Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dana White: Wanderlei Silva vs. Chuck Liddell “Possible” for UFC 79

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

aznteabagger

In Full Mount

aznteabagger Avatar

Career:618-368
Chips:
Sam Caplan, editor of fiveounchesofpain.com and a UFCjunkie.com (www.ufcjunkie.com) contributor, recently scored an elusive interview with UFC President Dana White. And while a number of interesting tidbits came out of the conversation, MMA fans will probably be most interested to hear that a much-anticipated bout between Wanderlei Silva and Chuck Liddell could happen at UFC 79 in December.

LINK

Post #1   9/5/07 10:50:33PM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
i hope he wins his next fight id love to see that fight

Post #2   9/5/07 10:52:13PM   

guccimane

Banned

Career:22-15
Chips:
This interview is a bit old, but a good post nonetheless. It shows how arrogant Dana White is. Sure he got a cable deal with SpikeTV, but big deal. If the Fertitta's dont reign this guy in or ultimately fire him, the UFC will fold in the next 10 years. Fedor, Josh Barnett, Mark Hunt, Takanori Gomi, Shinya Aoki, Sakurai etc. are all elite level fighters that are better then the majority of the UFC.

BTW, there's no way Chuck will be fighting Wanderlei in December. He's fighting at the end of September, so that's three months exactly. If things break perfect he will fight Wanderlei, but I won't be surprised if Jardine hurts Chuck or even knocks him out.

Post #3   9/5/07 11:48:31PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
Disagree, I'm not a dana fan by any means, but he's done alot for the sport, he's a very good business man in the way that he's a hard ass, and you can't let people walk all over you or you won't succeed. Yeah all those fighters are around, but guess what if they don't want to sign it's hard to sign em right? The japanese fighters want to stay in japanese orgs for the most part. There are seperate issues for the other guys.

Post #4   9/6/07 12:25:14AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,835-1,784
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
The only guys I want to see in the UFC from your list is Gomi and Fedor. I don't expect to see Gomi any time soon, if at all. I think Dana has done great for the sport and even though most don't like him I think you need to take it professionally instead of personally. Chuck VS Wandy + BIG $$$. Both for the UFC organization and for it's fighters!

Post #5   9/6/07 12:32:42AM   

guccimane

Banned

Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

The only guys I want to see in the UFC from your list is Gomi and Fedor. I don't expect to see Gomi any time soon, if at all. I think Dana has done great for the sport and even though most don't like him I think you need to take it professionally instead of personally. Chuck VS Wandy + BIG $$$. Both for the UFC organization and for it's fighters!

So you don't want to see Mark Hunt in the UFC?? Or Shinya Aoki??? What about Barnett??? Didn't he beat Nog??? Is he not as good as Kongo??

People keep talking about what Dana's done for the sport, yet fail to realize he makes business decisions based on his personal ego. You say don't take it personal it's business, well my business sense tells me Josh Barnett and Mark Hunt are better then 95% of the guys in the UFC. Gomi loves Las Vegas, he said so himself, he'd fight for UFC if the money is right. He already said he wanted to fight GSP and Matt Hughes and wanted a rematch with BJ Penn. Dana makes quotes in that interview like "the deal would be done if I wasn't President." When a guy drops the f bomb and calls competing orgs "shitty" that's not professional, that's personal. He needs a crash course 101 on business ethics and etiquette. He doesn't want the UFC to have an image of bar fighters, yet that's how he talks.

When mainstream media hears a President use "professionalism" like that, it's hard for them to take the sport serious. Aside from all that, I'd rather see the best fighters compete in the current best org. The Fertitta's have the money and have basically wrote Dana a blank cheque, he can sign these guys. However he lets his personal ego get in the way. You wouldn't want to see Frank Shamrock fight Anderson Silva or Rich Franklin?? Barnett vs Couture 2?? Mark Hunt vs anybody?? Come on.

Post #6   9/6/07 12:42:40AM   

Ordep

Go Falcons!

Ordep Avatar

Career:1,039-621
Camp: Beat Down System
Chips:
ok.. I'm a big Pride fan, but realistic at the same time. Dana brought a lot of people from Pride and I would like to see some of those that you mentioned, but take it easy and be real, there are a lot of fighters in the UFC already that have valid contracts and bringing those big names in a short period of time maybe harmful in terms of $$$$. Why? You're paying a lot to these guys plus you have a lot of new names that regular fans have never heard about, sad but true, this is not pure entertainment, some people feeds their family out of this (thinking about the fighters that won't get a renewal).

Ok about the topic... my cousin told me that he saw an UFC trailer where the anouner said something like " the winner will be the next contender for the belt.." when talking about the Chuck and Keith fight, anyone knows about this? probably he was kidding. I know that Dana said Shogun if he wins.

