Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Gomi's UFC field trip?

Print  
  Page 2 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

aceprone

Standup Guy

aceprone Avatar

Career:1,037-635
Camp: Slackers
Chips:
He only lost to the two top guys. Went the distance with Hughes and yes got distroyed by St. Pierre, but so did Matt Hughes. Sherk has two wins over Karo from back in the day, and also has a win of Nick Diaz. So he can compete with some of the top in the 170 Division, but his body structure is just way to small. So he's going to have problems with guys that are way bigger then him in the weight class, but I don't think anyone else in the weight class can "destroy" him. At the 155 division he is going to slaughter people! No one in that division has the wrestling skill he has, or the power besides Melvin. Sherk is explosive on the ground and has power and speed with his hands. He'll destroy Gomi. He is way to strong for Gomi.

Post #16   1/19/07 12:37:29PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,924-1,081
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I wouldn't say he got destoryed by St. Pierre. i just think it was a case of George being to big & strong. Agree that he's only lost to the best at 170, and should kick butt at 155. However, I think the reason Gomi would beat Melvin is he has the best Chin I've ever seen on a guy that size. Melvin has more ability than anybody , except maybe St.Perre. Stil, he's stilll young and larning , and we never now how good he can be till he faces top competition .

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #17   1/19/07 12:46:55PM   

WaikruMass

Learning to Sprawl

WaikruMass Avatar

Career:55-26
Camp: MASS_MMA
Chips:
never happen. ufc has everything to lose and nothing to gain

Post #18   1/19/07 1:35:38PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Chips:
I agree, they won't do anything that might help Pride get a foothold in the US.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #19   1/19/07 1:43:37PM   

nate22

Belt Contender

nate22 Avatar

Career:52-35
Chips:

Posted by Gladiator

oh yes, u have changed my mind completely. Guys like sakurai and Ishida definitly have the kind of strength and speed guillard has...

All im saying is that u made it sound like guillard wouldnt have a chance, which is really lame cuz u try to pool him in with a bunch of guys who have lost to gomi that have great strengh and speed but no combination thereof, at least not in the way guillard does. and i admit that gomi's skills would probably win out, but not in a fashion they have against other guys. Experience doesnt always beat out raw power

Ok, yes of course Melvin has a punchers chance, who doesn't?

My point in all of those guys who have come up against Gomi have done so by consistently beating fighters from all realms, there are plenty of guys like Melvin across the world. You are trying to make out as if Guillard is some sort of phenom, like i've never seen a fighter who hits hard with hand speed in combination with a solid wrestling backround.

Experience doesn't always beat out raw power, no of course it doesn't, I thought that went without saying. I hope you're not getting pissed with me and the way I chat on about fighters on message boards, it's all banter, it's all good and i'm enjoying discussing the matter with you.

Post #20   1/19/07 3:16:40PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,487-1,427
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
i think the main point about melvin is that he just soooo physically gifted he could make some noise, but gomi is experienced and has beaten the best, still i would like to see that fight as a gauge to see how good melvin can be

Post #21   1/19/07 3:18:27PM   

nate22

Belt Contender

nate22 Avatar

Chips:
I still can't believe we are having such an in depth discussion about Gomi - Melvin.

Melvin - Joe Stevenson/Edwards/Sherk are all better discussion topics, and alot more relevant too.

Post #22   1/19/07 3:27:00PM   

Gladiator

In Full Mount

Gladiator Avatar

Career:896-523
Chips:
no not pissed off just trying to make a point... obviously one that wasn't worth making.

Last edited 1/19/07 7:22PM server time by gladiator
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #23   1/19/07 7:15:20PM   

nate22

Belt Contender

nate22 Avatar

Chips:
I might say so and ridicule what you are saying and take the piss or whatever, but this is a discussion forum and really i'm only voicing my opinion in a banterish form. My opinion is worth nothing more than yours and I just like arguing about MMA.

All the best and i'm sure we can clash ( and just maybe even agree!!) on other subjects in the future

Post #24   1/19/07 7:49:38PM   

MMA

Pimpin

MMA Avatar

Career:672-349
Chips:
This is probably a rumor, I doubt this has any truth to it. Even if it did, White is not stupid enough to let Gomi fight in the UFC (as a Pride fighter). Pride is slowly dying, why would Dana want to give them free publicity?

P.S. I can see Sherk beating Gomi in a 5 round unanimous decision victory. It will probably look something like the Florian fight.

Last edited 1/19/07 8:26PM server time by MMA
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #25   1/19/07 8:25:37PM   

aceprone

Standup Guy

aceprone Avatar

Chips:
agreed! Even Joe Stephenson would give Gomi a good run for his money! I personally think the UFC 155 division is the top of the food chain in 155. It's such an indepth division. The UFC also has the man who has beat Gomi, BJ Penn! Can't forget him if he ever returns to the 155 division after he fights Pulver.

Post #26   1/19/07 10:37:50PM   

nate22

Belt Contender

nate22 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by aceprone

Even Joe Stephenson would give Gomi a good run for his money! I personally think the UFC 155 division is the top of the food chain in 155. It's such an indepth division. .

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLL

Post #27   1/19/07 11:04:52PM   

aceprone

Standup Guy

aceprone Avatar

Chips:
you may not agree, but time will prove me right!

Post #28   1/20/07 2:44:52AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Chips:
I agree with you, anybody with good takedowns and the abilty to keep Gomi down has good shot againsy him. He's not Liddell or cro-cop like with takedown defense.

The Iron Code

Post #29   1/20/07 3:30:33AM   

nate22

Belt Contender

nate22 Avatar

Chips:
I'm more so laughing at UFC having a better lightweight division than pride.

Post #30   1/20/07 7:39:03AM   

Page 2 of 4     1     2     3     4