Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

an idiots thoughts on tonights fights

Print  
Posted By Message

bryan

Learning to Sprawl

Career:138-112
Camp: Team Bullshido
Chips:
1)houston alexander is the real deal.
this guy goes in head straight up and wants to please the crowd, i'll never doubt this guy again.
sakara, you are a gatekeeper and a fun one at that, but awesome tatts dont make the fighter

2)marcus davis, you were out and were lucky the fight wasnt stopped, and even luckier that when you rode too high in the mount you found an armbar

paul taylor, you deserve to be back in the ufc, you pushed the fight and got caught, no shame for you my friend

3)Cro Cop, you are my favorite fighter, but you ran all night and made this kongo's match. how did you lose this one?

Kongo, smart fight after losing the first, CC isnt the same fighter on his heels and you exposed it. you are officially in the HW mix, and you deserve it

4)bisping, count your lucky stars, you lost this fight , but the judges couldnt have the hometown hero lose, even if the one clear-headed judge saw it 30-27

hamill you arent just a wrestler, your hands are heavy, and your takedowns are now MMA crisp. you, young man have a real future in this sport, im sorry you got tagged with a BS loss even though i doubted you before the fight. you are a true contender for a shot at greatness in the near future.

5)rampage you have wowed me yet again. juanito has you looking as good as youve ever been. controlling hendo on the ground and absorbing his punches shows why you are the LHW champion of the world. thanks for being a character that can draw fans to the sport and still being a top notch fighter thats not only glitz

hendo, once again you showed your heart and toughness, you just ran into a determined page tonight. no one can ever discredit your heart or ability when you are fighting. im hoping to see you fight again and soon at 185, and throw a wrench into the silva franklin mix. you sir are a warrior.

there are my drunken rantings for the night, thanks for the read and thanks to the ufc for yet another night of stellar fights.

Post #1   9/9/07 4:20:31AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,487-1,427
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
i just posted this thread, but my cousin was logged in so its in his name. i still stand by everything i said.

Post #2   9/9/07 4:31:53AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
Well I agree with the majority of it but I don't really think there was any problem with the Davis fight at all. Taylor hurt him badly, but no he did not knock him unconscious. The fault lies with Taylor for throwing a series of weak hammerfists instead of posturing up and throwing actual stopping-power punches, he made a mistake and allowed his opponent time to recover. He was hurt, he wasn't out. Paul made a bad move and he suffered the consequences, that's no one's fault but his own.

I also really don't think that Hamill won that fight 30-27. I would have given it to him 29-28 but the second round was closer than people make it out to be and the third went to Bisping. I agree it was a bad call, but I think people are exaggerating just how big a gap there was in their performances.

Post #3   9/9/07 9:07:39AM   

silverbullet

Shrimpin' ain't easy

Career:144-82
Chips:
Paul Taylor couldn't finish the fight even after knocking Davis uncounscious. You know that you're outclassed when you knock the guy out, and then he armbars you. As far as sitting too high in the mount, I wouldn't be surprised that Davis was looking for that armbar, knowing well that if he lost position and ended up in Taylor's guard he would be fine, because Taylor is no match for him on the ground.

Davis is amazingly tough, I can't wait for his next fight.

Post #4   9/9/07 9:26:14AM   

StorminYourman

Belt Contender

StorminYourman Avatar

Career:1,106-639
Chips:

Posted by bryan

1)houston alexander is the real deal.
this guy goes in head straight up and wants to please the crowd, i'll never doubt this guy again.
sakara, you are a gatekeeper and a fun one at that, but awesome tatts dont make the fighter

2)marcus davis, you were out and were lucky the fight wasnt stopped, and even luckier that when you rode too high in the mount you found an armbar

paul taylor, you deserve to be back in the ufc, you pushed the fight and got caught, no shame for you my friend

3)Cro Cop, you are my favorite fighter, but you ran all night and made this kongo's match. how did you lose this one?

