Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC has cut Babalu's contract

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Gladiator

In Full Mount

Gladiator Avatar

Career:896-523
Chips:

Posted by roman

Posted by rcg916

Posted by silverbullet

It's harsh, but it's fair.

If its fair, where is B.J. Penn's release?

EXACT same scenario.

(BTW, look at my av, Im a huge Penn fan, but I still say that if one, then the other. (and dozens more, dating back 50 shows, lol)

He is their example. Its a shame, but he shouldve been smarter than that.

Penn didn't hold the choke after the ref stopped the fight. Jens tapped and it took the ref a second to realize it. Penn released the hold as soon as the ref stepped in.

Penn didn't, like Babalu, hang on for dear life to put him out while the ref was trying to pry him off.

So it was not even close to the same scenario.

I do think it sucks that he got his contract taken away, but thats what he gets.

have u even seen the fight!?! sobral did not hold on for dear life, he let go 3 secs after the tap. jens pulver may not have passed out but he also didnt lose a pint of blood like heath did which is the biggest difference between the two. it was very close to the same scenario, sobral made eye contact with mazigatti and let go like two seconds after... why is this such a completely different situation than penn vs pulver?

Post #16   8/30/07 2:19:45PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
Babalu's got plenty of options... Cage Rage and EliteXC could use LH's... Hero's is always an option (maybe a fight with Soko)... I think he'll be fine...

IMO, releasing him was kinda harsh... But whateves... Everyone made a way bigger deal out of this than it really was... Everyone loves a controversy right?

BJ def held his choke for longer than needed... You could see the expression on his face and him tighten it before finally letting go... Jens tapped after much less punishment than Heath (and no loss of blood like mentioned earlier)... that and he had his arm trapped in BJ's hook, so I think he knew he was screwed.

Anyone who makes Babalu out to be some sort of criminal, and gives BJ a pass, is either a huge BJ fan or just doesn't want to see things for what they are for whatever reason.

Hope to see Babalu fighting somewhere outside the UFC soon, he's a beast

Post #17   8/30/07 2:32:59PM   

kaduey

In Full Mount

kaduey Avatar

Career:1,537-829
Chips:
Babalu can hold his own against anyone in the world. He deserves to be in the UFC and its an injustice to the fans for him to be fighting in any other promotion. If he seriously injured Heath, fine kickhim out, but he put him to sleep, big deal.

Post #18   8/30/07 2:47:52PM   

Leland

Standup Guy

Leland Avatar

Career:92-44
Camp: Polk Fight Club
Chips:
good fighter, bad move for dana. It was very awesome to watch babalu rip thru that guy. it almost justified the choke. it was 2 maybe 3 seconds. I think he did need a fine, and maybe a verbal "threat" from dana, but to be cut? not fair at all. babalu put on a good show, and let his emotions control the end of the fight unfortunately.

I do think Babalu needs to get back on track though. He just had felony charges for spitting on a guy, now this? Seems like he is going the wrong way with his fight career. I hope he straightens up and comes back stronger than ever!

Post #19   8/30/07 2:55:00PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
For the safety of fighters you can't guys choking them out after they tap. Babalu's clearly got some issues, the arrest now this, like beating heath that bad wasn't repayment enough he had to endanger the guys health.

Post #20   8/30/07 3:17:12PM   

lemandp

Banned

Career:18-13
Chips:

Posted by rcg916

Posted by silverbullet

It's harsh, but it's fair.

If its fair, where is B.J. Penn's release?

EXACT same scenario.

(BTW, look at my av, Im a huge Penn fan, but I still say that if one, then the other. (and dozens more, dating back 50 shows, lol)

He is their example. Its a shame, but he shouldve been smarter than that.

First of all Babalu had a pending court case, and to compare his choke and BJ's is hilarious. Did you watch both fights?? BJ held on maybe an extra second or two, but didn't squeeze harder. Pulver never went unconscious. Babalu held on for 5-7 seconds longer, and didn't release UNTIL Heath passed out. He could do serious brain damage like that, Rickson Gracie told me if you keep an opponent unconscious for 10 seconds you're killing hundreds of thousands of brain cells each second. Are you more knowledgeable in terms of BJJ then Rickson Gracie??? Babalu deserved to have his contract cut. The fans don't like him, the fighters don't like him, and unlike BJ Penn he's not an elite fighter he got knocked out by Jason Lambert.

