Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Sports Illustrated Review of UFC 75

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

KissMyBallz

MMA Regular

KissMyBallz Avatar

Career:7-7
Chips:
Interesting Article (not that I agree with all of it) on 5 things we can take away from UFC 75.

What are all your thoughts?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/david_epstein/09/10/ufc75observations/

Last edited 9/10/07 3:57PM server time by KissMyBallz
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   9/10/07 3:56:27PM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Career:212-114
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:
Number 5 is what I have been saying for a while.

Post #2   9/10/07 4:03:17PM   

guccimane

Banned

Career:22-15
Chips:
If you just look at that guy's face it says it all. PRIDE was overrated. That's hilarious. Then I guess Anderson Silva and Rampage are overrated because neither one could capture a belt in PRIDE, and A. Silva was mediocre there. Do people ever stop and wonder how UFC fighters would do in a ring with PRIDE rules? Chuck went to PRIDE, was almost out on his fight vs Overeem, and got destroyed by Rampage. I guess he's overrated too.

Until Fedor, Hunt, Barnett, Kharitonov, Aleks, Shogun, Wanderlei, Lil Nog, Arona, Soko, Overeem, Filho, Misaki, Gomi, Melendez, Kawajiri, Sakurai, Ishida and the rest come over and perform poorly then hopefully this guy keeps his mouth shut. To say PRIDE fighters are overrated because ONE guy that was already on the tail end of his career and has bigger things to worry about (like parliament issues) not to mention has always been over confident has been lackluster (despite seperating his rib throwing a high kick) is absolutely ridiculous. I guess UFC is garbage because Chuck lost in PRIDE. Or Japanese fighters are wack because Monson subbed Fujita.

Rampage was hardly ever in trouble?? When did Hendo look close to being finished?? The fight was a close war, 3-2. A lot of people saw Hendo winning, because imo he won the 5th round and also had the first 2. Nonetheless, it was a good close fight. Maybe this guy should realize the only thing Hendo ever did at 205 was beat a sick Wanderlei, as he was subbed by Lil Nog and dominated by Arona. Not to mention losing to Misaki (I think he should've lost the first one too).

I guess after Shogun and Fedor come over and destroy Couture and Rampage they will be considered "UFC" guys and they will bill Hunt as a "K-1" kickboxer. This guy considers Rampage a UFC fighter, despite the fact that was his third fight in the UFC, equalling his number of KNOCKOUT LOSSES in PRIDE at the hand of Chute Boxe.

Last edited 9/10/07 4:38PM server time by guccimane

Post #3   9/10/07 4:32:08PM   

fedorwins1

MMA Sensei

Career:552-270
Chips:
number 3 is funny but number 4 is just plain stupid...

Post #4   9/10/07 4:35:59PM   

JWils

Standup Guy

JWils Avatar

Career:1,467-773
Chips:
That section about Goldberg having a crush on Rogan was hilarious. I have never enjoyed listening to Goldberg.

I wish this whole Pride vs. UFC thing would go away.

Post #5   9/10/07 4:37:23PM   

Sam_Rothstein

Belt Contender

Sam_Rothstein Avatar

Career:950-555
Chips:
how come everyone hates goldberg? A

At least hes not as bad as bill goldberg from Elite Xc, now that guy should be fired. I dont care how many wrestling matches he won

Post #6   9/10/07 4:43:29PM   

dstlvb

MMA Regular

dstlvb Avatar

Career:373-248
Chips:
I love how he quoted Jackson but only used half of it. Guess he missed where jackson said Dan was going to knock him out, so he better do something.

Post #7   9/10/07 4:43:43PM   

guccimane

Banned

Chips:

Posted by Sam_Rothstein

At least hes not as bad as bill goldberg from Elite Xc, now that guy should be fired. I dont care how many wrestling matches he won

I can't stand Golberg. Yes, Bill is worse, telling Baroni to "shut up" and basically disrespecting every fighter he interviews. His shout after Lesnar won was hilarious. As for Mike Goldberg, he doesn't know anything about mma, he just goes along with what Joe says, and basically embarasses himself everytime he tries to offer insight. I even like Mauro Renallo and Quadros over him, definitely. I don't know how many times Mike Goldberg says something stupid and Randy and Joe just go silent. Then the robot goes into his stat reading off page mode "Bisping trains hard in the UK Joe, but spent time with Rampage at Big Bear"...."Rampage is a different fighter now Randy, he's mentally prepared"...also ANYTIME somebody throws a punch he says "THAT WAS CHUCK LIDDELL LIKE!!!"

Post #8   9/10/07 4:46:25PM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
yeah i was the pride vs UFC would stop, and i dont see how rampage vs dan was 100% pride vs UFC, rampage had fought 3 total fights and that is tha dan fight added and how many fights did he fight in pride? id have to say rampage is more of a pride fighter then ufc if you look at all the fights he had in pride vs ufc

Post #9   9/10/07 4:52:07PM   

EddieBowers

MMA Regular

EddieBowers Avatar

Career:126-96
Camp: TX Ground and Pound
Chips:
Number 3 was very funny. On number 4??? Why do we keep compairing Pride and UFC.. both are MMA just one is cage and the other is a boxing ring, they each have a slight change in rules from the other. Who cares which org was better??? I care about the fighters and not what org they come from. Give me a good fight in a ring, cage, box.... I do not care, just good MMA action is what I want. People can go back and forth all day saying "this UFC fighter beat this Pride Fighter.. so UFC is better" and visa versa... again who cares about Pride vs UFC? I don't!! Not meaning to insult Pride or UFC or any other MMA org. I love them all... just give me good fights.

