Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Seven Things we learned from UFC 74: Respect

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

crushedbacon

In Full Mount

crushedbacon Avatar

Career:868-562
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:
bang on man......the two best welterweights in the ufc went at it on Saturday night.....hughes vs serra, really who cares, whoever wins is gonna get destroyed by GSP.....hopefully hughes gets KOed but I'm thinkin serra is so brutal that hughes will get a decision or a ground and pound stoppage. Thats cool though then we can watch his country bumpkin ass get spanked by GSP, and all the blind hughes fans can get introduced to reality.......boo yeah!

Post #16   8/27/07 6:49:43PM   

mizike

Learning to Sprawl

mizike Avatar

Career:546-344
Chips:
I agreed with most, huerta is unproven but has looked pretty strong, needs to be tested. And all of yall talking about Kendall not being a star have u been watching him from day one. HE has improved by leaps and bounds, undefeated in the octagon up til this point, with a sick camp at team punishment, great size, dedication and lost to a hands of steal cote who was do for a win, and cote is no slouch, Kendall looked stronger the entire fight with better clinch, knees ect until that nice overhand right that caught kendall perfectly behind the ear, and kendall still recovered fast and fought back the best he could shook, it happens, he will be back and stronger u watch. N rannnnndy is the man

Post #17   8/27/07 6:52:45PM   

Ultimate_fighter

Banned

Career:270-165
Chips:

Posted by LR

One thing we learned from UFC 74: ESPN has crappy writers.

Post #18   8/27/07 6:57:40PM   

thestaton

Learning to Sprawl

thestaton Avatar

Career:263-155
Camp: MMA Weekly
Chips:
I'm glad someone else agreed that Huerta is way over-rated. He's got a good career as an abercrombie model, but he's going to get punished by Sherk, BJ, Nick Diaz and on and on.

And I have to say I predicted Cote would kill Kendall so I'm not sure what he's seeing there.

Post #19   8/27/07 8:03:34PM   

Chris_Keppel

Banned

Career:51-37
Chips:
Koscheck would get slammed by Matt Hughes. Matt Hughes is probably the second best, if not best grappler in the UFC altogether.

Post #20   8/27/07 8:15:38PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
How can people say Huerta is overrated? He has dominated in every one of his matches. Were these opponents cans? Perhaps, but he looked brilliant in them. How many other fighters in the UFC have used the big screen to fight their opponent? He is a very intellectual fighter. Now, I am not saying he is a fighting prophet or something, but the dude has shown he can and should be elevated to the next level of competition no problem.

Post #21   8/27/07 8:51:38PM   

GrandMaster313

In Full Mount

GrandMaster313 Avatar

Career:1,005-655
Chips:
He should have mentioned what he said about huerta when he was talking about kendall grove. I honestley think he has the ability to become a great fighter but it is going to be a journey and a bumpy one at that. As for Randy...... I don't think Gonzaga brought the best out of Randy but he sure looked good pound'n the shit out of him! Give the man credit though for beating someone half his age and twice his size!(not really only by 13.5 pounds i think)
Let's move on to Koz Vs. St.Pierre. I wasn't really impressed by either of them. St.Pierre shook off the loss and as long as he's healthy and fights like he has something to fight for he might be back in the picture and pull a win against Hughes after he beats Serra ( I think we all know who I picked! ). By the way speaking of Huerta I think Dana needs to give this guy some COMPETITION!
I like his style of fighting but until I see him put some NAMES under his belt I will never see him as a chance to become something in the UFC. Hey Joe! You loooked pretty damn smooth out there keep it up! Lastly i'd like to conclude that why wasn't Babalu mentioned?

Post #22   8/27/07 10:19:57PM   

PaleHorse

Standup Guy

PaleHorse Avatar

Career:334-241
Camp: Society of Woden
Chips:
One thing I really think the UFC does, is show way too much attention for the taller fighters, which is why "Da Spyda" is so well advertised. You can do some amazing things with a height advantage, but if you're anything below heavyweight you better choose where you put your muscle wisely. We can see that people favor the taller people in the UFC with Corey Hill's win over Robert Emerson in the Ultimate Fighter 5, it wasn't controversial, even Dana White said he would have picked Emerson to win, but they wanted to give Hill a bit of a bigger push into the spotlight because he is 6'4 and will draw attention as well as a fanbase, just like Tim Sylvia did, just like Kendall Grove is, just like Gan McGee did. I'm not knocking any of these fighters, but a lot of people think that height can make up for talent, which it does to an extent, but it will never carry you all the way to the belt, Tim Sylvia had the talent but got too comfortable, Gan McGee had talent but not a ton, although I'm not going to say Sylvia deserved that steroid affected win, and Kendall Grove needs work.

