Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Anderson Silva vs. Travis Lutter *spoilers*

Print  
Posted By Message

GNP4LYFE

Learning to Sprawl

GNP4LYFE Avatar

Career:185-110
Camp: TheAxeMurdererz
Chips:
I've been reading a lot of disrespect towards Anderson Silva, which I believe is uncalled for. Though I admit he had no answer for Lutter's takedowns, he certainly overcame his rocky moments. What makes a great fighter is how he recovers from what he is hit with. Fedor, the greatest fighter in the world, always seems to be in a bit of trouble in his fights; however, in the end he always takes it. Anderson kept his composure and tapped Lutter out. I still see Silva as a force to be reckoned with as long as he tunes up his takedown defense (which I'm sure he will)

Post #1   2/4/07 3:27:44AM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:

Posted by GNP4LYFE

I've been reading a lot of disrespect towards Anderson Silva, which I believe is uncalled for. Though I admit he had no answer for Lutter's takedowns, he certainly overcame his rocky moments. What makes a great fighter is how he recovers from what he is hit with. Fedor, the greatest fighter in the world, always seems to be in a bit of trouble in his fights; however, in the end he always takes it. Anderson kept his composure and tapped Lutter out. I still see Silva as a force to be reckoned with as long as he tunes up his takedown defense (which I'm sure he will)

,but its not that they are disrespecting Anderson,its that they were Underrating Lutter's abilities....Lutter is no joke

Post #2   2/4/07 3:32:32AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,967-1,114
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I haven't read anything bad about him. It seem's to me Lutter has very boring, but effective takedowns. Silva shocked me with the sub. I ( and the overwhelming amount of MMA fans) obviously thought that Silva would KO him. Props to Silva for the sweet sub.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #3   2/4/07 3:32:57AM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

I haven't read anything bad about him. It seem's to me Lutter has very boring, but effective takedowns. Silva shocked me with the sub. I ( and the overwhelming amount of MMA fans) obviously thought that Silva would KO him. Props to Silva for the sweet sub.

Sweet sub indeed....i was just thinking if Anderson had a little more meat on his legs he would of choked his out much earlier..his legs are a little too long to really sink that Triangle in good

Last edited 2/4/07 3:38AM server time by Trapt1nw0nder
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   2/4/07 3:37:26AM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:
I meant no disrespect towards Silva. However, after he defeated Franklin, many now have him pegged as champion for years to come. I believe Lutter exposed his takedown defense. Yes, Lutter is no joke and yes Silva overcame Lutters attack, esp. when Lutter was standing over top of hm and dropping bombs. I was disappointed in Sliva takedown defense. Lutters shots were marginal at best. Though I did have 4 wisdom teeth taken out Friday, so I am a vicadin generis and drank two beers

Post #5   2/4/07 3:40:06AM   

jmoooooo

MMA Regular

jmoooooo Avatar

Career:501-328
Chips:
lutter not making weight for a title fight=joke.

and if you watch the smack lutter was talking prefight about how good his ground game is, and how silva would be in trouble if it went to the ground, im not so sure silva didnt want it on the ground. i dont think silva was ever in any danger, he looked very calm, very composed, very confident....and that body triangle was sweet. lay under lutter, not taking any damage, wait for him to screw up and sub him, or wait for it to be stood back up and KO him. I think silva was happy no matter where the fight took place...but to sub lutter after all his talk about how good his bjj game is.....priceless.

Post #6   2/4/07 6:36:19AM   

crimethinc

MMA Regular

crimethinc Avatar

Career:81-61
Camp: Camp Baby Dumpster
Chips:

Posted by jmoooooo

lutter not making weight for a title fight=joke.

Yeah, it kind of made TUF 4 a huge waste of time. Wasn't the entire point of that season to give a title shot to an undeserving opponent. I think the only surprise about this fight was that it went to round 2. I just want to get past Serra vs. GSP and get back to champs fighting #1 contenders the way it's supposed to be.

