Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

kendall grove exposed

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:
i think an above average patrick cote exposed grove as the most overrated fighter in ufc. i know grove was winning the fight at the time and got hit with a perfect punch but if you want to be a top contender, patrick cote is not the guy to lose to. i expect the ufc to throw grove three more chris price's to build him up, and expect cote to get a big name in his next fight.

Post #1   8/26/07 10:02:24AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:
So... Grove was winning, and then he got hit with a "perfect" punch, and he was somehow "exposed"..? And who overrates him? He's not currently listed in the MMA Playground Top 10, not even as an "honorable mention."

Post #2   8/26/07 10:25:34AM   

Ydoc

Belt Contender

Ydoc Avatar

Career:1,371-849
Camp: Camp David
Chips:
I think Grove's chin will always be his problem, and it doesn't help that he is in a mainly striking division. First Riggs now Cote... I'm gonna have to think harder about the type of guys he can beat in the future before picking him. I always hate when something a fighter can't control ends up costing him.

Post #3   8/26/07 10:39:51AM   

MMA

Pimpin

MMA Avatar

Career:672-349
Chips:
Cote fought a smart fight by utilizing the clinch. We all know that Grove does not use his reach to his advantage and that he had a suspect chin. I know that Cote was trying to ground Grove in their fight but got off a shot that absolutely rocked him.

I know Cote has heavy hands, but damn, that rocked Kendall bad. It didn't look like it had a lot of power because it came at an odd angle but it nailed him bad.

Post #4   8/26/07 10:50:06AM   

dstlvb

MMA Regular

dstlvb Avatar

Career:373-248
Chips:
He may have a suspect chin, but in that fight last night Cote looked like he caught him right below and behind the ear. That was the shot that did it for Cote. Kendall went down and tried to scramble but a fighter like Cote was able to capitalize.

Post #5   8/26/07 10:50:17AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
Let me say this. I was cheering for Cote, but picked Kendall to win by decision. cote fought a smart fight and am happy for him.Whether his big punch was lucky or not, he still fought a good fight.

Post #6   8/26/07 10:57:28AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by dstlvb

[...]in that fight last night Cote looked like he caught him right below and behind the ear.

Exactly. It didn't have anything to do with Grove's chin (and there's nothing to suggest that it's "suspect" anyway - I'm not sure where that idea came from). Go find someone who's had some fight training and ask them to punch you in the ear, really hard. Then come back and give us a report.

What was suspect was Grove's decision to stand and trade with Cote. Cote has some grappling skills - he's an MMA fighter, after all - but Grove clearly has the edge on the mat. Or, at least, he should have had the edge. For some reason, he decided to hang out inside Cote's strike zone and let it rip. Going into that fight, everybody in the world knew that Cote had the heavier hands. I think Kendall's ego got in the way of his brain, is all.

I agree that Cote is a good fighter. This matchup was a "coin toss" for me, before I saw Grove trying to box it out. Unfortunately, it was too late to change my pick by then.

Post #7   8/26/07 11:06:46AM   

Tons33

MMA Regular

Tons33 Avatar

Career:30-13
Camp: East Coast Top Team
Chips:
While sitting and watching this fight i was screaming at the TV for Grove to take it to the mat. I felt that knockout punch coming from Cote. Right before it happened i said to myself Grove better get this to the ground or he is getting knocked out. Bad decision making by Grove ultimately lead to his defeat. Cote is a decent fighter, but a guy a up and coming stud should be able to beat.

Post #8   8/26/07 11:14:59AM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Career:212-114
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:
I have to admit I though Kendall would walk through Cote, but in the back of my head I was worried about Cote's heavy hands. Good job Cote... damn that sucks for Kendall.

Post #9   8/26/07 12:54:46PM   

Chris_Keppel

Banned

Career:51-37
Chips:
I honestly, chose Cote at first to beat Grove via TKO. BUT, since Grove was trainin' out there in Big Bear, I thought Kendall might of handled him. You have to remember, Cote was a guy who almost knocked out Tito Ortiz. Those little canadian fuckers can get fiesty. lol

Post #10   8/26/07 12:58:59PM   

MMA

Pimpin

MMA Avatar

Career:672-349
Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel
Exactly. It didn't have anything to do with Grove's chin (and there's nothing to suggest that it's "suspect" anyway - I'm not sure where that idea came from). Go find someone who's had some fight training and ask them to punch you in the ear, really hard. Then come back and give us a report.

What was suspect was Grove's decision to stand and trade with Cote. Cote has some grappling skills - he's an MMA fighter, after all - but Grove clearly has the edge on the mat. Or, at least, he should have had the edge. For some reason, he decided to hang out inside Cote's strike zone and let it rip. Going into that fight, everybody in the world knew that Cote had the heavier hands. I think Kendall's ego got in the way of his brain, is all.

I agree that Cote is a good fighter. This matchup was a "coin toss" for me, before I saw Grove trying to box it out. Unfortunately, it was too late to change my pick by then.

It's because Joe Riggs and Hector Ramirez, both heavy handed fighters, were able to KO Kendall pretty early in their fights.

Post #11   8/26/07 1:02:15PM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:
i just think kendall was getting too much hype, improved or not the man has a loss to savant young on his record, who is a mediocre ifl fighter. i picked kendall but i was happy to see cote knock him out.

Last edited 8/26/07 10:26PM server time by svartorm
Edit note/reason: Fighter bashing

Post #12   8/26/07 2:10:48PM   

BerndRealBad

MMA Regular

BerndRealBad Avatar

Career:1,068-556
Chips:
I agree that he is very overrated. I couldn't believe that when I picked Cote by TKO in the 2nd, and saw that only 22% agreed Cote was going to win. Like someone else said, I think they will give him the Huerta treatment and feed him 2 or 3 fights in a row. Either that or he finally gets the Rory Singer matchup he's been looking forward to.

Last edited 8/26/07 10:27PM server time by svartorm
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #13   8/26/07 3:23:13PM   

Sam_Rothstein

Belt Contender

Sam_Rothstein Avatar

Career:950-555
Chips:
yeah kendall did get rocked pretty bad, i had him winning by submission because of how easily cote was submitted by travis lutter but those submission skills dont do anything when you try to stand with a tough kickboxer of cotes level

you'd figure with how easy kendall was knocked out in his earliar fights (ramirez, riggs) he would known better

Post #14   8/26/07 6:31:19PM   

owen1

Standup Guy

owen1 Avatar

Career:845-441
Chips:
Kendall is a good fighter he just got caught..it happens..he will be back

Post #15   8/26/07 7:38:57PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3