Post #10   9/10/07 5:33:18PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but so far the only Pride weight class champion to lose a match in the UFC is Hendo. Throw Big Nog in the mix if you want to consider heavyweights since Fedor hasn't been announced yet. Even then, it was only one of his belts, and until he goes down to 185 and loses to Anderson Silva or Rich Franklin that's not saying much considering Rampage fought in PRIDE for the vast majority of his career up to this point.

Anyway, up until all of that nonsense he's spot on with the first couple paragraphs. Especially about Goldberg being such a douche. Who heard it when Goldberg said "Henderson is 37 years old, not near as old as that heavyweight champion!" to which only silence answered him.

Down with Goldberg! He announces beach volleyball for crying out loud

Post #11   9/10/07 5:51:27PM   

guccimane

Banned

Chips:
Props...not only are you right about the UFC vs PRIDE thing, and the fact PRIDE sucks cuz CroCop lost (LOL SARCASM UFC FANS)...but I rewound that part about Henderson's age three times, and my boys and I kept laughing. Why the hell would he say that?? The guy screws up non stop. "Travis Lutter is the Michael Jordan of BJJ"...lol PLEASE.

Post #12   9/10/07 6:27:03PM   

Lay_N_Pray

In Full Mount

Lay_N_Pray Avatar

Career:253-130
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
Anyone who said we need to stop comparing Pride and UFC you are all my new best friends on this board. I honestly am gonna just stop trying to explain my point i mean i dont see the big deal.

Just like in baseball there is the AL and the NL...in MMA there is UFC and Pride both of them had the greatest fighters in the world period. If you were in one of those two orgs you are better then everyone else, lets just leave it at that.

Post #13   9/10/07 6:27:09PM   

SpiderSilva

Spiderweidman

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,760-1,113
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by guccimane

If you just look at that guy's face it says it all. PRIDE was overrated. That's hilarious. Then I guess Anderson Silva and Rampage are overrated because neither one could capture a belt in PRIDE, and A. Silva was mediocre there. Do people ever stop and wonder how UFC fighters would do in a ring with PRIDE rules? Chuck went to PRIDE, was almost out on his fight vs Overeem, and got destroyed by Rampage. I guess he's overrated too.

Until Fedor, Hunt, Barnett, Kharitonov, Aleks, Shogun, Wanderlei, Lil Nog, Arona, Soko, Overeem, Filho, Misaki, Gomi, Melendez, Kawajiri, Sakurai, Ishida and the rest come over and perform poorly then hopefully this guy keeps his mouth shut. To say PRIDE fighters are overrated because ONE guy that was already on the tail end of his career and has bigger things to worry about (like parliament issues) not to mention has always been over confident has been lackluster (despite seperating his rib throwing a high kick) is absolutely ridiculous. I guess UFC is garbage because Chuck lost in PRIDE. Or Japanese fighters are wack because Monson subbed Fujita.

Rampage was hardly ever in trouble?? When did Hendo look close to being finished?? The fight was a close war, 3-2. A lot of people saw Hendo winning, because imo he won the 5th round and also had the first 2. Nonetheless, it was a good close fight. Maybe this guy should realize the only thing Hendo ever did at 205 was beat a sick Wanderlei, as he was subbed by Lil Nog and dominated by Arona. Not to mention losing to Misaki (I think he should've lost the first one too).

I guess after Shogun and Fedor come over and destroy Couture and Rampage they will be considered "UFC" guys and they will bill Hunt as a "K-1" kickboxer. This guy considers Rampage a UFC fighter, despite the fact that was his third fight in the UFC, equalling his number of KNOCKOUT LOSSES in PRIDE at the hand of Chute Boxe.

blah blah blah about Pride fighters if they are in Pride then they are Pride if they are in the UFC then they are UFC thats like saying that guy from the Redskins isnt a Cowboy hes a Redskins player even though he plays for the Cowboys that is nonsence only thought of by people that enjoy one org over the other fighters go where the money is(Fedor) plan and simple now that Pride couldnt afford it hello UFC to MAKE EVERYONE IN THE WORLD HAPPY TO GIVE EVERYONE THE FIGHTS THAT THEY HAVE WANTED TO SEE if you still think Pride was better well they had better fighters but bad managment R.I.P PrideFC

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #14   9/10/07 7:40:38PM   

kaduey

In Full Mount

kaduey Avatar

Career:1,537-829
Chips:

Posted by guccimane

Posted by Sam_Rothstein

I can't stand Golberg. Yes, Bill is worse, telling Baroni to "shut up" and basically disrespecting every fighter he interviews. His shout after Lesnar won was hilarious. As for Mike Goldberg, he doesn't know anything about mma, he just goes along with what Joe says, and basically embarasses himself everytime he tries to offer insight. I even like Mauro Renallo and Quadros over him, definitely. I don't know how many times Mike Goldberg says something stupid and Randy and Joe just go silent. Then the robot goes into his stat reading off page mode "Bisping trains hard in the UK Joe, but spent time with Rampage at Big Bear"...."Rampage is a different fighter now Randy, he's mentally prepared"...also ANYTIME somebody throws a punch he says "THAT WAS CHUCK LIDDELL LIKE!!!"

The sad part about Golberg is he's been commentating with the UFC for so many years you'd think he would be more knowledgeable of what's going on in the cage but he continues to ride Rogan's nuts. Maybe that's what the UFC pays him for. I taling about Mike Goldberg in case anyone gets confused.

Last edited 9/10/07 8:53PM server time by kaduey

Post #15   9/10/07 8:53:23PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2