Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Matt Hamill vs. Michael Bisping Dissected

Print  
  Page 2 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

bayonetxwork

In Full Mount

bayonetxwork Avatar

Career:114-60
Camp: TUFFS Fight Club
Chips:
Regardless of who won the the third, Hamill still dominated the majority of the fight. Great work though, mad props to you.

Post #16   9/9/07 9:03:36PM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:
yea..exactly how i saw it,but it doesnt matter if Bisping got the decision or not.....the ufc(Joe Silva) knows whats up,and he knows damn well that Hamill won that fight.....so im pretty sure we will still be seeing Hamill up against competition like if he pulled off the win..

even at the end of the event Rogan and Goldberg were talking about the fight and Goldberg said.."what did you think about the split vicrory for over Matt Hamill?"

Rogan said "Sweet victory for Micheal Bisping.....blah blah blah"

and Mike Goldberg shaked his head NO in disgust like if it wasnt a sweet victory at all....i dont know what Rogan was thinking..

then while Rogan continued talking about the fight he said

"I know he beat Matt Hamill,and he did win the decision.."

and Mike looked at him funny like "Come on Joe...you know Bisping didnt win that fight fool!"

Last edited 9/9/07 9:12PM server time by Trapt1nw0nder
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #17   9/9/07 9:12:14PM   

30-06

Learning to Sprawl

30-06 Avatar

Career:75-44
Chips:
matt humbly conceded that bisping won fair and square and he gave him a lot of respect for the win.as he was walking away his corner man was telling him that he won that fight . i can't tell you anymore because i'm so disgusted.

Post #18   9/9/07 9:15:18PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
Matt definitely didn't win the third and points shouldn't be awarded for takedowns when the guy stands back up immediately and nothing comes as a result of it. Takedowns are given too much credit just for being takedowns, there needs to be a follow-up of punishment or submission attempts for a takedown to be worth points.

I'm pretty sure just about everyone agrees that Hamill won the fight, I don't see much point in dissecting it to further reinforce a point that everyone already agrees on.

Post #19   9/9/07 9:25:20PM   

fullfighting

MMA Regular

fullfighting Avatar

Career:151-94
Chips:
hamill got hosed.

Post #20   9/9/07 9:29:29PM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:
Its also pretty cool that 95% of the Internet thinks Hamill got the win...so there is no where to hide for Bisping

Post #21   9/9/07 9:32:00PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Its also pretty cool that 95% of the Internet thinks Hamill got the win...so there is no where to hide for Bisping

Haha, yeah and as we learned last night from all the pre-fight interviews Bisping checks the internet a lot. He was mad heated about Hamill calling him out on the internet

Post #22   9/9/07 9:41:30PM   

chris91301

MMA Regular

Career:15-6
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

UFC is still babying Bisping to promote for the british crowd. Too bad they dont at least let their ex-fans know the script prior to the fights.

Post #23   9/9/07 11:13:27PM   

Sam_Rothstein

Belt Contender

Sam_Rothstein Avatar

Career:950-555
Chips:
the worst part of it all to me was that bisping talked trash to hamill like he just got done beating his ass for 3 rounds

i won points of bisping since i picked him, but i still think hamill won that fight and that he was screwed

Post #24   9/9/07 11:14:22PM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
matt had a great fight, is there anything the UFC can do to change this or its writin in stone?

Post #25   9/9/07 11:58:56PM   

DuncanFan819

MMA Regular

Career:1,201-703
Chips:
Great breakdown of the fight. I agree with everyone here, Hammil clearly won the fight (personally, I thought 29-28). Bisping handled himself like a classless prick after the fight as well while Hammil showed him a ton of respect. Disgusting.

Post #26   9/10/07 12:49:56AM   

ocho-cinco

In Full Mount

ocho-cinco Avatar

Career:994-597
Camp: nelson top team
Chips:

Posted by Ydoc

Decided to watch the fight a few times and take down some numbers. I counted every strike that hit clean to any where on the body including striking on the ground, and ignored any glancing or guarded blows. I also noted Octagon control throughout each round. And kept track of takedowns and avoided takedowns, even though I don't think the latter deserves points since it is a defensive move.

