Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Gomi's UFC field trip?

Print  
  Page 3 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

nate22

Belt Contender

nate22 Avatar

Career:52-35
Chips:
UFC Division:

Sherk (yes he does fit somewher in top ten)
Mishima (top 20)
Stevenson (top 15)
Guillard (top 20)
Tyson (top 25)
Gurgel (??)
Florian (top 20)
Hominick (top 15)
Pulver (top 20)
Penn (for one fight) (unranked)

Pride:

Gomi (no 1 in world)
Melendez (no 2)
Sakurai (no 3)
Kawajiri (no 5)
Aoki (no 6)
Ishida (no 7)
Hansen (no 8)
Auerilo (no 9)

There is the slight argument that Sherk may shake those rankings up a little, but those numbers are taken from a very respected ranking site.

I really hope this clears up the argument of whether UFC or Prides LW division is better, fairenough if you didn't realise what type of comment you were making, but now you do, you were wrong, end of.

Post #31   1/20/07 7:48:51AM   

nate22

Belt Contender

nate22 Avatar

Chips:
Stevenson is a bad match up for Gomi, I have no doubt Gomi will take the fight, his wrestling isn't exactly lacklustre by any means, but in a few years I'm confident Stevenson will be a top 3 LW.

Post #32   1/20/07 7:49:52AM   

DoTheMMAth

MMA Sensei

DoTheMMAth Avatar

Career:1,400-860
Chips:
I expect / hope to see Aoki's stock rise as well. So young with so much potential...

Post #33   1/20/07 9:19:52AM   

nate22

Belt Contender

nate22 Avatar

Chips:
It will be hard for Aoki, his next fight will probably be a top 5 LW, ala Sakurai, Kawijiri or Melendez...who he will have a hard time facing.

It's not as if he can raise his stack ala Sean Sherk fighting top 20's such as Florian or Hominick.

Post #34   1/20/07 9:40:22AM   

aceprone

Standup Guy

aceprone Avatar

Career:1,037-635
Camp: Slackers
Chips:
Because it's true...the UFC does have a more indepth division then pride. Sad, but true!

Post #35   1/20/07 12:40:14PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,916-1,077
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I think Pride has a more proven against eachother lightweight division. I'm not saying they are worth their ranking or not,but they are more established. If I had to rank the Lightweights( and i might as well since wew are all discussing this)
1. Penn(If he wants to stay at that weigh)
2. Kid Yammamoto
3. Sherk
4.Gomi
5.Melendez
6.Aoki
7.Kawajiri
8Aa Shaolin 8b.Steveson
9. Fisher
10.Hansen
11. Azerado
12, Hominick
12. Sakarai
13. Florian
14.Franca
15a. Guillard 15b. Ishida

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #36   1/20/07 1:32:25PM   

LazyHorse

Learning to Sprawl

Career:47-32
Camp: Unibongers
Chips:
I think the main point of this discussion should be that until some of these young lws from ufc fight real competition they shouldent recieve the credit that alot of people are giving them.. Yeah stevenson and gulliard have some potential, but they have along way to go and put them in the ring at this moment with any of the top 5 and they gunna get owned... Also on a side note, Sherk is big and strong at 155 but I think he is way overrated. He will probley destroy most of the guys in UFC but that doesnt mean hes a top talent or ranked in top 5... Florian is not even in the top 20 and sherk really dident do much but keep him down, throw afew elbows and hold out for the decision.. anyways just my oppinon

Post #37   1/20/07 8:24:52PM   

nate22

Belt Contender

nate22 Avatar

Chips:
No there is a difference between opinion and fact Lazyhorse and the post above is fact.

I cannot believe what I am hearing about the UFC LW divsion having more depth WTF my post just explained why you were wrong ACE why are you saying it's true?

There are times when FACT overrides OPINION and this is one of those times.

Aceprone (no offense) you are wrong, I am right and you will continue to lose all credibility on LW discussion in future with me if you continue to argue otherwise. It's very annoying when I can prove my point yet you still argue against it.

WTF are you basing your claims on? Seriously WTF

Now I know exactly why this emotion was made.

Post #38   1/21/07 7:41:06AM   

nate22

Belt Contender

nate22 Avatar

Chips:
UFC Division:

Sherk (yes he does fit somewher in top ten)
Mishima (top 20)
Stevenson (top 15)
Guillard (top 20)
Tyson (top 25)
Gurgel (??)
Florian (top 20)
Hominick (top 15)
Pulver (top 20)
Penn (for one fight) (unranked)

Pride:

Gomi (no 1 in world)
Melendez (no 2)
Sakurai (no 3)
Kawajiri (no 5)
Aoki (no 6)
Ishida (no 7)
Hansen (no 8)
Auerilo (no 9)

Read this again, this isn't my opinion on where the fighters are in the world, its common knowledge through any fan who has an ounce of a clue what they are talking about. This is the combination of around a 1000 members of one of the most respected rankings on the net.

Pride has 8 out of the 10 top ten fighters in its divsion and you are arguing against UFC having more depth. How stupid can you be?

Post #39   1/21/07 7:43:46AM   

nate22

Belt Contender

nate22 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

I think Pride has a more proven against eachother lightweight division. I'm not saying they are worth their ranking or not,but they are more established. If I had to rank the Lightweights( and i might as well since wew are all discussing this)
2. Kid Yammamoto
3. Sherk
4.Gomi
5.Melendez
6.Aoki
7.Kawajiri
8Aa Shaolin 8b.Steveson
9. Fisher
10.Hansen
11. Azerado
12, Hominick
12. Sakarai
13. Florian
14.Franca

No disrespect, but you know Sakurai is top 3. Kid is at 145lbs, never fought a ranked LW.