P.S. - Does anyone want to see "Da Spyda" versus "The Spider"? I think Grove has a worse nickname than Phil Baroni and Joe Lauzon combined, especially for a UFC middleweight fighter who might one day face Anderson Silva. Not to mention where would they hold that fight to give Grove the edge? Compton?

Post #23   8/27/07 11:26:31PM   

d_block07

MMA Regular

d_block07 Avatar

Career:150-70
Camp: Team Punishment 2007
Chips:

Posted by PaleHorse
We can see that people favor the taller people in the UFC with Corey Hill's win over Robert Emerson in the Ultimate Fighter 5, it wasn't controversial, even Dana White said he would have picked Emerson to win, but they wanted to give Hill a bit of a bigger push into the spotlight because he is 6'4 and will draw attention as well as a fanbase,

i dont think the judges scoring the fight were worried about building corey hills fanbase as they were scoring the fight, if anyone would do that it would be dana

Last edited 8/28/07 1:34AM server time by d_block07
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #24   8/28/07 1:33:03AM   

PaleHorse

Standup Guy

PaleHorse Avatar

Chips:
That was kind of what I was trying to say. My bad for not being clear on that. That wouldn't be a terrible way to appear to be the good guy. Say who you think should win and then after you fix the contest, tell the camera what the guy did wrong. Anyways, the point is that they have too much hype for tall people over talented people.

Post #25   8/28/07 2:29:23AM   

LR

In Full Mount

LR Avatar

Career:638-326
Chips:
To be perfectly honest, I don't like the advent of mainstream media and the UFC is going to see the fallout of it. You are going to see more fans booing at the ground fights, and more fans being generally hateful at that type of game. ESPN is great for exposure, but it's also great for showing the UFC in the wrong light. If we have a Sobral incident on a UFC card that possibly could be shown on ESPN in the future, the freaking media circus afterwards would be insane.

Post #26   8/28/07 10:39:25AM   

silverbullet

Shrimpin' ain't easy

Career:144-82
Chips:

Posted by Chris_Keppel

Koscheck would get slammed by Matt Hughes. Matt Hughes is probably the second best, if not best grappler in the UFC altogether.

What is Koscheck, like four times all american? He is a much better wrestler than Matt Hughes, so that fight will never see the ground. If it does go to the ground, I am not sure that Hughes can sub Koscheck knowing how strong Koscheck is. GSP was pulling on his single arm for a good 2 minutes, and couldn't pull it out.

I say Koscheck vs Hughes goes the same way as Koscheck vs Sanchez, but since Hughes has no stand-up to speak of , he will get KTFOed.

If you think Hughes has any chance to win that fight, please explain.

Post #27   8/28/07 12:26:16PM   

PaleHorse

Standup Guy

PaleHorse Avatar

Chips:
All I hope is that if they were to fight, one would try to submit the other. The last thing we need is another Tito vs. Rashad or Sean Sherk in general. Two wrestlers facing off usually make a bad fight.

Post #28   8/28/07 12:53:05PM   

alvin

Learning to Sprawl

alvin Avatar

Career:14-13
Camp: Big Gay Al's Big Gay Training Camp
Chips:
Huges was a two time all american as well. Kos was a four time all american and placed better than Matt's 5'th and 8'th every time. He's also 5-6 years younger. I'd say Kos as a wrestler, but Matt for experience. We'll see soon enough.

Post #29   8/28/07 1:15:58PM   

alvin

Learning to Sprawl

alvin Avatar

Career:14-13
Camp: Big Gay Al's Big Gay Training Camp
Chips:
Forgot this, I also don't understand why people say Randy is a small heavyweight. Randy would still be a ripped 250 if he didn't run like 40 miles a week. I'll go as far to say that he'd still be a semi-ripped 260. The guy most likely has less than 5% BF. Granted all that being corrrect, he'd be at 20% at 260, so maybe not semi ripped, but I'd say Silvia is over 20% at 265 and he's considered huge.

Post #30   8/28/07 1:22:01PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3