Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

"Babalu" Disgraces the Sport

Print  
  Page 1 of 5     1     2     3     4   >>
Posted By Message

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
Wow, was I wrong on the Renato "Babalu" Sobral -David Heath fight. I figured Babalu's recent personal problems would be too much for him to overcome and I thought Heath would defeat him Saturday at UFC 74.

LINK

Keith Kizer, the executive director of the Nevada Athletic Commisison, said he was going to hold half of Renato "Babalu" Sobral's $50,000 purse pending a review of his actions during his UFC 74 win Saturday over David Heath at Mandalay Bay.

LINK 2

Last edited 8/26/07 10:42AM server time by zephead
Edit note/reason: n/a

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #1   8/26/07 10:41:02AM   

DoTheMMAth

MMA Sensei

DoTheMMAth Avatar

Career:1,370-848
Chips:

Posted by zephead

Wow, was I wrong on the Renato "Babalu" Sobral -David Heath fight. I figured Babalu's recent personal problems would be too much for him to overcome and I thought Heath would defeat him Saturday at UFC 74.

LINK

Keith Kizer, the executive director of the Nevada Athletic Commisison, said he was going to hold half of Renato "Babalu" Sobral's $50,000 purse pending a review of his actions during his UFC 74 win Saturday over David Heath at Mandalay Bay.

LINK 2

I splurged and paid the $1.99 to watch the fight on UFC on demand. It was very blatant and obvious, he deserves the penalty. He ignored Mazagati and kept squeezing until Heath passed out. To quote Rogan "he looked Steve Mazagati right in the eye", then he locked down harder rather than releasing. Completely classless.

On a funny note, Goldie called Mazagati "John McCarthy" at one point in the fight.

Post #2   8/26/07 10:53:31AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
It's almost like Babalu wants to be told "clean out your locker kid your not welcome here no more" But atleats we all now know what that Murder scene in the middle of the ring was all about.

Post #3   8/26/07 10:54:39AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I think babalu made a statement with that, that he is back!

Post #4   8/26/07 10:55:41AM   

DoTheMMAth

MMA Sensei

DoTheMMAth Avatar

Career:1,370-848
Chips:

Posted by postman

But atleats we all now know what that Murder scene in the middle of the ring was all about.

Yeah I was wondering that the whole night. Poor Heath, guy gets his forehead turned into a ketchup fountain then gets choked out after he tapped. I haven't seen that much blood in a fight in quite a while.

Post #5   8/26/07 10:59:06AM   

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:
Heath taps at 3:30 of the second round, but Sobral absolutely will not let go. Finally the red separates them, after Heath is out cold. Sobral mentions in the post-fight interview that’ve didn’t let go on purpose, that Heath “needs to learn some respect” and that he “deserves that sh*t.“

Babalu Is back!! he has always been one of my favourite fighter, and i love watching him fight, but i hpe his actions dont get him in to much trouble....

Post #6   8/26/07 11:00:47AM   

silverbullet

Shrimpin' ain't easy

Career:144-82
Chips:
I don't want to say "I told you so" but I did tell you so. I don't think that a fighter charged with assault should be allowed in the octagon until the charges are cleared up or dismissed. This is what happens when you let criminals inside the octagon. And now all the analysts are coming out of the woodwork, "Oh, who would have known!". You let criminals in the ring, don't expect anything good to come out of it.

Post #7   8/26/07 11:25:02AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by juanez13

Babalu Is back!! he has always been one of my favourite fighter, and i love watching him fight, but i hpe his actions dont get him in to much trouble....

And I hope they do.

I haven't seen it yet, but he apparently ignored the referee, in addition to ignoring Heath's tapout, violating the unwritten code of conduct, and needlessly endangering his opponent's health. Mean-spirited blood-lust like that is exactly what the sport and organization doesn't need right now. I wouldn't be surprised if all that is judged to be grounds for voiding the Win, and leveling a suspension and a fine.

And I think Renato deserves (and will get) all kinds of shit from his peers.

Like I say, I haven't seen the video yet, but I'm glad it wasn't aired.

p.s. In my opinion, the violation of the fighter's code of conduct is worse than ignoring the ref. All of the rules and doctors and safety equipment is fine and dandy, but in a combat sport, you have rely on the fact that your opponent isn't actually trying to injure you, because it's very easy to do. I wouldn't want to be Babalu the next time he goes into the gym. I think he'll be spending some time training alone.

