Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Could any champ go 10-0 against the top 10 in his division?

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

DJDark41

MMA Sensei

DJDark41 Avatar

Career:363-219
Camp: The Pit
Chips:
Well, when you are fighting the best constantly, your bound to lose eventually. Aside from the obvious pick(Fedor)I'd say Anderson Silva would have the best chance to beat the Top 10 in his division, just because there are no real "superstars" in his division. He destroyed Rich Franklin, Nate Marquardt, and he will probably destroy Franklin a second time.

Post #16   8/27/07 4:40:25PM   

hotrodttt

Ridin the MMA WW since 02 !

hotrodttt Avatar

Career:2,558-1,362
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I would go with Anderson Silva at MW and Bj Penn at LW , because the only person I see beating Anderson is Filho and he looked like garbage against Doerkson. And I don't see anyone beating Bj at 155

Post #17   8/27/07 4:51:48PM   

DoTheMMAth

MMA Sensei

DoTheMMAth Avatar

Career:1,409-867
Chips:
Frankly I don't think that anyone could do it IRL, but here's who I think would get closest and maybe be able to do it since we're just talking MMAth here....

Featherweights: Kid Yamamoto - Good shot at 145 or lower, just a monster regardless of which org's featherweight division he fights in. Don't think that the other Kid would stop him either (Urijah). Unless Yamamoto forgot how strike while training for Olympic wrestling over the last 8 months that is...

Lightweights: Sherk or Penn@LW - If they do fight, I'd nominate whichever one of these two wins to hypothetically do it. Especially if it was a focused BJ Penn. If Penn didn't/doesn't beat Sherk I just imagine Sherk doing 5 round fight after 5 round fight and cautiously man-handling/dominating the other 8 LW contenders while not knocking anyone out and occasionally choking someone out.

Welterweights: Not predictable, too much near-equal-level talent, GSP too close to a recent loss, etc.

Middleweights: A Silva or Paulo Filho - Whichever one of these guys would win in a hypothetical fight could also beat the other top 8 contenders in a world where Hendo fights at LHW.

Light Heavies: Same as welterweights, too many talented, near-equal fighters in the same division. Surely one of them could beat Shogun...

Heavyweights: Fedor - More of an honorable mention here, (/flamesuit on) I honestly wasn't that blown away with his last 2 performances (/flamesuit off). Sure, he is a living legend and dismantled what was, at the time, the best HW division in the world at Pride, but I wouldn't put money on him going 3-0 if he were to fight Barnett, Randy, and an angry Mirko just coming off of a loss for his next 3 bouts.

Last edited 8/27/07 6:04PM server time by dothemmath
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #18   8/27/07 6:02:56PM   

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:

Posted by DJDark41

Well, when you are fighting the best constantly, your bound to lose eventually. Aside from the obvious pick(Fedor)I'd say Anderson Silva would have the best chance to beat the Top 10 in his division, just because there are no real "superstars" in his division. He destroyed Rich Franklin, Nate Marquardt, and he will probably destroy Franklin a second time.

i think you are just thinking UFC wise, i think guys like denis kang, paulo filho, and dan henderson (if he moves back down to MW) could give anderson a run for his money, and how can i forget roy chonan haha, you gotta admit though that was an impresive submission from chonan............having said that i still think anderson would get verry close to surpasing the record, and i wouldnt be surprised if he did....

Post #19   8/27/07 11:28:26PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by Taylor8766

The champion I'd go with is Anderson Silva he destroyed Rich in there last fight and thats really is only good challenge in the MW division although I would like to see Franklin beat him, GSP has a very good chance once he becomes champ again, and let me say this there is no way that Fedor could go 10-0 in the heavyweight division, I mean there's no way he could beat Couture, Arlovski, Sylvia, Vera, Gonzaga, and he would even lose to Kongo, there's no way that he could beat any of these fighters let alone in a row.

I can't read your garbage anymore....

