Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Rivera/Martin

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

crimethinc

MMA Regular

crimethinc Avatar

Career:81-61
Camp: Camp Baby Dumpster
Chips:
I was going to open this post by asking, "Was anyone really surprised that Terry Martin Ko'd Jorge Rivera?" But apparently 1422 people were. I think this is a perfect example of how much of a credibility boost TUF can have on a fighter. I'm not taking anything away from Jorge, I had a surprise in that fight too. I though Rivera might make it to round 2. Silly me.

Post #1   2/4/07 3:01:00AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,916-1,077
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by crimethinc

I was going to open this post by asking, "Was anyone really surprised that Terry Martin Ko'd Jorge Rivera?" But apparently 1422 people were. I think this is a perfect example of how much of a credibility boost TUF can have on a fighter. I'm not taking anything away from Jorge, I had a surprise in that fight too. I though Rivera might make it to round 2. Silly me.

I think they are both B-level fighter's and thought they would just alternately bore us with the occasinal flurry thrown in for flair. I definately didn't think it would be a 14 second fight. The are both usually kind of cautios IMO.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #2   2/4/07 3:08:58AM   

JoeMimic

MMA Regular

JoeMimic Avatar

Career:1,741-1,058
Camp: The Underground
Chips:
I thought it would be a longer fight for sure and I thought Jorge would pull it out but Martin surprised everyone. A little cocky on the hardest hitter in the 185 division statement but he was impressive. I have a feeling he might be Chris Leben's next bout.

Post #3   2/4/07 3:15:32AM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:
C+ level fighters for me......what was funny for me was how Martin quickly started calling out top contenders like if this win assures him a fight with them.....he needs 2-3 more wins before he can start calling them out

Post #4   2/4/07 3:20:25AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
I figured the reach advantage, cardio and stand-up skills would be too much for Martin to handle, and he'd eat it last in the First round. Turns out the exact opposite happened.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #5   2/4/07 3:48:32AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,916-1,077
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

C+ level fighters for me......what was funny for me was how Martin quickly started calling out top contenders like if this win assures him a fight with them.....he needs 2-3 more wins before he can start calling them out

i think Swick would flurry and KO him in the first , if he got unlucky enough to fight him. He would go for he takedown as soon as he started getting hit anyway IMO.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #6   2/4/07 4:50:21AM   

jmoooooo

MMA Regular

jmoooooo Avatar

Career:501-328
Chips:
TUF didnt boost my opinion of jorge, martins previous performances lowered my opinion of him.......hes been neither consistent or impressive, along with poor conditioning in the past, and rather boring fights (until he gets knocked out usually)...

i picked jorge by decision.....i was wrong on 2 fights tonight...that was one of them. the other i dont mind being wrong about (edgar/griffin) as that was the best fight of the night, and they were both impressive

Post #7   2/4/07 5:59:14AM   

crimethinc

MMA Regular

crimethinc Avatar

Career:81-61
Camp: Camp Baby Dumpster
Chips:

Posted by jmoooooo

TUF didnt boost my opinion of jorge, martins previous performances lowered my opinion of him.......hes been neither consistent or impressive, along with poor conditioning in the past, and rather boring fights (until he gets knocked out usually)...

Martin has a now 15-2 record. With 9 KO's 5 Subs and only 1 decision. He's got two KO losses but his only decision was his first fight. 6 of his wins were in Round 1 and none of his UFC fights have gone to a third round. You must be hard to impress.

Post #8   2/4/07 6:33:49AM   

Rezen

Learning to Sprawl

Rezen Avatar

Career:304-165
Chips:
Not surprised by Terry at all. I won 100 bucks on him. And the guy calling him a C level fighters need to go look at his record and examine what a C level fighter is. Martin is above average and to make to the UFC you have to be above average. (except Pointon and afew other TUFers)

Post #9   2/4/07 9:24:43AM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
Jorge threw a lazy kick and paid dearly for it. In this sport you have to "bring it" or you're getting hurt.

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #10   2/4/07 11:03:37AM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
a quick KO often means not much. It is a win yes but most often the fighter just gets a lucky punch. Still a win is a win and they did it legit. so all the more credit to Terry. My pick was Jorge by they way. God Dam Tuf does influence you. that fight was to close going in to lay money down on.

Post #11   2/4/07 11:16:39AM   

shawneth

MMA Regular

shawneth Avatar

Career:397-201
Chips:
Rivera has shown evidence of a week chin in the past, like in the Leben fight. Martin does hit hard though.

Post #12   2/4/07 12:34:11PM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:

Posted by crimethinc

So did I. I had Martin KOing him in the 2nd.

But those punches were mean. Good call by Herb to stop the fight cuz it could've gone bad had it continued.

Post #13   2/4/07 3:19:36PM   

GladE8R

Learning to Sprawl

GladE8R Avatar

Career:73-49
Chips:
I had him ko ing him in the first, but I didnt guess 14 seconds....LOL...big punch against weak chin...enough said....

Post #14   2/4/07 3:42:25PM   

TwistedTyrant

Learning to Sprawl

TwistedTyrant Avatar

Career:342-202
Camp: Partridge Brothers Fight Club
Chips:
I knew he would win, but not that fast. After all Rivera gave Franklin some trouble so I am amazed how fast he was gone. Anyways, Martin got me $50 so thanks Terry

Post #15   2/4/07 8:29:35PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2