Last edited 8/26/07 11:36AM server time by AchillesHeel
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   8/26/07 11:33:13AM   

crushedbacon

In Full Mount

crushedbacon Avatar

Career:868-562
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:
whata classless sack .........

Post #9   8/26/07 11:40:40AM   

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by juanez13

And I hope they do.

I haven't seen it yet, but he apparently ignored the referee, in addition to ignoring Heath's tapout, violating the unwritten code of conduct, and needlessly endangering his opponent's health. Mean-spirited blood-lust like that is exactly what the sport and organization doesn't need right now. I wouldn't be surprised if all that is judged to be grounds for voiding the Win, and leveling a suspension and a fine.

And I think Renato deserves (and will get) all kinds of shit from his peers.

Like I say, I haven't seen the video yet, but I'm glad it wasn't aired.

p.s. In my opinion, the violation of the fighter's code of conduct is worse than ignoring the ref. All of the rules and doctors and safety equipment is fine and dandy, but in a combat sport, you have rely on the fact that your opponent isn't actually trying to injure you, because it's very easy to do. I wouldn't want to be Babalu the next time he goes into the gym. I think he'll be spending some time training alone.

i agree with you, there is no reason to do such a thing, endanger your opponent of serious harm, and give MMA haters another reason to talk shit...
babalu has always been a guy i love watching fight, and i was just happy that he came in hungry and won the fight, but by no means am i trying to defend him......He did the wrong thing, and he knows whats coming to him...

Post #10   8/26/07 11:52:26AM   

thepitbull00

MMA Regular

thepitbull00 Avatar

Career:2,285-1,596
Camp: country KO
Chips:
BJ Penn did the same thing to Jens Pulver and nobody says anything. So when a rich boy does something wrong its brushed under the rug and when a guy thats had a bit of hard luck lately does it everyone tries to crucify him. I don't get it.

Post #11   8/26/07 12:04:45PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Chips:

Posted by thepitbull00

BJ Penn did the same thing to Jens Pulver and nobody says anything.

First of all, it doesn't sound the same. According to what I'm reading, Sobral deliberately ignored the referee and choked Heath into unconsciousness, then said Heath deserved it in the post-fight interview.

Second, people did say something about Penn holding on a little longer than he needed to.

Post #12   8/26/07 12:13:53PM   

Stills79

MMA Regular

Stills79 Avatar

Career:140-82
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I think babalu made a statement with that, that he is back!

Looks like you have about as much class as he does. Get real. This guy should be banned for life. A true black eye to the sport

Post #13   8/26/07 12:21:25PM   

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by thepitbull00

BJ Penn did the same thing to Jens Pulver and nobody says anything. So when a rich boy does something wrong its brushed under the rug and when a guy thats had a bit of hard luck lately does it everyone tries to crucify him. I don't get it.

that is also true, a also dont forget about royce gracie, he did this many more times than anybody, just look at his fights in the past, and when thay tapped he never let go, even if it was an arm bar or something that could cause a more dangerous injury, i know it was different back than, but it was still unsportsmaship behaviour, and i dont see anybodyquestioning his status as a great fighter beacuse of this.....or even takanori gomi when he Kocked out Luiz Azeredo and he kept punching him when he was Ko'd, or when anderson silva hit yushin okami with that illegal kick onthe floor, the point is i am not rying to say it Ok to do it becuase some other people have done it, im just saying ppl are making to much of a big deal out of this, when they said nothing when somebody else did...

Post #14   8/26/07 12:22:23PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Chips:

Posted by juanez13

Posted by thepitbull00

that is also true, a also dont forget about royce gracie, he did this many more times than anybody, just look at his fights in the past, and when thay tapped he never let go, even if it was an arm bar or something that could cause a more dangerous injury, i know it was different back than, but it was still unsportsmaship behaviour, and i dont see anybodyquestioning his status as a great fighter beacuse of this.....or even takanori gomi when he Kocked out Luiz Azeredo and he kept punching him when he was Ko'd, or when anderson silva hit yushin okami with that illegal kick onthe floor, the point is i am not rying to say it Ok to do it becuase some other people have done it, im just saying ppl are making to much of a big deal out of this, when they said nothing when somebody else did...

When Gracie was choking people out, the UFC was referred to as "human cockfighting" and nobody would sanction it. The organization was nearly dead when White and the Fertitta brothers bought it. When Anderson Silva hit Okami with an illegal kick, he was DQ'd and given the Loss. I haven't seen the Gomi-Azeredo fight, but so far you're supporting my position nicely.

Post #15   8/26/07 12:33:41PM   

Page 1 of 5     1     2     3     4   >>