Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

RUN

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

skinnyb

Banned

Career:10-9
Chips:
if u are just starting out into the mma world i suggest that u jog 20 minutes on a treadmill everyday and tack on 2 minutes a week trust me by ur first fight ull be in the best shape of ur life stamina wise

Post #1   9/1/07 12:13:27AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
I suggest you don't post in the training forum again. 20 minutes a day for cardio? Thats a joke if you're doing 3 five minute rounds. Hell, thats a joke if you're doing 1 five minute round.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #2   9/1/07 2:16:00AM   

skinnyb

Banned

Career:10-9
Chips:
not for all day thats just while ur on a treadmill man u have to do other stuff like weight training running up and down stairs leg squats stuff of that sort for all day training

Post #3   9/1/07 2:27:06AM   

fedorwins1

MMA Sensei

Career:552-270
Chips:
SPRINTS SPRINTS SPRINTS!!

Forget long jogs

Post #4   9/1/07 12:49:53PM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Career:188-114
Chips:
But long jogs are great for cutting excess fat, so I wouldn't "forget" them altogether. Sprints are good though, anaerobic fitness is essential in MMA, or any martial art for that matter.

Post #5   9/1/07 3:03:20PM   

fedorwins1

MMA Sensei

Chips:

Posted by Mastodon2

But long jogs are great for cutting excess fat, so I wouldn't "forget" them altogether. Sprints are good though, anaerobic fitness is essential in MMA, or any martial art for that matter.

Yeah very true, I was saying if you're in shape and don't need to lose alot of weight and you want to increase cardio for fighting sprinting is the way to go.

Post #6   9/1/07 3:26:44PM   

Mithra

Learning to Sprawl

Mithra Avatar

Career:892-456
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:

Posted by Mastodon2

Sprints are better for cutting fat...

If you want to get in shape for MMA, do cardio according to round lengths.

So get a timer and work as hard as you can for 5 minutes(sprinting, jump roping, burpees etc...).

Take a minute break and then do 5 more minutes.

Do that for 3 rounds and then move up to 5 rounds.

Post #7   9/1/07 6:18:38PM   

Omega

Go TEAM!!! or I will kill you.

Omega Avatar

Career:482-300
Camp: Team Bullshido
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

I suggest you don't post in the training forum again. 20 minutes a day for cardio? Thats a joke if you're doing 3 five minute rounds. Hell, thats a joke if you're doing 1 five minute round.

You got to this before I did.

Post #8   9/1/07 6:42:16PM   

Omega

Omega Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Mithra

Posted by Mastodon2

So get a timer and work as hard as you can for 5 minutes(sprinting, jump roping, burpees etc...).

No, you don't know what you're talking about. Again if you don't have experiance in these matters please don't talk like you do.

If you would like to do the round conditioning it will be constant change in pace, all you're doing by going as hard as you can for 5 minutes is forcing your body to plateu at specific levels. When you're body get's pushed beyond those levels it won't have the conditioning to deal with it.

A fight is a constant speeding up and slowing down, changing of muscle groups, rarely will you find yourself doing the same thing for 5 straight minutes. Ladder runs and various sprints to simulate a 5 minute round is what I would suggest.

Post #9   9/1/07 6:46:39PM   

fedorwins1

MMA Sensei

Chips:
Yes, and I've heard that another good cardio workout is to jog at a mild pace and then randomly sprint as hard as you can for a couple of seconds and then go back to the mild pace again. I know Chuck Liddel does this.

Post #10   9/1/07 7:04:08PM   

Omega

Omega Avatar

Chips:

Posted by fedorwins1

Yes, and I've heard that another good cardio workout is to jog at a mild pace and then randomly sprint as hard as you can for a couple of seconds and then go back to the mild pace again. I know Chuck Liddel does this.

yup....

Post #11   9/1/07 7:09:46PM   

Mithra

Learning to Sprawl

Mithra Avatar

Career:892-456
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:

Posted by Omega

Posted by Mithra

Posted by Mastodon2

No, you don't know what you're talking about. Again if you don't have experiance in these matters please don't talk like you do.

If you would like to do the round conditioning it will be constant change in pace, all you're doing by going as hard as you can for 5 minutes is forcing your body to plateu at specific levels. When you're body get's pushed beyond those levels it won't have the conditioning to deal with it.

A fight is a constant speeding up and slowing down, changing of muscle groups, rarely will you find yourself doing the same thing for 5 straight minutes. Ladder runs and various sprints to simulate a 5 minute round is what I would suggest.

Where the hell did I suggest only doing one thing for 5 straight minutes?

Post #12   9/1/07 8:54:33PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
I've been running for a long time. I am running a marathon at the end of the month and have a very competitive 5km run time.

There are different types of running cardio. Mainly, there is one for having your heart pump at about 60-70% of it's max rate for a long time. In this case you want to maintain this heart rate (it will differ with age) without letting it climb or drop. A good rule of thumb is that your heart should be beating fast, but not so fast that you cannot carry on a conversation.

There is also cardio training by running your heart rate up to 90% (for a short period) or so and then letting it slow down. This helps your recovery times. A good heart will be able to slow down (recover) really fast.

Either one would be good for MMA. Get a heart monitor too.

Long runs are good for training your muscles to feed off of fat. If you can maintain an aerobic level of exercise for a long time, your muscles will develop a higher density of mitochondria, which in turn are used to make ATP (your body's energy source). Long runs are also great for learning how to mentally cope with bodily stress. Run for 2+ hours at a pace of 5min per km and you'll know of what I speak. Long runs also help you learn to relax and only use the muscles you need to use. They are also good to help you train your breathing technique

Sprints are great for building explosiveness.

Just look at the bodies of a Olympic sprinter vs a marathon runner. The sprinter is more muscular and the marathoner is more lean. IMO, you want something in between for MMA. However, I think long runs are more important because you can build explosiveness by doing stair runs and plyometrics. Keep in mind that is my opinion.

Tip for running
Get a really good pair of shoes from a running store. Make sure they fit the length and width of your feet and also have the proper support for you level of pronation. Your toes, feet, knees and back will thank you for it.

Post #13   9/1/07 9:01:11PM   

Omega

Omega Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Mithra

Posted by Omega

Posted by Mithra

Posted by Mastodon2

Where the hell did I suggest only doing one thing for 5 straight minutes?

"So get a timer and work as hard as you can for 5 minutes(sprinting, jump roping, burpees etc...)."

You work in intervals not at full capacity for 5 minutes. Now, if this what you meant to say that's fine but it doesn't read that way.

Post #14   9/2/07 12:42:10AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I would personally suggest a mixture of distance running and sprinting type cardio exercise.

Running distance does something that is extremely important for MMA outside of cardio. It builds leg bone density like almost nothing can. Unfortunately with that you also get a lot of beat down put on your joints from distance running.

Sprinting will get your heart rate to levels beyond those which distance running can provide, and also sprinting builds completely different muscles in your legs than distance running does. Fast twitch vs. slow twitch. You've all heard it before.

There's arguments on both sides, but definitely no absolutes. Hence, middle ground

Post #15   9/2/07 3:46:35AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2