Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Anthony Torres vs. Jess Liaudin

Print  
Posted By Message

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
So I haven't heard much on this fight and I don't know much about either fighter. What is everyone thinking?

From the interviews I've seen it seems like Jess Liaudin isn't taking things too serious, here. He admitted he hasn't watched video of Torres, even. Other than Sherdog and the UFC.com videos my knowledge of these guys is really weak. Anybody want to help me out here?

Post #1   9/7/07 6:15:05PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:
bump

Post #2   9/7/07 8:11:28PM   

LR

In Full Mount

LR Avatar

Career:638-326
Chips:
Torres actually has one impressive win that most people didn't see coming, the win over Pat Healy. Healy isn't exactly a pushover, he is 18-12, but a lot of his losses are to some big name guys. A lot of people were impressed by that win.

Liaudin, on the other hand, has went through a tear recently. I've seen some of his recent fights and fans have noted that he looks to be in much better shape that he has been in a lot of his previous fights. He's very skilled on the ground, has had some nice ju-jitsu leg holds, etc. He can bang and take you down pretty easily as well, and he has been fighting in the UK a lot, most likely why he is on that card, name recognition.

Torres's win over Healy was fairly impressive and might be enough to swing a vote to pick him for this bout, Liaudin does have a good amount of weaknesses, but he hasn't shown them much in his last few fights, should be a decent matchup.

Post #3   9/7/07 9:03:14PM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:

Posted by LR

Torres actually has one impressive win that most people didn't see coming, the win over Pat Healy. Healy isn't exactly a pushover, he is 18-12, but a lot of his losses are to some big name guys. A lot of people were impressed by that win.

I'm definately one of those who were very surprised by that win. Torres looked far from good on TUF.
Apart from what LR already said I'm kind of leaning towards Liaudin at the moment because of who he trains with. He trains at Team Quest with Henderson, Soko etc. He has already been beat worse there than Torres can ever beat him.
And who is Torres training with!?

Last edited 9/7/07 10:41PM server time by Stickan
Edit note/reason: confused Team Quest with Rampages camp :banghead:

Post #4   9/7/07 9:12:02PM   

Believe-in-judo81

Standup Guy

Believe-in-judo81 Avatar

Career:288-153
Chips:
Kind of a rough fight to call, Liaudin has the experience edge and is VERY good at some aspects of the MMA game but also has some really huge holes that a well rounded guy with sub defense and conditioning has a solid chance to exploit. I see it as Torres's fight to win or lose, if he trained well and comes in ready to push and fight hard for 15 minutes and with an idea of what to look at for and capitalize on from Liaudin he can win it. But if he slacks off or makes a mistake Liaudin is crafty and experienced enough to capitalize and end his night early.

Post #5   9/8/07 12:50:52AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:
Thanks for the input, guys. I had picked Torres to win by sub just by looking at their records and pieces of interviews/fights I could find on the net. Seemed to me that Torres is a level headed guy who is taking his opponent seriously and the Joker seems a little overconfident and hasn't studied his opponent.

Post #6   9/8/07 1:14:42AM   

SteedTheDeed

Standup Guy

SteedTheDeed Avatar

Career:786-501
Chips:
Torres always surprises me, so i will go with him.

Post #7   9/8/07 4:05:13AM