Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

How To Handle Lesnar's UFC Introduction

Print  
Posted By Message

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
With the signing of Brock Lesnar imminent, UFC President Dana White faces an interesting dilemma. Should he fast-track an inexperienced — albeit well-known — heavyweight competitor from his days in World Wrestling Entertainment toward a marquee UFC debut?

LINK

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #1   8/29/07 4:02:44PM   

Lay_N_Pray

In Full Mount

Lay_N_Pray Avatar

Career:253-130
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
That is a tremendous idea on how to handle Lesnars situation...however, the one downfall about that suggestion would be some, and i would think most, of the contestants will want to side with the other coaches team since they will be more well rounded and experienced.

Post #2   8/29/07 4:22:53PM   

Chris_Keppel

Banned

Career:51-37
Chips:
Lesnar looked sub-par in his MMA debut. The guy needs to train A LOT more, and fight A LOT more less talented people equal to him in skill and ability. Or he'll get beat up. He'll more than likely lose to anybody in the UFC at heavyweight, and probably a couple light heavyweights too lol

Post #3   8/29/07 4:41:22PM   

StorminYourman

Belt Contender

StorminYourman Avatar

Career:1,106-639
Chips:
A guy who is 1-0 in MMA and the win is over a lemon should not be coaching. That is the dumbest shiznit I heard today.Get a few fights with good competitors under your belt before you start coaching MMA. He could coach wrestling somewhere though.

Post #4   8/29/07 5:19:27PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I'd love to see him fight Frank Mir, but definitely wouldn't love to see him coach on TUF. Hell, I'm disappointed enough with Matt Serra being a coach.. and he has octagon experience!

Here's an idea- start him from the bottom! He'll probably beat low level competition just because of his size/strength/wrestling background. So you keep him there and move him up the ranks just like any other self respecting MMA fighter has to do.

Last edited 8/29/07 5:46PM server time by Jackelope
Edit note/reason: misspelling

Post #5   8/29/07 5:46:08PM   

lemandp

Banned

Career:18-13
Chips:

Posted by Chris_Keppel

Lesnar looked sub-par in his MMA debut. The guy needs to train A LOT more, and fight A LOT more less talented people equal to him in skill and ability. Or he'll get beat up. He'll more than likely lose to anybody in the UFC at heavyweight, and probably a couple light heavyweights too lol

Sub par?? He secured a TD within 10 seconds, passed a silver medalist in judo's guard, and pounded him out in a minute. What was he supposed to do?? F-5 him through the announcers table on top of Goldberg?? As far as skill and ability, his wrestling pedigree speaks for itself. He has a bonafide mean streak and an incredible threshold for pain, I'm pretty sure he can take a beating and keep going. Not only that, but despite not playing football AT ALL in college, he made the Vikings practise squad and NFL Europa, unfortunately due to his age, he didn't have years to invest into football, which is why he got into mma. Mike Tomlin, former Vikings DC and current Steelers head coach, said "Brock is by far the most amazing athlete I've ever seen. He squatted 900 lbs and ran the 40 yard dash in 4.6 seconds. He hadn't played football for basically a decade, yet managed to distance himself enough to make our practice squad. If he sticks with football I honestly believe he's a future all pro, whatever he does, he will excel at, I've never seen a freak of nature like that guy. And he is MEAN."

Pretty high praise...Brock Lesnar is going to make A LOT of noise if he trains properly and takes mma serious, and anybody who knows this guys story knows his work ethic and what he's capable of. Remember where you heard it first.

Post #6   8/29/07 10:42:32PM   

MondayNiteMauser

Standup Guy

MondayNiteMauser Avatar

Career:888-565
Camp: M Town Hard Hitters
Chips:
Lets face it no matter hard core of an MMA fan we think we all are you have to realize that lesnar is almost unstoppable. If he can make the UFC 265 lbs. limit he will in my mind run through anyone put in front of him. I know he's only had one fight but with the physical tools he has and the training he gets from the best in the world i find him almost impossible to stop even for the greats like Fedor, Couture, Nog or whoever else you think has a chance.

Lesnar is the future of MMA and he will reign supreme.

Post #7   8/30/07 8:22:03AM   

Cladrix

Standup Guy

Cladrix Avatar

Career:538-332
Chips:
Lesnar to me is a joke....... He should get more training more fights under his belt also. If the UFC does sign him( which looks like it might happen) than they should put him in with new Heavyweights. I think Brad Imes would be good. Brad Imes will give him a good match.

Post #8   8/30/07 1:49:48PM   

Bowen50

The Talent

Bowen50 Avatar

Career:1,098-650
Chips:
i say feed Lesnar to a top heavyweight. Let him get his ass kicked to show him he isn't ready for top level competition. I think even someone like Eddie Sanchez could whoop his ass all over the octagon.

Post #9   8/30/07 2:48:34PM   

Bowen50

The Talent

Bowen50 Avatar

Career:1,098-650
Chips:

Posted by MondayNiteMauser

Lets face it no matter hard core of an MMA fan we think we all are you have to realize that lesnar is almost unstoppable. If he can make the UFC 265 lbs. limit he will in my mind run through anyone put in front of him. I know he's only had one fight but with the physical tools he has and the training he gets from the best in the world i find him almost impossible to stop even for the greats like Fedor, Couture, Nog or whoever else you think has a chance.

Lesnar is the future of MMA and he will reign supreme.

have you ever seen Nogueria fight Bob Sapp? or Fedor fight Kevin Randleman? or Couture fight Sylvia and Gonzaga?

Lesnar doesn't stand a chance against any of them.

Post #10   8/30/07 2:52:52PM   

DevMahon

MMA Regular

DevMahon Avatar

Career:779-401
Chips:
It's too early to tell about Lesnar. I mean, he did exactly what he should have done against a sub-par opponent (destroyed him), but what exactly does that tell us? He should fight two or three more opponents of increasing difficulty, and, if he keeps winning, make his debut with about three or four fights under his belt. Other fighters, especially heavyweights, have come into the UFC with that level of experience.

Of course, this is all predicated on Lesnar winning more fights instead of just shooting off his mouth, and who knows if that's ever going to happen.

Post #11   8/30/07 4:13:27PM   

MondayNiteMauser

Standup Guy

MondayNiteMauser Avatar

Career:888-565
Camp: M Town Hard Hitters
Chips:
People talk about how good KOS's wrestling but i'd have to say Lesnar's is better. I truly believe he would pound out Nog very easily in fact. I mean nog was in big trouble against Herring who was brought in just to get his ass kicked by the signed heavyweights. Bob Sapp on the other hand doesn't have an athletic bone in his body. Lesnar would punish him very very badly. Within the next 2-3 years you will see how unstoppable lesnar is and will be for awhile.

Post #12   8/30/07 10:08:45PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
He can be as physically gifted as he wants to be, but your mental state is by and far the most important part of a fight.

Yes, hes got a great wrestling record.
Yes, he destroyed his opponent in his first MMA match
Yes, hes enormously strong and agile for a large man.

Can he keep his cool when getting hit? Can he create gameplans on his feet or listen to his corner? Can he fight a losing fight for several rounds and turn it around at the end? These are hallmarks of great fighters, and until Brock fights someone at least in the top 50 of his weight class, we haven't a clue as to what he brings to the table, other than size and wrestling skills.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #13   8/30/07 10:21:09PM