Post #21   8/30/07 3:30:56PM   

DevMahon

MMA Regular

DevMahon Avatar

Career:779-401
Chips:
I have to say that I think that Babalu needs to be punished. Fighters continuing to hold onto submissions after the fight is over are becoming a more common problem. BJ Penn vs. Jens Pulver. Martin Kampmann vs. Drew McFedries. I could go on, but the point is, it's gotten to the point, where a fighter like Babalu doesn't even feel the need to apologize for it. "Disrespect?" Are you kidding me? It's a sport, not a fight in a back alley. When the ref gives an instruction, you follow it! The fact that this has become more and more prevalent means that the UFC absolutely has to have some kind of punishment. So, take this into consideration.

1) BJ Penn wasn't suspended then, so he can't be suspended now. Anyone who uses the defense, "But FIGHTER X got away with it!" is a moron. Just because someone else did it and got away with, doesn't mean it should keep happening, in fact. . .

2) Because other fighters got away with it is actually a reason to punish Babalu. Make it clear that this type of thing will not be tolerated anymore. If you got away with it in the past, you won't get away with it in the future.

3) 3 seconds or 30 seconds, I don't give a damn; it was a deliberate attempt to endanger an opponent after the fight had been stopped. Because Heath was "disrespectful" isn't a good reason.

Post #22   8/30/07 4:04:14PM   

crazedfan

MMA Regular

crazedfan Avatar

Career:2,672-1,479
Camp: BE Civil War
Chips:
Sobral said he intentionally held the choke on longer. No more proof or information necessary. You're just plain stupid if you think otherwise.

Post #23   8/30/07 4:28:16PM   

kevietre

Belt Contender

kevietre Avatar

Career:666-469
Chips:
If somebody wore a shirt with Dana White's mugshot on it im sure he wouldnt be too happy.

Post #24   8/30/07 6:03:46PM   

MisFiT

In Full Mount

Career:33-24
Chips:
MMA officially sucks now.

Post #25   8/30/07 6:24:55PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
^ Maybe babalu shoulden't have a mug shot, then no one could wear a shirt of his mug shot...

Post #26   8/30/07 6:25:03PM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Career:188-114
Chips:
Totally OTT from Dana White. I suppose he wanted to set an example for the other fighters in the UFC, but this is just way too harsh. Imo, he didn't hold the choke for too much longer, certainly Heath's life was not at risk. Dana said that he was planning on cutting Babalu anyway. I doubt it; Sobral might not be on top form anymore, but he looked great the other night, and he had great potential as a mid pack fighter.

Post #27   8/30/07 6:41:28PM   

lemandp

Banned

Career:18-13
Chips:

Posted by MisFiT

MMA officially sucks now.

Yeah...forget the UFC finally getting solid cards and the debut of all the PRIDE guys, without Babalu, there's no point in watching...wait a second, Lambert knocked him out lol

Post #28   8/30/07 6:56:46PM   

Josh3239

Learning to Sprawl

Josh3239 Avatar

Career:55-34
Chips:

Posted by DevMahon

1) BJ Penn wasn't suspended then, so he can't be suspended now. Anyone who uses the defense, "But FIGHTER X got away with it!" is a moron. Just because someone else did it and got away with, doesn't mean it should keep happening, in fact. . .

2) Because other fighters got away with it is actually a reason to punish Babalu. Make it clear that this type of thing will not be tolerated anymore. If you got away with it in the past, you won't get away with it in the future.

3) 3 seconds or 30 seconds, I don't give a damn; it was a deliberate attempt to endanger an opponent after the fight had been stopped. Because Heath was "disrespectful" isn't a good reason.

Exactly what I was going to say. There is more to this than whether or not Babalu was punished to harshly. Other members have mentioned Kampman, Royce Gracie, and BJ Penn holding on to submissions longer than they should and they weren't punished. That is a problem, we cannot change the past but we can control to an extent the future. Releasing a fighter for holding on to long is a warning to BJ Penn, Kampman and every fighter who has or hasn't submitted opponents. The UFC realizes that this needs to be stopped and this is how they are doing it.

As far as the people who say this isn't fair, I say that there are rules and standards that those fighters are held to. What has happend in the past is dead, but now the standards and rules should apply 100% to every single fighter. They know the rules and if they break them they should be punished. Period end of story.

Post #29   8/30/07 7:00:15PM   

Naturaldisaster

MMA Sensei

Naturaldisaster Avatar

Career:703-452
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
Kampman held his choke on McFedries for about 4 seconds after the ref stopped it. The ref had to rip Kampman off of him and I never heard about Kampman gettin supspended or fined. they were actually rewarding him with a fight again franklin at 72.

Post #30   8/30/07 7:28:33PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3