Sherk can't beat you're no. 13 and walk straight into No.3 above Melendez who has just beaten Kawijiri (top5)

Post #40   1/21/07 7:50:03AM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:

Posted by nate22

It will be hard for Aoki, his next fight will probably be a top 5 LW, ala Sakurai, Kawijiri or Melendez...who he will have a hard time facing.

It's not as if he can raise his stack ala Sean Sherk fighting top 20's such as Florian or Hominick.

aoki i think proved himself by basically owning hansen in the stand up, and the ground game... i see hansen as just a good as striker as sakurai, kawajiri and melendez (but worse ground game) but nonetheless i think aoki can have his way with all three, considering he takes it to the ground..

Post #41   1/21/07 2:07:49PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Chips:

Posted by nate22

Posted by hippysmacker

2. Kid Yammamoto
3. Sherk
4.Gomi
5.Melendez
6.Aoki
7.Kawajiri
8Aa Shaolin 8b.Steveson
9. Fisher
10.Hansen
11. Azerado
12, Hominick
12. Sakarai
13. Florian
14.Franca

No disrespect, but you know Sakurai is top 3. Kid is at 145lbs, never fought a ranked LW.

Sherk can't beat you're no. 13 and walk straight into No.3 above Melendez who has just beaten Kawijiri (top5)

No disrespect taken or offered. I just disagree with you on some things. Most rankings are taken from a panel of editors , journalist, fighters, ex-fighters or a combination thereof. Who knows what there personal, feelings, relationships, favors, paybacks, or motivations are but them and God. I'll never forget Trigg being ranked #2 in the world at welterweight and some claiming he was#1(5-8 at his best in my estimation) . Not everyone knows that he was a close friend of Ryan Bennet(MMA Weekly founder) ,friends with many of the other voers , and one of the people who vote. Most journalist (especially in sports) have people who feed them inside info, grant interviews, etc. for favorable coverage and favors. Heck, anyitme Bill Parcells wants something said without actually saying it, Chris Mortensen(espn) and Peter King(SI) will give one of their insider reports from a "Unnamed very close to the situation source"(I.E. Parcells) . I think Sakarai is overated and on the downside of his career. I think the the beating Hughes put on him , would probably look similiar to a fight between Sherk and Sakarai. Sherk Has better standup +faster shots(than Hughes), and is hard to submit(by virtue of his short limbs and strenghth), Also, Sherk Did beat my #13 (Florian) , who is now slouch, and he beat him convincingly. Any guy with good jujtsu and a good chin can generally prolong a fight, even when taking a beating.Otherwise Big Nog , Royce and many others would not have some of the wins they have. I still beleive Kid is the most gifted fighter LB. for LB in the world, and it wasn't that long ago Melendez was fighting at 145. This is all speculation , NO ONE can say who would beat who till they fight. We are all just sharing opinions. I really think it's logical to hypothesize a guy who was top 5 at a higher weight for a long time being top 3 at a lighter one. Some people will agree ,and some won't. Hopefully all these guys can fight eachother some day and we will know unequivocally who would beat who.

Last edited 1/22/07 7:30AM server time by hippysmacker
Edit note/reason: n/a
3 total post edits

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #42   1/22/07 4:54:08AM   

nate22

Belt Contender

nate22 Avatar

Chips:
Sakurai has won six out the past seven fights, his only loss being to Gomi.

During this streak he has beat Aoki, Hansen, Pulver, Azevedo and Olaf (not that he counts for much)

That's three fighters you have placed higher than him on your list. Downside of his career? More so a revival, noone can believe the results that Mach has achieved recently considering the difficult time he was having a few years ago.

He has justified his place as a top 3 LW in the world for the moment.

Post #43   1/22/07 7:10:00AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Chips:
I'm not saying Sakarai isn't a great fighter, I just don't rank him as high as you do. Aoki, Hansen were decisions. I didn't see the Aoki fight, so I don't know how I would have scored it. Also,Aoki has recently had a huge jump in performance in my opinion(2 of the best submissions of the year). I thought Hansen won the tourney fight, seemed like hometown judging to me. Last, I mean Luiz Azeredo, not Luciano Azevedo . Either way I think I rated Azerado too high, exciting guy to watch though. I think Sakarai beat him a long time ago, but I know Gomi knocked him out once. i'll drop him to 15 on my list and move the rest up

Last edited 1/22/07 7:45AM server time by hippysmacker
Edit note/reason: n/a

The Iron Code

Post #44   1/22/07 7:42:47AM   

nate22

Belt Contender

nate22 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

I'm not saying Sakarai isn't a great fighter, I just don't rank him as high as you do. Aoki, Hansen were decisions. I didn't see the Aoki fight, so I don't know how I would have scored it. Also,Aoki has recently had a huge jump in performance in my opinion(2 of the best submissions of the year). I thought Hansen won the tourney fight, seemed like hometown judging to me. Last, I mean Luiz Azeredo, not Luciano Azevedo . Either way I think I rated Azerado too high, exciting guy to watch though. I think Sakarai beat him a long time ago, but I know Gomi knocked him out once. i'll drop him to 15 on my list and move the rest up

You're right on top of Aoki's recent sub wins he beat two of the most proising fighters in the division in Kikuchi and Black, he completley pwned Black in the process also.

Post #45   1/22/07 7:52:28AM   

Page 3 of 4     1     2     3     4