Post #7   2/4/07 6:44:46AM   

D-Boy

MMA Regular

D-Boy Avatar

Career:264-172
Chips:
I don't think he did that badly, Travis Lutter is a 1D kind of guy so he must be good at what he does. He had great defence on the ground I thought and it was a good finish

Post #8   2/4/07 8:15:50AM   

GladE8R

Learning to Sprawl

GladE8R Avatar

Career:73-49
Chips:
You guys have to get real about one simple thing...Lutter HAD Silva at the end of the first round....Full mount, and he missed the arm for the armbar. It wasnt Silvas expertise that got him through that, it was Lutters screw up. ONe of MANY in a 24 hour period.

In fairness his cutting weight made him look slow and beaten before the fight started. But it was razor close to being over if Lutter could have just done a little more or caught that arm the way he would have 99 out of 100 times.

I have all the respect in the world for Silva. He won....fair enough. Im not here to take anything away from him. But the reality of this is that had Lutter made the weight, felt good going into the fight, did NOT have the mental and emotional baggage, I think we might have a new MW champion today.

And for the RECORD...I had Silva like the other 99% of the people here...so this post is in no way intended to be anything more than it is. This really is a fair assessment of the fight.

Post #9   2/4/07 3:11:09PM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:
It isn't his takedown defence as much as his willingness to engage and bring it on that makes him vulnerable to takedowns. And he survived on the ground and did put Lutter in the traingle (even though I still don't think it was that triangle that made Lutter tap.)

Pretty impressive performance by the champ and it answered a lot of questions about his ground game compared to ground masters.

Post #10   2/4/07 3:17:36PM   

GladE8R

Learning to Sprawl

GladE8R Avatar

Chips:
I think that fight was Franklins blueprint to beat Silva. If Franklin had Silva mounted, it would be over....

I dont think Franklin plans to out Muay Thai him in the next fight...at least Richs nose doesnt want any part of that. I guess Franklin will try to take him down and GNP him....We will see...

And once I see Silva against a strong wrestling GNP guy, and Silva wins in that TYPE of fight, I will finally be willing to convinced that Anderson needs to be considered one of the best P4P.

Post #11   2/4/07 3:23:12PM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:

Posted by GladE8R

I think that fight was Franklins blueprint to beat Silva. If Franklin had Silva mounted, it would be over....

I dont think Franklin plans to out Muay Thai him in the next fight...at least Richs nose doesnt want any part of that. I guess Franklin will try to take him down and GNP him....We will see...

And once I see Silva against a strong wrestling GNP guy, and Silva wins in that TYPE of fight, I will finally be willing to convinced that Anderson needs to be considered one of the best P4P.

"at least Richs nose doesnt want any part of that. " made me giggle.
I don't think Franklin's got the JJ to get there as Lutter did and I think Franklins answer to upkicks is too back up, not to try to take side. That's just my hunch.

Post #12   2/4/07 3:31:22PM   

GladE8R

Learning to Sprawl

GladE8R Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Stickan

Posted by GladE8R

"at least Richs nose doesnt want any part of that. " made me giggle.
I don't think Franklin's got the JJ to get there as Lutter did and I think Franklins answer to upkicks is too back up, not to try to take side. That's just my hunch.

Cool is was meant to be funny....

But lets be honest....Lutters shots were WEAK last night. One time he Lutter took him down by one of his feet. That made me really question Silvas grappling, not his BJJ. I think Richs shot is ALOT better than Lutters last night.

But thats why they fight the fight...and maybe next time Rich wont look like he is on Heroine before the fight....(that was a joke too...just in case)

And yes when they do fight...I will be betting on Franklin...so I will be open to bets....LOL

Post #13   2/4/07 3:40:01PM   

argile

MMA Regular

argile Avatar

Career:103-59
Camp: Kamikaze
Chips:
Silva made a fan outta me yesterday, Lutter did good aside from taking knees and kicks was the only way he could get Anderson down, Lutter should of stayed in mount.

Post #14   2/4/07 7:44:58PM   

bayonetxwork

In Full Mount

bayonetxwork Avatar

Career:114-60
Camp: TUFFS Fight Club
Chips:
I haven't read anything bad about Silva either...

Post #15   2/4/07 8:06:11PM