Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Renato "Babalu" Sobral's Punishment

Print  
Posted By Message

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
Babalu was fined 25,000 for holding on the choke for too long.

read the article here

Post #1   8/27/07 1:29:41PM   

kevietre

Belt Contender

kevietre Avatar

Career:666-469
Chips:
Half of his purse seems a little extreme but Babalu didnt seem to care he knew what he was doing. It's not like he's ever going to do it again anybody know what Heath said in the post fight interview?

Post #2   8/27/07 1:41:23PM   

waylon_o

In Full Mount

waylon_o Avatar

Career:162-90
Camp: Wicked Wizards
Chips:
I would imagine he didn't have a whole lot to say about it haha. He was talking shit and got choked out for his efforts. End of story.

Post #3   8/27/07 2:37:51PM   

Linye

MMA Regular

Career:240-141
Camp: Beat Down System
Chips:
yes!

I thought he would get a suspension.

Post #4   8/27/07 3:54:31PM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
only 25k? it needs to be more, a lot of people are saying''thats what he gets for talking sh!t'' ummm no, if you think that you most not know anything about this sport. this is where the bad name of MMA come from and be people saying he gets what he gets is not making MMA look any better. he beat the sh!T out of him thats all he needed to do. Kos talked a lot of trash about GSP to, GSP showed how you do it right not what babalu did

Post #5   8/27/07 4:33:00PM   

hotrodttt

Ridin the MMA WW since 02 !

hotrodttt Avatar

Career:2,639-1,411
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Good, fighters like that are the reason why MMA gets the name it has

Post #6   8/27/07 4:47:42PM   

silverbullet

Shrimpin' ain't easy

Career:144-82
Chips:
I think withholding half the pay is pretty fair

Post #7   8/27/07 5:57:59PM   

Mattchupichu

Learning to Sprawl

Mattchupichu Avatar

Career:912-523
Camp: UFCmaniacs
Chips:
Honestly, I just saw the fight and don't see why it's such a huge deal. I counted, and he really only hung on tight for maybe 3 seconds after the ref tried separating them. Bj Penn did the same thing to Jens for like 2 seconds and Drew Mcfedries punched the shit out of that guy after he was clearly out. I guess all the uproar is because he admitted he did it on purpose. It's all in the motive. Babalu is a professional fighter and he knows someone isn't in any real danger unless your cut off the blood supply for more that 10 seconds after someone is out. It wasn't as dangerous as everyone is making it out to be.

Post #8   8/27/07 6:08:48PM   

duggy

MMA Regular

duggy Avatar

Career:1,673-897
Chips:

Posted by Mattchupichu

Honestly, I just saw the fight and don't see why it's such a huge deal. I counted, and he really only hung on tight for maybe 3 seconds after the ref tried separating them. Bj Penn did the same thing to Jens for like 2 seconds and Drew Mcfedries punched the shit out of that guy after he was clearly out. I guess all the uproar is because he admitted he did it on purpose. It's all in the motive. Babalu is a professional fighter and he knows someone isn't in any real danger unless your cut off the blood supply for more that 10 seconds after someone is out. It wasn't as dangerous as everyone is making it out to be.

agreed. i was pretty pissed when i read what he did, but when i actually saw it, he only held the choke for about 3 seconds after heath tapped. babalu held the choke just long enough to put heath to sleep, like mattchupichu said, he'd have had to hold the choke for a lot longer to do serious damage. think about it this way: if someone in a fight doesnt tap from a choke they go to sleep and then the hold is let go, like gomi-aurelio 1. essentially the same thing happened, the fighter got choked out and went to sleep. in my opinion heath is a bigger weiner for tapping to a choke in a fight on the big stage, if he was in an arm bar, i understand, as permanent joint damage can be done, but a choke just gives you a little headache when you wake up.

Post #9   8/28/07 1:00:59AM