Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Matt Hamill vs. Michael Bisping Dissected

Print  
  Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

Ydoc

Belt Contender

Ydoc Avatar

Career:1,371-849
Camp: Camp David
Chips:
Decided to watch the fight a few times and take down some numbers. I counted every strike that hit clean to any where on the body including striking on the ground, and ignored any glancing or guarded blows. I also noted Octagon control throughout each round. And kept track of takedowns and avoided takedowns, even though I don't think the latter deserves points since it is a defensive move.

Round 1:

Matt Hamill: Landed 48 strikes, 2 Takedowns, 4 standing guillotines used for dirty boxing.
Michael Bisping: Landed 30 strikes, 1 avoided takedown, no subs or sub attempts.

Octagon Control: Hamill stalked Bisping most of the round, with Bisping only coming forward to hit and run. At the end of the round Bisping was butt scooting away from a stalking Matt. Hamill won this aspect of the fight in every round.

Standing: Matt
Clinch: Matt
Ground: Matt

Round 2:

Matt Hamill: Landed 16 strikes, 2 takedowns, and had another standing guillotine used for dirty boxing.
Michael Bisping: Landed 14 strikes, had no takedowns but I'll give him a sub attempt for trying to use his rubber guard for a triangle (?).

Octagon Control: Bisping didn't run as much as the first round, instead he took to the outside while Matt stood in the middle stalking Bisping who for the most part jumped in a circle motion.

Standing: Matt
Clinch: Matt

Round 3:

Matt Hamill: Landed 23 strikes, 2 takedowns, had a sideway mount 3 different times.
Michael Bisping: Landed 24 strikes*, avoided 4 takedowns, no sub attempts.

Octagon Control: Much like round 2, with Bisping picking his shots but mostly getting stalked by Matt from the middle.

Standing: Bisping
Clinch: Bisping

*: Wanted to note I recorded love taps that Bisping did from underneath of Matt that did nothing, but I feel it evens out when you consider Bisping hit more power shots this round.

Judges Scores
Chris Watts: 30-27 for Hamill
Jeff Mullen: 29-28 for Bisping
Cecil Peoples: 29-28 for Bisping

Notes: At no time was Bisping on top of Hamill on the ground. Matt never attempted a single kick, while Michael connected with 10. Matt Hamill is taller than Michael Bisping. I watched the fight multiple times without any sound, so I wouldn't get influenced by Goldy or Rogan.

I gave all 3 rounds to Hamill. The only way Bisping won the 3rd round is if they now give points on avoiding takedowns, which is stupid because that means they need to give points for avoiding strikes and subs then. And even though Matt's hands were down most of the last 2 rounds he blocked most of Bisping's strikes just by covering his face. Any way you work the system Hamill won this fight.

Last edited 9/12/07 10:59PM server time by Ydoc
Edit note/reason: Added Judges Scores
2 total post edits

Post #1   9/9/07 7:23:19PM   

babalu2720

In Full Mount

babalu2720 Avatar

Career:1,245-647
Chips:
Wow, that was reallly helpful and clear...I gave the 2nd and 3rd to Bisping...I don't know u give Hamill the 3rd he was dead tired and Bisping landed manyy more power shots....You maybe changed my mind on the seond rd though and to be honest Hamill really didnt have a ton of ground and pound his ground game was mostly just positioing

Post #2   9/9/07 7:31:55PM   

Copenhagen

Good for Body and Soul

Copenhagen Avatar

Career:1,038-575
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
At first I thought this was going to be just another "that decision sucked" thread, but I was wrong. Nice research and nice points.

Post #3   9/9/07 7:32:38PM   

hotrodttt

Ridin the MMA WW since 02 !

hotrodttt Avatar

Career:2,535-1,352
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Nice thread , I agree , I gave all three rounds to Hamill , He got cheated so bad , Cecil Peoples should be banned from judging and reffing for life

Post #4   9/9/07 7:38:45PM   

scoozna

Liver shot!

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,185-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Nice breakdown. I could probably find it (but am lazy), what were the judges scores? My impression was that the fight was that it was pretty damn even, but Hamill's pressing forward and takedowns gave him a slight edge. You're numbers seem to prove that out.

Post #5   9/9/07 7:41:35PM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:
i gave bisping the third, at first i was really pissed at the decision, but after watching the fight again round 2 was close, i still think hammil took it but it was closer than i originally thought.

