Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Gomi's UFC field trip?

Print  
  Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

NutBar

Learning to Sprawl

NutBar Avatar

Career:19-12
Chips:
http://www.fightopinion.com/2007/01/15/report-gomi-heading-to-ufc/

IMO if this did happen Gomi would be a wrecking ball in the 155lb division. Would Pride really get much out of it though? I mean, it's not like UFC is going to promote his Pride history or something like that if he steps into the cage. Sure, some UFC-only fans might take interest in this guy's origins and get turned on to Pride fighting, but most serious MMA fans will already know who this guy is, and the others that have UFC tunnel vision aren't gonna care either way.

On the plus side though... it's nice to see a bit of inter-organizational fights. If UFC and Pride made trading fighters for a fight or two a more regular thing it would be a win-win and make soooo many fans happy. Fedor vs Tim Sylvia anyone? lol Wandy vs Chuck? Maybe even Filho vs Franklin or Silva? Aoki vs Penn?

Post #1   1/16/07 12:38:38PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,457-1,410
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
we'll see if it really happens but i think it can only hurt pride, plus guys like sherk, fisher, and guillard have a great shot against him, and though i cant believe im saying this, guillard probably has the best due to his athleticism and power, i hope he does come and the reason i didnt mention BJ is that his fight with pulver is supposed to be a 1 time at 155 thing otherwise u have to say he beats gomi

Post #2   1/16/07 12:44:24PM   

thepitbull00

MMA Regular

thepitbull00 Avatar

Career:2,285-1,596
Camp: country KO
Chips:
I think a Gomi versus Guillard fight would be the best matchup. I think they could put on a really good war and it would really shake up the lightweight division.

Post #3   1/16/07 2:41:54PM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
gomi will now murder bj IMHO..
guillard v gomi would be an entertaining fight

Post #4   1/16/07 3:34:45PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
I think Sherk will be to fast and strong for Gomi.

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #5   1/16/07 6:11:51PM   

LazyHorse

Learning to Sprawl

Career:47-32
Camp: Unibongers
Chips:
Gomi vs gulliard would not be a war it would be a one sided match.. I dunno how you people can match up gulliard with the champ of pride, its just way different skill level, gulliard is TUF level and gomi is ranked #1 in the world at 165....... hmmmm

Post #6   1/16/07 7:40:31PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,902-1,070
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I think Gomi would lose to both Sherk and Penn. Their styles are bad for him. I don't think this will happen anyway. Now that pride wants a US presence they might actually agree to this . If they could get a Guillard , Fisher , willing to standup type guy against Gomi it would be smart. If they want to send one guy over and be sure of a victory it should be Fedor. Fedor is already the closest thing to unbeatable in MMA. Throw in a cage to pin someo e aganist and elbows and it would be over for whover the UFC threw in there. If it was just champ against Champ I beleive Chuck beats Wandy. Hendo vs A.Silva goes either way and Sherk keeps Gomi grounded the whole fight. If they really want to throw the dice to get more US exposure to the casual fan, the smart thing is to send Fedor. However , since any possibility of helping Pride would be stupid for them I don't think we will see it.

Last edited 1/17/07 1:39PM server time by hippysmacker
Edit note/reason: n/a

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #7   1/17/07 1:20:21PM   

aceprone

Standup Guy

aceprone Avatar

Career:1,037-635
Camp: Slackers
Chips:
I don't understand why Sean Sherk is underratted by most mma fans in the lightweight divison. The only two losses in his carreer are from two of the top fighters in the world who are bigger then him. Anyone else in the 170 division is not going to run through him. There's no one in the 155 division that has been in the wars he has and has fought the caliber fighters he has. The man has great hands hand speed (better then hughes), and an excellent ground game. Watch him fight Nick Diaz, the man is a monster and will soon be considered in the top 3 of 155, personally speaking to me, he is one of the top 3. I say Sherk takes Gomi by a decisive uniamous decision.

Post #8   1/18/07 2:18:11PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,902-1,070
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Agreeed Sherk By ground'N'pound for 5 rounds

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #9   1/18/07 2:23:01PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,457-1,410
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
i think that with the time off pre-florian fight people forgot about him and how many wins he had, and even in losing to hughes, at that point he looked as good as anyone had against the champ

Post #10   1/18/07 2:58:42PM   

nate22

Belt Contender

nate22 Avatar

Career:52-35
Chips:

Posted by LazyHorse

Gomi vs gulliard would not be a war it would be a one sided match.. I dunno how you people can match up gulliard with the champ of pride, its just way different skill level, gulliard is TUF level and gomi is ranked #1 in the world at 165....... hmmmm

Thank you lazyhorse, it's really disappointing to see such comments about Gomi, Guillard has never fought a top ten competitior, the closest to it, Neer, he lost too.

But yea guys I'm sure he could beat Gomi, undisputed number one LW in the world.

Post #11   1/19/07 7:31:04AM   

nate22

Belt Contender

nate22 Avatar

Chips:
Sherk is not over or under rated, he simply hasn' t fought enough top competition and when he has, he has lost. He has spent too much of his time fighting lower tier opponents. Now he has the chance to prove himself in the LW division and he is a monster at 155, will be nice to see how he gets on in the future.

Post #12   1/19/07 7:34:52AM   

Gladiator

In Full Mount

Gladiator Avatar

Career:896-523
Chips:
ok, Gomi is def the #1 in the world but when's the last time he fought anybody with athleticism like guillard? The guy is obviously stronger and faster physically than gomi is, needless to say gomi would probably win but i think u cant say that it wouldnt be a good fight.

Post #13   1/19/07 12:00:44PM   

nate22

Belt Contender

nate22 Avatar

Chips:
I didn't say it wouldn't be a good fight, any fight with Gomi in it and someone as exciting as Guillard, could never be a bad fight. I'm not disputing that.

I am disputing Melvin's credentials to step into the same ring as Gomi. And in answer to your stronger/faster question (which I think is a very stupid point to make, as it obviosuly makes little difference) Azeredo, J.Silva, Bennet, Sakurai, Kawajiri, Ishida, need I go on?

Post #14   1/19/07 12:09:00PM   

Gladiator

In Full Mount

Gladiator Avatar

Career:896-523
Chips:
oh yes, u have changed my mind completely. Guys like sakurai and Ishida definitly have the kind of strength and speed guillard has...

All im saying is that u made it sound like guillard wouldnt have a chance, which is really lame cuz u try to pool him in with a bunch of guys who have lost to gomi that have great strengh and speed but no combination thereof, at least not in the way guillard does. and i admit that gomi's skills would probably win out, but not in a fashion they have against other guys. Experience doesnt always beat out raw power

Last edited 1/19/07 12:31PM server time by gladiator
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #15   1/19/07 12:28:45PM   

Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4