Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC has cut Babalu's contract

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Metafour

MMA Regular

Metafour Avatar

Career:798-433
Chips:
http://ufcjunkie.com/2007/08/30/ufc-75-media-conference-call-live-updates/
According to the UFC 75 conference call, Dana White has confirmed that Babalu's contract with the UFC has been cut.

Post #1   8/30/07 1:29:57PM   

kevietre

Belt Contender

kevietre Avatar

Career:666-469
Chips:
That's too harsh this is fighting and emotions are suppose to be a part of the game. They fight because they are warriors not to see whose polite and nice.
BRING BABALU BACK!

Post #2   8/30/07 1:34:49PM   

GrandMaster313

In Full Mount

GrandMaster313 Avatar

Career:1,018-656
Chips:
what the hell happened??? I missed the Babalu fight

Post #3   8/30/07 1:35:16PM   

babalu2720

In Full Mount

babalu2720 Avatar

Career:1,245-647
Chips:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....I'm going to cry myself to sleep........deep breaths but dana did say he's not ruling out that he would bring babalu back, this is stupid, this is way to hrash take some money maybe suspend him the rst of the year, but release him...jesus christ

Post #4   8/30/07 1:37:51PM   

Metafour

MMA Regular

Metafour Avatar

Career:798-433
Chips:

Posted by GrandMaster313

what the hell happened??? I missed the Babalu fight

He held onto a choke for 3 seconds after a tap out and his opponent went to sleep.

Post #5   8/30/07 1:38:34PM   

silverbullet

Shrimpin' ain't easy

Career:144-82
Chips:
It's harsh, but it's fair.

Post #6   8/30/07 1:40:47PM   

rcg916

He's Back...

rcg916 Avatar

Career:523-269
Chips:

Posted by silverbullet

If its fair, where is B.J. Penn's release?

EXACT same scenario.

(BTW, look at my av, Im a huge Penn fan, but I still say that if one, then the other. (and dozens more, dating back 50 shows, lol)

He is their example. Its a shame, but he shouldve been smarter than that.

Post #7   8/30/07 1:52:58PM   

MMAnomale

MMA Regular

MMAnomale Avatar

Career:155-77
Chips:
You have to be able to trust in the fact that, if you aren't able to intelligibly protect yourself, that the referee will, and in this case, the ref was ignored. I agree w/ the decision, however, hopefully, he'll be able to apply for reinstatement after 6months to a year. He is a veteran fighter and should've known better. I love Babalu and watching his fights, but he shouldn't have held on for so long. Penn did it, although probably not as long, and nothing was said about it. Royce Gracie did it all the time, but that was back in the day when the rules were definately more lax than today.

Post #8   8/30/07 1:55:07PM   

rcg916

He's Back...

rcg916 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by MMAnomale

You have to be able to trust in the fact that, if you aren't able to intelligibly protect yourself, that the referee will, and in this case, the ref was ignored. I agree w/ the decision, however, hopefully, he'll be able to apply for reinstatement after 6months to a year. He is a veteran fighter and should've known better. I love Babalu and watching his fights, but he shouldn't have held on for so long. Penn did it, although probably not as long, and nothing was said about it. Royce Gracie did it all the time, but that was back in the day when the rules were definately more lax than today.

It happens almost every show or 2, too harsh of a penalty if you ask me

Last edited 8/30/07 1:58PM server time by rcg916
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   8/30/07 1:56:44PM   

MMAnomale

MMA Regular

MMAnomale Avatar

Career:155-77
Chips:
They had to set a standard, and make an example out of somebody. Just like with other sports, they'll make an example of somebody, such as Pacman Jones or Chris Henry in the NFL, and that way, if someone does it again, they can't say they didn't know. Just like failing a steroids urinalysis in baseball, like Rafeal Palmeiro. The UFC is letting everyone know that they will not tolerate this. If they didn't do it, there would be many organizations and other ppl complaining that something should've been done. The UFC, with all the strict rules and guidelines in America's athletic commissions, is covering their ass.

Post #10   8/30/07 1:58:32PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by rcg916

Posted by silverbullet

EXACT same scenario.

(BTW, look at my av, Im a huge Penn fan, but I still say that if one, then the other. (and dozens more, dating back 50 shows, lol)

But Bj didn't put jens to sleep, and he didn't look directly at steve and say nope. You have to protect your fighters, if you can't trust a guy to let go when the refs telling him to do so how you you know he'll let go of an armbar? a triangle? ect. Bablu's not good enough to be choking guys out and acting like he was.

Post #11   8/30/07 2:05:46PM   

roman

Standup Guy

roman Avatar

Career:679-391
Chips:

Posted by rcg916

Posted by silverbullet

EXACT same scenario.

Penn didn't hold the choke after the ref stopped the fight. Jens tapped and it took the ref a second to realize it. Penn released the hold as soon as the ref stepped in.

Penn didn't, like Babalu, hang on for dear life to put him out while the ref was trying to pry him off.

So it was not even close to the same scenario.

I do think it sucks that he got his contract taken away, but thats what he gets.

Post #12   8/30/07 2:07:39PM   

szucconi

In Full Mount

szucconi Avatar

Career:440-296
Chips:

Posted by rcg916

Posted by silverbullet

EXACT same scenario.

It wasn't the same thing. BJ didn't choke out Jens. Jens didn't go to sleep. BJ didn't say he did it on purpose. BJs back was to the ref.

Babalu was looking the ref in the face and ignored what he was saying. He disrespected Heath, the ref, and the sport. I am fine with him making Heath look like a punk because he is one. I have a major problem with ignoring the ref. As soon and a fighter taps and the ref says to let go, a choke hold is assault.

Post #13   8/30/07 2:08:37PM   

LR

In Full Mount

LR Avatar

Career:638-326
Chips:
White said he already planned to cut Babalu before the incident. I'm guessing his contract was close to being up anyways.

I don't think it's fair at all. A $25k withhold of his win bonus, which will turn into a fine, is perfect. He held it too long. But we are talking about fighters. Fighters have the opportunity to do that. We aren't cutting basketball players from contracts when they punch people out in the game. It's just stupid.

BJ held his choke, the only difference is Jens had a bit more air left and didn't pass out. Come on!

Post #14   8/30/07 2:15:41PM   

rcg916

He's Back...

rcg916 Avatar

Chips:
Come on, it may not have been exact, but we have seen that scenario plenty of times. Ive already said its bad for the sport, but he is clearly being used as an example, thats all Im saying.

Post #15   8/30/07 2:16:00PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3