Post #6   9/9/07 7:41:59PM   

Ydoc

Belt Contender

Ydoc Avatar

Career:1,371-849
Camp: Camp David
Chips:

Posted by babalu2720

I don't know u give Hamill the 3rd he was dead tired and Bisping landed manyy more power shots.

Yeah... that round was the tightest, and it can really be argued either way. Bisping had some nice shots, including a nice kick, knee, and a good combo right before the fight ended after he snuffed another TD. But Matt was still having his way with him too much on the gorund, getting in sideguard 3 times and hit him with some solid elbows. And that first takedown Matt gets in the round is brutual, as he carries and pushes Bis up against the fence sideways. Matt was also still pushing Michael around by stalking him and commanded the middle of the octagon easily. To me Matt eked out the win for the third round.

Post #7   9/9/07 7:42:39PM   

garrick

MMA Regular

garrick Avatar

Career:222-122
Camp: Pitbulls
Chips:
nicely done. I gave 2 rounds to Hamill, one to Bisping. It was a wrong decision. But think if Bisping lost, all the UFC's England fans might not find it to cool, therefore popularity of the sport goes down. Not saying it's right though. that's the only thing I can think of. The Hammer Hamill got cheated.

Post #8   9/9/07 7:47:56PM   

babalu2720

In Full Mount

babalu2720 Avatar

Career:1,245-647
Chips:

Posted by Ydoc

Posted by babalu2720

I don't know u give Hamill the 3rd he was dead tired and Bisping landed manyy more power shots.

Yeah... that round was the tightest, and it can really be argued either way. Bisping had some nice shots, including a nice kick, knee, and a good combo right before the fight ended after he snuffed another TD. But Matt was still having his way with him too much on the gorund, getting in sideguard 3 times and hit him with some solid elbows. And that first takedown Matt gets in the round is brutual, as he carries and pushes Bis up against the fence sideways. Matt was also still pushing Michael around by stalking him and commanded the middle of the octagon easily. To me Matt eked out the win for the third round.

You get look at this fight 100 different times and get 100 different oponions and answers, but i'm glad u did this

Post #9   9/9/07 7:51:56PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
I like Hamill alot more after this fight. He handled the decision very well. He won that fight decisivly. I feel really bad for him, he deserved that fight.

Post #10   9/9/07 8:02:46PM   

ChokeUout

In Full Mount

ChokeUout Avatar

Career:446-268
Chips:
No matter which way you break this down, Hamill got robbed. I had the score 29-28 Hamill, and that's being generous because Hammil was close to winning the third round too.

Basically, I wonder what the score of the fight would have been if this fight was ANYWHERE else but in England.

PS...Who Else thought Matt Hamill was a Bad-ass for walking in to "Born in the USA" while facing a brit, In England? haha

Post #11   9/9/07 8:03:18PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by ChokeUout

No matter which way you break this down, Hamill got robbed. I had the score 29-28 Hamill, and that's being generous because Hammil was close to winning the third round too.

Basically, I wonder what the score of the fight would have been if this fight was ANYWHERE else but in England.

PS...Who Else thought Matt Hamill was a Bad-ass for walking in to "Born in the USA" while facing a brit, In England? haha

HAHAH I was just about to make a post concerning this. I didn't want Hammill to win at all going into the fight, but once that song came on I changed my mind and started rooting for him. I thought that was an awesome song pick

Post #12   9/9/07 8:12:06PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Oh, and to Ydoc- very nice and thorough post. I'd like to go back over it and watch it myself to count it out, but I trust that your numbers are either right on or very close to it.

Post #13   9/9/07 8:13:24PM   

MattHughesFan

MMA Regular

MattHughesFan Avatar

Career:294-174
Camp: The Pit
Chips:

That was a great dissection, it's pretty clear who won that fight and u factually proved it. I'm pretty sure if this fight happened anywhere else but england Hamil would have won. and btw i absolutely went crazy when Hamil came out to Born in the USA and had the American fighter shirt. he will be forever one of my favorite fighters for that. and u could pretty much see Bisping knew he lost after the final bell sounded but for some reason both him nor Rogan gave even the slightest thought that the fight may have gone the wrong way after the decision was read. pretty weird.

Post #14   9/9/07 8:52:19PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
Gave you props for saving me the trouble. Well done.

I didn't watch Hamill's reactio to the decision because I was so pissed off, but I can tell you that I would be thinking of leaving the UFC if I was in Matt's position. That would be a real downer considering how much he has improved and how well he did.

Post #15   9/9/07 8:58:24PM   

Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4