Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Oh the controversy!

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

MMA

Pimpin

MMA Avatar

Career:672-349
Chips:
I watched the Babalu-Heath fight and no way did it look like it was 7s. Also for those who said that BJ did not realize that Jens tapped are being delusional. BJ states in one of his latest interviews that he intentionally held the choke longer and regrets releasing it so early!

I understand the circumstances was slightly difference in Babalu's case (Heath being in a more severe condition and the choked applied slightly longer) but they were both ill intents. BJ got off without even a slap on the wrist.

I have to watch the BJ-Jens fight again but I thought the ref also had to apply some force to get BJ to stop (not 100% certain).

Post #16   8/27/07 9:19:44AM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:

Posted by fullerene

Posted by MMA

So what is up with the double-standard? Shouldn't BJ also receive some disciplinary actions for what he did to Jens or are people willing to overlook the fact that BJ held his choke on longer because it's BJ?

I might be wrong in my memory, but I think BJ Penn did not respond to the tap of Pulver but did break the hold very quickly after the ref stepped in.

I don't think the official rule is that you need to break from the tap (is it?)--I think the tap signals to the referee that the fight should be stopped. I know in most cases it's obvous and it's good sportsmanship to stop, but there is an opening for controversy if you force the person applying the sub to make the call (Barnett thought Nog tapped verbally and Royce claims Sak tapped in their first fight, for example).

So I guess I see Babalu's actions as clearly violating the rules while Penn's only violated the informal rules of good sportsmanship.

Great analysis. Babalu´s blatant disrespect for the referee should get him suspended IMO. Even though it doesn't kill anybody to hold an extra 2 seconds the behaviour is dangerous and it's shit like that, that will one day kill someone in this sport. If I'm a proffessional fighter I don't want to fear for my life when I'm on the ground grappling with my opponent.

Great step by Keith Kizer to take away half of his purse. If Babalu pulls that shit again he should get suspended for life.

Post #17   8/27/07 10:38:01AM   

waylon_o

In Full Mount

waylon_o Avatar

Career:162-90
Camp: Wicked Wizards
Chips:
If you think he held on for seven seconds after the tap, you didn't watch the clip or you have absolutely no sense of time.

Post #18   8/27/07 10:45:27AM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Career:212-114
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:
He did not hold for 7 seconds after the tap. He held for almost exactly 3 seconds after the tap. Count out loud when you watch it One-one thousand, two one-thousand, three one-thousand. However, those three seconds were three seconds too much. I say suspend Babalu and if he does it again ban his ass from competing in the US.

Last edited 8/27/07 12:36PM server time by nubby
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #19   8/27/07 12:02:15PM   

tepid55

MMA Sensei

tepid55 Avatar

Career:3,072-1,682
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
The UFC needs to go back to its old-school roots.

Post #20   8/27/07 12:29:45PM   

fullerene

MMA Sensei

fullerene Avatar

Career:1,554-951
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:

Posted by tepid55

The UFC needs to go back to its old-school roots.

What exactly are those? Fights sanctioned by Indian Reservations between guys with karate pants, tank-tops and mullets?

Post #21   8/27/07 12:47:26PM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Career:188-114
Chips:
I just watched the fight there, Babalu looked amazing!

No way is this choke anywhere near as bad as people are making it out to be though. He didnt hold it that long after the tap, and if he hadnt looked so aggressive as he was doing it then I dont think they would have considered it malicious intent, and he wouldn't have been punished.

I was really impressed with Babalu's performance, he really messed Heath up!

Post #22   8/27/07 12:58:36PM   

SteedTheDeed

Standup Guy

SteedTheDeed Avatar

Career:786-501
Chips:
heath disrespected babalu by wearing his mugshot as a shirt so babalu disrespected him right back.

Post #23   8/27/07 1:41:07PM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
i dont know about you guys but if someone wore my mugshot picture in public (i look hideous) i would do the same exact thing babalu did.. teach that punk a lesson. i lost no respect for babalu like some people have infact i may have gained some. that choke is not as bad as people say it is.

although, i do disagree with the punishment from the NSAC. they fined babalu 25k. i personally think they should have just suspended him for six months.

Post #24   8/27/07 1:47:04PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
^^ these guys are professionals, and they need to hold themselves to that standard. Heath was an idiot for disrespecting Babalu, and Babalu was an idiot for disrespecting the sport/fans. I don't think people realize how bad something like this can hurt the MMA world. Babalu obviously doesn't realize it, so teach him a lesson in the form of 25k.

Post #25   8/27/07 2:08:52PM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Chips:

Posted by loller90278

i dont know about you guys but if someone wore my mugshot picture in public (i look hideous) i would do the same exact thing babalu did.. teach that punk a lesson. i lost no respect for babalu like some people have infact i may have gained some. that choke is not as bad as people say it is.

although, i do disagree with the punishment from the NSAC. they fined babalu 25k. i personally think they should have just suspended him for six months.

This is the kind of infantile mentality that gives critics ammunition for the sport. Heath wore a T-Shirt and Sobral Choked the guy unconcious after he tapped, yeah that's the same thing right? It's not OK to pull that kind of shit, what if the next time Sobral wants to teach someone else a lesson except this time it's an armbar and he gives the guy a dislocated arm, is that not a big deal either? The reality is that even if choking Heath unconcious was not terribly dangerous for his health it shows Sobrals neglegence and lack of forethought. Dana would be an utter idiot not to punish this guy with a suspension and threaten a ban if he does it again.

Post #26   8/27/07 3:25:04PM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:

Posted by nubby

Posted by loller90278

This is the kind of infantile mentality that gives critics ammunition for the sport. Heath wore a T-Shirt and Sobral Choked the guy unconcious after he tapped, yeah that's the same thing right? It's not OK to pull that kind of shit, what if the next time Sobral wants to teach someone else a lesson except this time it's an armbar and he gives the guy a dislocated arm, is that not a big deal either? The reality is that even if choking Heath unconcious was not terribly dangerous for his health it shows Sobrals neglegence and lack of forethought. Dana would be an utter idiot not to punish this guy with a suspension and threaten a ban if he does it again.

Exactly. What kind of caveman mentality is it to disrespect the sport, the organization and the referee to get revenge for something nobody's even seen (pics or proof please!?!?)!?. Even if he did wear a shirt like that, how childish, ignorant and stupid do you have to be to care about that.

He used to be one of my favorites. Gotta go watch Lambert knock his ass out a few times now....

Post #27   8/27/07 3:42:25PM   

Damien6663

MMA Regular

Damien6663 Avatar

Career:81-26
Chips:
im sure id babalu just said his adrenaline was up and he didnt realize he tapped, he would not have gotten fined, but his attitude did not help.

Post #28   8/27/07 3:55:06PM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Damien6663

im sure id babalu just said his adrenaline was up and he didnt realize he tapped, he would not have gotten fined, but his attitude did not help.

You are absolutely right, which explains why BJ wasn't slapped with a fine.

Post #29   8/27/07 4:42:33PM   

alvin

Learning to Sprawl

alvin Avatar

Career:14-13
Camp: Big Gay Al's Big Gay Training Camp
Chips:
Let's just hope it doesn't make ESPN if it hasn't already. Nice work Renato. Just what this sport needs as it's finally emerging as legitimate. Thank god for guys like Randy.

Post #30   8/27/07 4:45:58PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3