Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

MMA in danger?

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Kastro

Standup Guy

Kastro Avatar

Career:474-316
Camp: The Tactical Underground
Chips:
If they dont like it, then they shouldn't watch it..

Stuff like this really pisses me off, boxing has been around for decades and has claimed peoples LIVES but it still continues... MMA is actually safer than boxing IMO (boxing is all straigh punches, most to the head, in a fight a boxer can take over 100 punches to the head) and there is always a referee by the fighters side and doctors at ringside..

You can get "brain damage" from smoking crack, but our governments still somehow let these drugs seep into our country, why not just blow all our money on high tech equipment to keep drugs out of our country? You can get brain damage from walking down the street and getting hit by a car, or having an accident at work, people like that who wrote the article need a reality check.

If they dont want their kids or themselves to watch MMA then simply dont watch it, but dont try to ban it and ruin it for the rest of us just because YOU dont like it... I really hate shows like Young & The Restless, but you dont see me boycotting it....

Post #16   9/6/07 4:00:46PM   

jocksmall

In Full Mount

Career:213-134
Chips:

Posted by warglory

I wish they would quit calling it ultimate fighting. It seems whenever I read about mma in the news, and when they start referring to it as ultimate fighting, I immediately know it is going to be uneducated.

i agree it bugs me also when they call mma ultimate fighting.

Post #17   9/6/07 7:33:54PM   

Irish209

MMA Regular

Irish209 Avatar

Career:34-42
Chips:

Posted by hunterlcs92

thats bullshit. mma is pure sport. no one has ever been seriously injured in MMA

well actually there has been TONS of serious injuries in MMA and a couple actual deaths in the earlier days! but what sport doesnt...i mean u can die surfing alot quickier then u can in a cage!

Post #18   9/6/07 8:51:29PM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Career:188-114
Chips:

Posted by Kastro
boxing is all straigh punches, most to the head, in a fight a boxer can take over 100 punches to the head

100? Joe Calzaghe often lands over 1000 punches in his fights, if he attacked the body and the head equally, thats 500 punches to the head, and he probably attacks the head more than the body, probably about a 7/4 ratio. His opponents take something like 670 shots to the head in a fight. Thats rough!

Post #19   9/7/07 1:42:03PM   

Bountytaker

MMA Regular

Career:116-77
Camp: House of Granite
Chips:
Short list of sports that can cause significant brain injuries:

Amateur and professional boxing
MMA
"fake" wrestling
American Football, pro and college
European football (soccer)
Rugby
Hockey
and whatever sport this smiley is doing

All of them, except the smiley, have had reports/incidents linking them to significant brain damage. Yet, I seriously doubt that all of them are going to get "banned". Besides their popularity, think of the economic impact they have, internationally. Not that money or fame are more important than health...but, in realistic terms, is the World Cup going to be stopped because header's can cause brain damage?

Still, it's important to note the potential dangers of any sport, and I do believe that the governing bodies of any all sports are responsible for monitoring, protecting, and caring for their athletes. So, take heed Dana, Rodger, and Mr. McMahon....don't sit idly by while your employees risk their future health for your economic gain.

Post #20   9/7/07 4:27:42PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by Bountytaker

Short list of sports that can cause significant brain injuries:

Amateur and professional boxing
MMA
"fake" wrestling
American Football, pro and college
European football (soccer)
Rugby
Hockey
and whatever sport this smiley is doing

All of them, except the smiley, have had reports/incidents linking them to significant brain damage. Yet, I seriously doubt that all of them are going to get "banned". Besides their popularity, think of the economic impact they have, internationally. Not that money or fame are more important than health...but, in realistic terms, is the World Cup going to be stopped because header's can cause brain damage?

Still, it's important to note the potential dangers of any sport, and I do believe that the governing bodies of any all sports are responsible for monitoring, protecting, and caring for their athletes. So, take heed Dana, Rodger, and Mr. McMahon....don't sit idly by while your employees risk their future health for your economic gain.

Big props... excellent post. I think that's the most important issue here and it's why I strongly disagree with the wages UFC fighters are earning. The upper echelon fighters who make good money are not what I'm talking about. It's the lower echelon guys who are risking the same things that can't even afford decent health care.

and LOL @ the smiley. I think it's obvious his brain damage occured before his sport began. He just seems to be stuck in a never-ending loop

Post #21   9/7/07 4:32:30PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2