Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Where is Boxing’s Rampage vs. Henderson?

Print  
Posted By Message

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
There’s a great fight this Saturday, one sure to garner mainstream press and millions of eyes. It doesn’t cost fifty dollars. It doesn’t even cost the premium channel ten or so per month. This one is free as long as you’re one of the just-about-everyone who has basic cable.

LINK

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #1   9/8/07 9:10:51AM   

spider1179

MMA Regular

spider1179 Avatar

Career:788-526
Chips:
I'm impressed, an intelligent article about MMA from a boxing guy. :

Post #2   9/8/07 1:04:40PM   

bootyclause

MMA Regular

Career:1,044-777
Chips:
wow, the comparison is so far off. i hate boxing but i know that pacquio vs barrera is much bigger for that sport than Hendo vs Page in this sport.

hendo vs page was big for the pride fans.....but when it was still UFC vs Pride, Pride was gettig 10% of the PPV viewers that UFC got in the US. and even the pride fans who hate ufc couldnt say that either guy is top 2 at LHW - page has gotten beaten up by Chute Boxe and Henderson has around a .500 record against HW and LHW fighters. liddell still belongs higher in the rankings than dan.

so if u took maybe the 3rd and 5th best guy at a popluar weight class in boxing - that is hendo v page. AND, hate to break it to this guy but they have fights of that caliber like every other month on HBO - more or less as "free" as Spike TV.

also, i really hope there weren't high ratings for UFC 75 cuz it was bad for the sport - Bisping fight was fixed and the title fight was slow (and im not saying that just cuz they were on the ground - it was a slow fight). so in that sesnse UFC 75 was like boxing.

Post #3   9/9/07 9:25:41AM   

guccimane

Banned

Career:22-15
Chips:
I disagree. I'm a huge boxing fan, but unless they have a unified title fight (Hopkins vs Trinidad), this fight is far bigger. I agree with your take on Rampage and Hendo, but I think Hendo is far superior then Chuck. If Chuck fought Hendo's comp his record would look similar, not to mention Dan is naturally a smaller guy. Pacman vs Barrera isn't bigger, Barrera is regarded as past his prime, and its regarded as an easy fight for Pac (I'm putting money down on Barrera and predict the upset)...Bisping's fight wasn't fixed anymore then Taylor vs Hopkins, and I thought the main event was a good back and forth slugfest. I think PRIDE's cards were far superior to the current UFC's, but UFC 76 Knockout looks like the most stacked 205 card the UFC has ever produced.

Post #4   9/9/07 10:47:24PM