Post #20   8/27/07 11:50:10PM   

fullerene

MMA Sensei

fullerene Avatar

Career:1,474-900
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:
The odds of Anderson Silva going 10-0 against Henderson, Lindland, Filho, Kang, Franklin, Okami, Misaki, Shamrock, Bustamante and Tanner is highly unlikely IMO. I'd be impressed and surprised if he went 7-3.

Post #21   8/28/07 8:31:52AM   

xchickox

In Full Mount

xchickox Avatar

Career:594-360
Chips:
i think sean sherk could do that

Post #22   8/28/07 12:14:06PM   

alvin

Learning to Sprawl

alvin Avatar

Career:14-13
Camp: Big Gay Al's Big Gay Training Camp
Chips:
Wouldn't the champ himself be considered number one and thus have to beat himself??? Kidding, I knew you meant top ten contenders.

Sherk has the best chance in my opinion. Shogun would be a close second (assuming he becomes the champ). Only reasson I'd take Sherk over Shogun is that the lightweight division is weaker. 205 is stacked to all hell now.

Silva in his day would be capable of this. Almost did it in 99-06. The losses to Hunt and CC don't count. Arona and Hendo do though.

I'm not speaking F's name until he can suck it up and fight the best fighters in the world again. He ain't gonna find em in Bodog.

Post #23   8/28/07 7:12:10PM   

Naturaldisaster

MMA Sensei

Naturaldisaster Avatar

Career:703-452
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
it would be amazing is someone can do it. It would be a huge challenge but I think if anyone can do it it would be Couture or Anderson Silva

Post #24   8/28/07 8:41:24PM   

The_Grim_Reaper

MMA Regular

The_Grim_Reaper Avatar

Career:349-212
Camp: Soulless Ones
Chips:

Posted by Taylor8766

The champion I'd go with is Anderson Silva he destroyed Rich in there last fight and thats really is only good challenge in the MW division although I would like to see Franklin beat him, GSP has a very good chance once he becomes champ again, and let me say this there is no way that Fedor could go 10-0 in the heavyweight division, I mean there's no way he could beat Couture, Arlovski, Sylvia, Vera, Gonzaga, and he would even lose to Kongo, there's no way that he could beat any of these fighters let alone in a row.

im just going to go ahead and make a prediction....you don't know what the letters MMA stand for do you?

Post #25   8/28/07 9:29:44PM   

xchickox

In Full Mount

xchickox Avatar

Career:594-360
Chips:

Posted by Taylor8766

your just mental

Post #26   8/28/07 9:34:29PM   

naantje

Learning to Sprawl

naantje Avatar

Career:262-141
Chips:

Posted by juanez13

Fedor emelianenko- probably the most well rounded fighter ever in the history of mma, he has been there with thebest strikers, best Sub wizzard, some of the best grapplers...e.t.c- if there is any man that could do this is fedor....

Kid yamamoto- i dont think there is anyone in the featherweight division than can hang with him, there just isnt alot of depth in that division, and he has some amazing skils

BJ penn (lightweight)- if Bj can get his head straight, and really focus and start traning smart, i think he could have the lightweight belt for a long time....

`You are joking right?

Last edited 8/29/07 11:30AM server time by naantje
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #27   8/29/07 11:29:26AM   

Gladiator

In Full Mount

Gladiator Avatar

Career:896-523
Chips:

Posted by naantje

Posted by juanez13

Fedor emelianenko- probably the most well rounded fighter ever in the history of mma, he has been there with thebest strikers, best Sub wizzard, some of the best grapplers...e.t.c- if there is any man that could do this is fedor....

Kid yamamoto- i dont think there is anyone in the featherweight division than can hang with him, there just isnt alot of depth in that division, and he has some amazing skils

BJ penn (lightweight)- if Bj can get his head straight, and really focus and start traning smart, i think he could have the lightweight belt for a long time....

`You are joking right?

what makes u think he is joking? those are good picks.

Post #28   8/29/07 11:37:30AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2