Kongo, smart fight after losing the first, CC isnt the same fighter on his heels and you exposed it. you are officially in the HW mix, and you deserve it

4)bisping, count your lucky stars, you lost this fight , but the judges couldnt have the hometown hero lose, even if the one clear-headed judge saw it 30-27

hamill you arent just a wrestler, your hands are heavy, and your takedowns are now MMA crisp. you, young man have a real future in this sport, im sorry you got tagged with a BS loss even though i doubted you before the fight. you are a true contender for a shot at greatness in the near future.

5)rampage you have wowed me yet again. juanito has you looking as good as youve ever been. controlling hendo on the ground and absorbing his punches shows why you are the LHW champion of the world. thanks for being a character that can draw fans to the sport and still being a top notch fighter thats not only glitz

hendo, once again you showed your heart and toughness, you just ran into a determined page tonight. no one can ever discredit your heart or ability when you are fighting. im hoping to see you fight again and soon at 185, and throw a wrench into the silva franklin mix. you sir are a warrior.

there are my drunken rantings for the night, thanks for the read and thanks to the ufc for yet another night of stellar fights.

Post #5   9/9/07 12:10:34PM   

Ydoc

Belt Contender

Ydoc Avatar

Career:1,371-849
Camp: Camp David
Chips:
Some interesting observations, but I don't think you gave Davis enough credit. The guy had the right amount of heart and skill to pull off what he did last night, and I'm not going to short change him on that performance.

That shit ranks right behind Hughes vs. Trigg on best comeback ever.

Post #6   9/9/07 4:40:29PM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,782-1,124
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
What a night all around good show

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #7   9/9/07 4:55:19PM   

JWils

Standup Guy

JWils Avatar

Career:1,467-773
Chips:
I agree it was a great night of fights....

1) Rampage really impressed me with his cardio. His strength and conditioning was the difference between two great fighters. Great championship fight.

2) I liked Bisping before last night but after he show Hamill no respect after a very close, tough fight, I am not really a fan. He should just be happy the decision went his way.

3) I think Cro Cop has lost his "edge". I don't know if he'll make it back to the top again. Very disappointing.

4) What a fight between Davis and Taylor. That was one of my favorite fights so far this year. Davis showed tremendous heart and toughness.

5) Houston has earned a shot with one of the big dogs in the LHW division. You're not supposed to just walk into the cage and dismantle UFC competition that quickly. Very, very explosive fighter.

Post #8   9/9/07 7:24:09PM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
i liked all the fights, not all the winners hint hint but great fights

Post #9   9/10/07 12:28:50AM   

legkick

Learning to Sprawl

legkick Avatar

Career:301-168
Chips:

Posted by Aether

Well I agree with the majority of it but I don't really think there was any problem with the Davis fight at all. Taylor hurt him badly, but no he did not knock him unconscious. The fault lies with Taylor for throwing a series of weak hammerfists instead of posturing up and throwing actual stopping-power punches, he made a mistake and allowed his opponent time to recover. He was hurt, he wasn't out. Paul made a bad move and he suffered the consequences, that's no one's fault but his own.

I also really don't think that Hamill won that fight 30-27. I would have given it to him 29-28 but the second round was closer than people make it out to be and the third went to Bisping. I agree it was a bad call, but I think people are exaggerating just how big a gap there was in their performances.

Thats funny becasue I thought that the 2nd def. went to Bisping while the 3rd was a toss-up. Close fight.

Post #10   9/10/07 4:13:21PM   

hook_tothe_body

Standup Guy

hook_tothe_body Avatar

Career:415-290
Camp: 368
Chips:

Posted by Aether

I can't say for sure if Davis was out or not. All I can really give an opinion on is that the ref looked so close to stopping the fight. Even though Davis was fighting the whole time, it kind of looked like the ref was ready to step in, but at the last split second Davis moved enough and kept fighting enough to tell let the ref know that he was badly hurt, but he would continue.

I think if Paul would have hit Davis with just a few more hammer fists before Davis recovered half guard, the ref would have stepped in. Such a good fight!

And I agree with basically everything cowcatcher said in the first post.

Post #11   9/10/07 4:34:46PM