Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

MMA in danger?

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

hunterlcs92

Learning to Sprawl

hunterlcs92 Avatar

Career:118-96
Camp: We're #1
Chips:
This is some recent news from the British Medical Association:

The British Medical Association has called for a ban on mixed martial arts competitions, including “ultimate fighting,” on the grounds they can cause traumatic brain injury.

In a report released on Wednesday, the BMA extended its long-standing call for a ban on both amateur and professional boxing to all mixed martial arts (MMA) events — which include ultimate fighting and cage fighting.

“Ultimate fighting can be extremely brutal and has been described as human cockfighting,” she said. “It can cause traumatic brain injury, joint injuries and fractures.”

It was the responsibility of a civilized society to actively campaign against ultimate fighting, she added.

“Large amounts of money can be earned by participants, promoters and others linked to ultimate fighting but no amount of money can compensate for permanent brain damage and premature death.”

However, the official Ultimate Fighting Championships Web site is keen to stress the importance of competitor safety.

“UFC competitors or ultimate fighters are among the best-trained and conditioned athletes in the world,” it states.

“While this is a highly intense sport, fighter safety is of paramount concern to UFC ownership and management: it is noteworthy that no competitor has ever been seriously injured in a UFC event.”

thats bullshit. mma is pure sport. no one has ever been seriously injured in MMA

Post #1   9/5/07 9:40:45PM   

tepid55

MMA Sensei

tepid55 Avatar

Career:2,775-1,531
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
They're misinformed.

Post #2   9/5/07 9:49:16PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
I wish they would quit calling it ultimate fighting. It seems whenever I read about mma in the news, and when they start referring to it as ultimate fighting, I immediately know it is going to be uneducated.

Post #3   9/5/07 10:00:25PM   

Pitbull09

MMA Sensei

Pitbull09 Avatar

Career:288-147
Chips:

Posted by warglory

I wish they would quit calling it ultimate fighting. It seems whenever I read about mma in the news, and when they start referring to it as ultimate fighting, I immediately know it is going to be uneducated.

Pretty much exactly that. I dont understand how uneducated people are allowed to determine the fate of a sport they know S**t about.

Post #4   9/5/07 10:11:00PM   

hook_tothe_body

Standup Guy

hook_tothe_body Avatar

Career:415-290
Camp: 368
Chips:
Yeah I don't really think they know too much about the sport.

I know that MMA is a lot safer than boxing because when someone is knocked down in MMA they can get jumped on and get finished off and the ref would stop the fight. Where in boxing you get a standing count, then adrenaline takes over and you feel like you're okay, then you might take another like 100 punches to the head.

But it's not good taking shot after shot to the head. If someone sucked at MMA, and had like 40 MMA fights where they took a crap load of punches via ground and pound (because fights seem to go on longer when someone is GnP'ing versus a stand up fight) they could suffer brain damage, sure.

But yeah, don't think the guys who wrote this know shit about MMA. 'Cause boxing is a million times worse.

Post #5   9/5/07 10:38:27PM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
its not in danger people talk down about things they dont no IMO

Post #6   9/5/07 11:00:59PM   

hook_tothe_body

Standup Guy

hook_tothe_body Avatar

Career:415-290
Camp: 368
Chips:

Posted by loonytnt

its not in danger people talk down about things they dont no IMO

Bingo! You're exactly right.

Post #7   9/5/07 11:04:43PM   

Ydoc

Belt Contender

Ydoc Avatar

Career:1,371-849
Camp: Camp David
Chips:
Like others have said, really getting sick of them calling things that are MMA ultimate fighting.

Posted by hunterlcs92
In a report released on Wednesday, the BMA extended its long-standing call for a ban on both amateur and professional boxing to all mixed martial arts (MMA) events — which include ultimate fighting and cage fighting.

That's such a stupid statement. Its like if they said they were banning all soft drinks, including Coke and Pepsi. Duh, we know those are included because they're within the genre of soft drinks, like UFC and all promotions that use cages are MMA.

I'm not worried though, MMA right now is a lot like the Internet, some people are gonna get it and others are going to stay clear of it in fear of change.

Post #8   9/5/07 11:06:24PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
Like I posted in the news thread about the same topic these people have been trying to ban boxing for well over 20 years, MMA is in absolutely no danger. Even if this group managed to ban MMA the law would only apply in that one country and MMA would continue to live on everywhere else. They won't even achieve that much though.

Post #9   9/6/07 12:56:30AM   

kaduey

In Full Mount

kaduey Avatar

Career:1,537-829
Chips:
My chiropractor tells me the same bullshit. F*** em all.

Post #10   9/6/07 9:02:20AM   

LR

In Full Mount

LR Avatar

Career:638-326
Chips:
Wasteful post considering the stance in the U.S. was the same idea a decade ago, and now look.

Post #11   9/6/07 9:32:22AM   

jgtribbett

MMA Sensei

jgtribbett Avatar

Career:553-358
Camp: Team BloodLoss
Chips:

Posted by hunterlcs92

This is some recent news from the British Medical Association:

The British Medical Association has called for a ban on mixed martial arts competitions, including “ultimate fighting,” on the grounds they can cause traumatic brain injury.

“Ultimate fighting can be extremely brutal and has been described as human cockfighting,” she said. “It can cause traumatic brain injury, joint injuries and fractures.”

It was the responsibility of a civilized society to actively campaign against ultimate fighting, she added.

“Large amounts of money can be earned by participants, promoters and others linked to ultimate fighting but no amount of money can compensate for permanent brain damage and premature death.”

However, the official Ultimate Fighting Championships Web site is keen to stress the importance of competitor safety.

“UFC competitors or ultimate fighters are among the best-trained and conditioned athletes in the world,” it states.

“While this is a highly intense sport, fighter safety is of paramount concern to UFC ownership and management: it is noteworthy that no competitor has ever been seriously injured in a UFC event.”

thats bullshit. mma is pure sport. no one has ever been seriously injured in MMA

ya know, ive been hit by a few ied's, ran throught a few fire fights. i have risked all tyhose things for the us.. a lot of my friends have gotten out with TBI (traumatic brain injury) and ya know what... if i can do it there.. i can do in the cage.. so **** that lady

oh and there has only been one death. it was over sees and it wwas becuase the guy had a backwards heart or soemthing and didnt enform the organization

Last edited 9/6/07 10:12AM server time by metal_mecca43
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #12   9/6/07 10:11:30AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:
Ironically, the World Cup of Rugby begins in about 28 hours. England takes on the United States in Lens on Saturday.

Post #13   9/6/07 10:23:04AM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Career:188-114
Chips:
The BMA can't do jack, they have raved about how bad boxing is for years, and they couldn't stop that.

The only way to stop it is to what Scandanavia did; ban it before it even takes off. MMA is pretty banned right across Scandanavia, I'm pretty sure boxing is outlawed in most places there too.

MMA has already taken hold in England, the BMA can't stop it now. Thank god.

Post #14   9/6/07 10:29:37AM   

BloodandTears

Standup Guy

BloodandTears Avatar

Career:322-195
Camp: duXup
Chips:
They should ban life, on the grounds that it causes death!

Post #15   9/6/07 10:39:07AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2