Also IMO I think that Chuck will fight Silvia even if he loses to Jardine, of course, Dana will give him the chance because if he beat Wand the "Jardine loss" will fade moving his little crybaby up in the waiting list for the title shot.

Post #7   9/6/07 1:18:47AM   

guccimane

Banned

Chips:
Well if Chuck loses he will never be cleared to fight, so count that out. Maybe down the road, but not at Silva's debut.

Last time I checked Gonzaga was a nobody that had an embarassing performance (I know why I'm saying from an average fans perspective) vs Kevin Jordan. All it took was one KO of CC and he gets a title shot and everybody thinks hes the man to beat Fedor (LOL)

Mark Hunt would be more popular then any HW other then Couture due to his personality and fighting style. Not only that but he'd mop the floor with most of the division. Takanori Gomi is insane, even in defeat (Diaz) he puts on crowd pleasing fights, and they could market him as the big Japanese villain (USA! USA!)...Look at UFC 75 and the first 2 undercard fights, and look at UFN and UFC 76. Lots of bums and cans nobody cares about. Bisping vs Hamill?? Please. MMA fans aren't stupid. Show them talent and excitement and that will bring in more cash then 2 years of bullshit promos. This isn't the WWE.

Post #8   9/6/07 2:59:06AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,572-930
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Mark Hunt would be so freaking awesome in the UFC.So would Barnett!!!!
As long as Dana is around though we will never get to see some of that top compettition.You want to know what would get me watching The Ultimate Fighter again?

Put these guys in the house

Mark Hunt
Josh Barnett

Hell,just give them 2 their own reality show and it would probably be the greatest thing to ever hit cable tv.

Post #9   9/6/07 6:48:41AM   

bezun

Banned

Career:146-107
Chips:
I would love to see hunt in the mix. I just saw his fight with wanderlei and from that one and the yoshida fight, he's up there with my favorites. I think the problem is that there are no good match-ups for some of the unsigned fighters. Who would out strike hunt? Who will out work Barnett?

Post #10   9/6/07 11:41:48AM   

guccimane

Banned

Chips:
Both of you guys are right, and both are gettin props. NOBODY can stand with Mark Hunt in the UFC, he'd destroy AA and Sylvia. Watch his K-1 fight vs Ray Sefo, he lets the hardest puncher in K-1 hit him repeatedly in the fact with his hands at his side. The guy is a maniac. Barnett would only have trouble vs CroCop. Other then that, he'd slap around Vera, AA, Sylvia, Gonzaga etc. But hey, we get to see Cheick Kongo and Christian the Nightmare Wellisch or whatever, who needs those guys?!!

Post #11   9/6/07 3:07:43PM   

lemandp

Banned

Career:18-13
Chips:
I agree with everything the 3 of you have said. BRING ON HUNT!!!!!

Post #12   9/6/07 3:37:32PM   

GrandMaster313

In Full Mount

GrandMaster313 Avatar

Career:1,018-656
Chips:
wont happen this year............ stop talking about it........

Post #13   9/6/07 4:51:56PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by guccimane

Both of you guys are right, and both are gettin props. NOBODY can stand with Mark Hunt in the UFC, he'd destroy AA and Sylvia. Watch his K-1 fight vs Ray Sefo, he lets the hardest puncher in K-1 hit him repeatedly in the fact with his hands at his side. The guy is a maniac. Barnett would only have trouble vs CroCop. Other then that, he'd slap around Vera, AA, Sylvia, Gonzaga etc. But hey, we get to see Cheick Kongo and Christian the Nightmare Wellisch or whatever, who needs those guys?!!

Haha, props to you for this post and the one above it.

And while we're exposing guys like Bisping you might as well throw Huerta in there, too. It's plain to see that they keep getting cans thrown at them because the two markets Zuffa is going after right now are

A) England (Bisping)
B) Mexico (Huerta)

And what do you know? All of the sudden we have 2 UFC's taking place in England and Dana in interviews has said he's in talks with Mexico to put a show on there. I'm all for business if I was a business man, but I really think quality fights will bring in the business you need- not b.s. hyping of overrated fighters.

Not only that but Dana has specifically said in other interviews that he's targeting a latin american fan base. Huerta... AGAIN.

Post #14   9/6/07 5:00:19PM   

bezun

Banned

Career:146-107
Chips:
I would like to see hunt Fight couture just to see what would happen between two fighters who are at the top of ladder in their respective styles. Couture would end it fast if he can keep hunt down, and hunt would give randy a heart attack if he caught one of those left hooks.

Post #15   9/6/07 6:49:39PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2