was rather, until i saw the fight and the aftermath and i didnt like hamill at all, now i cant wait to see him fight again. if bisping is that great he wouldve beaten him. you can say he underestimated hamill all you freaking want. but if bisping is as good as everybody is making him seem he wouldve adjusted his game plan after the first round when he got completely dominated. no instead he thought he would "try" to control the fight with his jabs and what he got were some counter shots right upside his face. for anybody who says they are a true mma fan and ufc i dont see how you possibly can not be pissed. this whole situation isnt about who's favorite fighter won or lost its about whats fair and whats right regardless of the fighters fighting. this is the type of crap dana white bashes boxing about. if you care about the sport you wouldnt just say who cares get over it. and whoever says this crap and stands for it have fun watching my favorite sport turn into WWE

Post #11   9/13/07 6:32:54PM   

Vietnamese_Guy

Standup Guy

Vietnamese_Guy Avatar

Career:198-109
Camp: Shogun Academy
Chips:
i love pride, but seriously, why compare a supposedly corrupt org with another org equally (if not more) corrupt

Post #12   9/13/07 8:17:12PM