Round 1:

Matt Hamill: Landed 48 strikes, 2 Takedowns, 4 standing guillotines used for dirty boxing.
Michael Bisping: Landed 30 strikes, 1 avoided takedown, no subs or sub attempts.

Octagon Control: Hamill stalked Bisping most of the round, with Bisping only coming forward to hit and run. At the end of the round Bisping was butt scooting away from a stalking Matt. Hamill won this aspect of the fight in every round.

Standing: Matt
Clinch: Matt
Ground: Matt

Round 2:

Matt Hamill: Landed 16 strikes, 2 takedowns, and had another standing guillotine used for dirty boxing.
Michael Bisping: Landed 14 strikes, had no takedowns but I'll give him a sub attempt for trying to use his rubber guard for a triangle (?).

Octagon Control: Bisping didn't run as much as the first round, instead he took to the outside while Matt stood in the middle stalking Bisping who for the most part jumped in a circle motion.

Standing: Matt
Clinch: Matt

Round 3:

Matt Hamill: Landed 23 strikes, 2 takedowns, had a sideway mount 3 different times.
Michael Bisping: Landed 24 strikes*, avoided 4 takedowns, no sub attempts.

Octagon Control: Much like round 2, with Bisping picking his shots but mostly getting stalked by Matt from the middle.

Standing: Bisping
Clinch: Bisping

*: Wanted to note I recorded love taps that Bisping did from underneath of Matt that did nothing, but I feel it evens out when you consider Bisping hit more power shots this round.

Notes: At no time was Bisping on top of Hamill on the ground. Matt never attempted a single kick, while Michael connected with 10. Matt Hamill is taller than Michael Bisping. I watched the fight multiple times without any sound, so I wouldn't get influenced by Goldy or Rogan.

I gave all 3 rounds to Hamill. The only way Bisping won the 3rd round is if they now give points on avoiding takedowns, which is stupid because that means they need to give points for avoiding strikes and subs then. And even though Matt's hands were down most of the last 2 rounds he blocked most of Bisping's strikes just by covering his face. Any way you work the system Hamill won this fight.

I agree with everything except the part about not awarding points for take down stuffs. I agree it is a defensive move, but it can be a hugely influential on a fight. When someone tries to put you on your back, it is from a neutral position (both fighters are standing) so one fighter is stopping the fight from taking place where he would be at a disadvantage. I think it ties into octagon control. When someone gets out of a submission he was already in trouble. Avoiding strikes I think doesn't make much difference. If a guy avoids strikes, and does something afterwards then sure, chalk one up, but he is just running away, then no, he shouldn't get points

Post #27   9/10/07 3:06:47AM   

Ydoc

Belt Contender

Ydoc Avatar

Career:1,371-849
Camp: Camp David
Chips:

Posted by ocho-cinco
I agree with everything except the part about not awarding points for take down stuffs. I agree it is a defensive move, but it can be a hugely influential on a fight. When someone tries to put you on your back, it is from a neutral position (both fighters are standing) so one fighter is stopping the fight from taking place where he would be at a disadvantage. I think it ties into octagon control. When someone gets out of a submission he was already in trouble. Avoiding strikes I think doesn't make much difference. If a guy avoids strikes, and does something afterwards then sure, chalk one up, but he is just running away, then no, he shouldn't get points

I wasn't awarding points for avoiding takedowns. Takedowns earn points in my book, and that's something that helps him win that last round in my opinion.

Post #28   9/10/07 6:47:13AM   

Sheddy

MMA Regular

Sheddy Avatar

Career:95-42
Chips:
Good observation.
Only thing is watching over and over again as opposed to the judges watching it live once.

I had the second and third very close.
Edged it to Bisping in the third with Hamill clearly winning the first.
Would say Hamill got the second too.

Post #29   9/10/07 9:00:43AM   

LR

In Full Mount

LR Avatar

Career:638-326
Chips:
Hamill clearly won the first, I'd give Bisping the third, the 2nd round in where the argument comes from. This breakdown works in Hamill's favor, but if you just watch the round, it's obvious Hamill did more. More aggression.

Post #30   9/10/07 9:37:08AM   

Page 2 of 4     1     2     3     4