Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Couture over Fedor?

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Career:212-114
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

I would put Fedor over Couture without a doubt.My opinion might sway if Couture was able to take out big Nog.I doubt he can even do that though.

LOL Yes please doubt couture, it only makes him stronger.

Post #16   8/27/07 12:51:13PM   

LR

In Full Mount

LR Avatar

Career:638-326
Chips:
I don't doubt Couture's ability to take out BJJ fighters at all. I think he can dominate them. But Fedor.. I don't think he'd make it out of the first round, but that's my opinion.

Post #17   8/27/07 1:02:18PM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Chips:

Posted by LR

I don't doubt Couture's ability to take out BJJ fighters at all. I think he can dominate them. But Fedor.. I don't think he'd make it out of the first round, but that's my opinion.

Can you name someone that's as good in the clinch as Randy that Fedor has gone up against? Please don't even bring up Lindland, it's not even a valid argument.

Post #18   8/27/07 2:45:51PM   

LR

In Full Mount

LR Avatar

Chips:
In the clinch in previous Fedor fights, I thought at times, Big Nog was pretty damn good in the clinch. He was able to protect himself unlike other opponents. That's as close as it gets, and yes, Randy is one of the best in the clinch. I just don't see Randy using that abilitly to manhandle someone with as good of balance as Fedor. Even if he throws him down from it, or tries to reign elbows or punches on him from the clinch, Fedor has great standup and escape techniques, as well as you can't underestimate his takedowns from the clinch either.

Post #19   8/27/07 3:15:21PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:

Posted by LR

You want to see a very good example of how Fedor would manhandle Randy Couture.

Fedor vs. Mark Coleman

Go watch both of those fights. Coleman literally throws Fedor down the first fight, then when he tries to do it again, Fedor reverses. They get back up, Coleman takes him down again, and Coleman puts his arm on the mat for 1 second, and Fedor buries him with an armbar transition from another damn world. It's ridiculous.

Second fight, Fedor basically outbalances Coleman's takedown attempts and makes Coleman look like a little kid nagging his mother's leg. Coleman couldn't hit him, couldn't take him down. It was embarrassing to a wrestler of Coleman's stature to be unable to do anything against Fedor.

Coleman's striking isn't as good as Randy's, but he has a better wrestling game by far. And Coleman is ridiculously strong, almost a Lesnar look-alike in build.

I agree with alot of what you said, but the big difference that I see between Randy and Mark is, Coleman rely's on brute strength to get his opponet down and beat them. The Coleman you see today is the same Coleman from 10 years ago. He hasn't changed except for getting older.

While Randy gameplans for every opponet. Did you think that Randy would be able to handle GG the way he did??? Do you GG even thought that Randy was gonna use the clinch game and short strikes to beat him?? Randy is so great and game planning.

Randy is going to fight each fight differently while Coleman is the same ole, same ole.

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #20   8/27/07 3:36:35PM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:

Posted by zephead

Posted by LR

You want to see a very good example of how Fedor would manhandle Randy Couture.

Fedor vs. Mark Coleman

Go watch both of those fights. Coleman literally throws Fedor down the first fight, then when he tries to do it again, Fedor reverses. They get back up, Coleman takes him down again, and Coleman puts his arm on the mat for 1 second, and Fedor buries him with an armbar transition from another damn world. It's ridiculous.

Second fight, Fedor basically outbalances Coleman's takedown attempts and makes Coleman look like a little kid nagging his mother's leg. Coleman couldn't hit him, couldn't take him down. It was embarrassing to a wrestler of Coleman's stature to be unable to do anything against Fedor.

Coleman's striking isn't as good as Randy's, but he has a better wrestling game by far. And Coleman is ridiculously strong, almost a Lesnar look-alike in build.

I agree with alot of what you said, but the big difference that I see between Randy and Mark is, Coleman rely's on brute strength to get his opponet down and beat them. The Coleman you see today is the same Coleman from 10 years ago. He hasn't changed except for getting older.

While Randy gameplans for every opponet. Did you think that Randy would be able to handle GG the way he did??? Do you GG even thought that Randy was gonna use the clinch game and short strikes to beat him?? Randy is so great and game planning.

Randy is going to fight each fight differently while Coleman is the same ole, same ole.

Exactly. Randy and Coleman are two hugely different fighters to me. Randy has tons of cardio, Coleman has none.
Coleman works for double-leg takedowns, Randy takes down people from the clinch.
Randy has good head movement and dirty boxing, ColemanĀ“s only movement is shooting for double-legs.

They're both old though even though it feels very strange calling Randy old.

Post #21   8/27/07 3:49:32PM   

LR

In Full Mount

LR Avatar

Chips:
I will agree with those statements. Nonetheless, I think if you take down Fedor and try to work from the guard, he's going to catch you in a submission, no doubt.

Last edited 8/27/07 4:06PM server time by LR
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #22   8/27/07 4:06:15PM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Chips:
That may be true in Pride but that isn't the case in the UFC, and my main reasoning for that is elbows. People underestimate the huge difference in how a person fights when he's getting hit with elbows in the face. If Randy gets Fedor on the ground and start's elbowing him in the face, he will no doubt cover up and attempt to stop getting hit before he starts going for submissions. The cage is a different kind of animal then the ring and CC is a perfect example of this. And until Fedor gets in there and feels what it is to go through that, he will be at a big disadvantage, especially with Randy.

Post #23   8/27/07 4:40:19PM   

The_Grim_Reaper

MMA Regular

The_Grim_Reaper Avatar

Career:349-212
Camp: Soulless Ones
Chips:
well........if Randy got Fedor to the ground and started dropping elbows im sure Fedor would come up with a slick submission like he did with Mark Coleman ..that armbar was from guard.....Fedor sambo champion which makes it alot harder for you to keep him on the ground also...Fedor's trainers and coaches have said that he has probaly only shown 50% of his abilities which is scary....

Post #24   8/27/07 8:01:40PM   

fullfighting

MMA Regular

fullfighting Avatar

Career:151-94
Chips:
Randy is the man, but Fedor is just too good. Fedor wins

Post #25   8/27/07 8:41:12PM   

sakurabaforever

I'm banned and have no life

Career:34-16
Chips:
Fedor is the favorite. Randy hasn't fought a top 10 in years. If Randy beats Big Nog or CC I will give him his dues. Fedor will still be the favorite.

And what is it with all these people thinking Fedor will be more limited in the cage? He will have MORE WEAPONS! His elbows. Image Fedor gnp with elbows. Superior destruction.

Post #26   8/28/07 1:45:00AM   

Piccosaur

MMA Regular

Piccosaur Avatar

Career:3-1
Camp: RB Fighting Systems
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

New bandwagon has started. Not that randy doesn't deserve it but 70%? that fight IMO is 60/40 fedor if not higher. He's beat the best striker, best submission man and some of the better grapplers.

Because Couture has beat a bunch of nobodies.

Couture by KO in the 5th round.

Post #27   8/28/07 5:38:59PM   

Josh3239

Learning to Sprawl

Josh3239 Avatar

Career:55-34
Chips:
Are you actually suggesting that if that fight happend, Randy would get his first KO win ever against the #1 HW who has never been KO'd nonetheless been beaten?

Post #28   8/29/07 12:15:23AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2