Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Rampage wants 6 months off for a Reality show

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

MMAnomale

MMA Regular

MMAnomale Avatar

Career:155-77
Chips:
In a previous thread, a journalist goes up to Big Bear to watch Ramage work out. During that time, he interviewed Quinton's manager. Jackson's manager stated that after the fight with Henderson, Rampage wants six months off. He is taking bids from Spike, MTV, and A&E for a reality show.
First of all, he just came to the UFC, and second of all, with the influx of Pride fighters, isn't there too many LH's in line for title shot for him to take a six-month break. Now granted, if he loses his bout w/Hendo, this won't be a problem. However, if he wins, what will Dana say about his 'time-off?' When would Shogun get his shot? What about the winner of Chuck/Wandy (if and when they fight after the Liddell/Jardine fight)?
Look, I'm all for bettering yourself and improving your financial situation. Rampage is now finally making good money for his fights, especially after winner the title. He'll make great money with a reality show. But the question is, is this the right decision? Is it too soon, after joining the UFC, to have a six-month absence?

Post #1   8/24/07 10:28:14AM   

MMAnomale

MMA Regular

MMAnomale Avatar

Career:155-77
Chips:
For the link to the complete interview, go to the thread titled, "Rampage/Hendo Media Days."

Post #2   8/24/07 10:29:42AM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
Yes it's too soon... It'd be just like the WW situation... With the huge pool of talented welters the UFC has, making us wait this long for a title fight is bullshit... All for the sake of a reality show

Post #3   8/24/07 10:33:09AM   

thepunisher

In Full Mount

thepunisher Avatar

Career:338-213
Camp: MMA Weekly
Chips:

Post #4   8/24/07 10:43:08AM   

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:
man i really like rampage, he is one of my top ten favourites, but if he puts te division on hold for this long, i hope wanderlei murders him with those Knees, i hope he just realizes its not the right thing to do, and if he doesnt than i hope dan henderson beats him....

Post #5   8/24/07 10:47:01AM   

LR

In Full Mount

LR Avatar

Career:638-326
Chips:
It's interesting. Dana White would have a predicament. White has always been an advocate of making the best fights at the best time for the pure push of the popularity of the sport. He's made light of PRIDE putting Silva in against Crocop and destroying a huge matchup that could have been better. This is sort of the same boat. If Rampage wins, he'll be in demand, but if he loses, he is still a top contender. So what happens? The show could jump popularity of Rampage, and popularity of UFC. Somewhat a tough choice, more promotion through a reality show or get Rampage in the ring. I say keep Rampage fighting, more PPV dollars for UFC, but the show will give Rampage mo' money!

Post #6   8/24/07 10:52:59AM   

three_days_of_grey

MMA Regular

three_days_of_grey Avatar

Career:902-534
Chips:
The concept of taking 6 months off from something you do daily to do a "reality" show is inane and well...the exact opposite of his reality. I do think there DW will use this possible venture to his advantage and allow for time off, but not for that length of time, even though precedent has been set with TUF6. 3-4 months should be sufficient to get enough footage. Also there are enough major LHW contender bouts possible to keep our attention and keep the division from slowing to a crawl. I do know that if the show gets the greenlight, it will need subtitles.

-OUT-

Last edited 8/24/07 11:53AM server time by three_days_of_grey
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   8/24/07 11:29:58AM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Career:188-114
Chips:
I think Dana will allow the time off. Right now, getting the sport out to new people will be more important to Dana than having Rampage fighting really regularly.

Imo its not too bad, after the Henderson fight, Rampage would likely have had 4 months out before his next fight, so 6 months isnt too unreasonable.

Its nowhere near as bad as the Matt Serra Situation, which imo is situation in much more urgent need of a conclusion.

Its cool we are going to see into Rampage's life, the guy is insanely charismatic, Im really glad he is the new face of the UFC. Imo, Chuck wasnt nearly dynamic enough to do things like have his own dedicated program. I would get bored after 5 minutes, but with Rampage this is sure to be a winner!

Post #8   8/24/07 12:05:03PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
It's not uncommon for Champions to go 6 months between fights, when Serra faces Hughes at the end of the year it'll have been something like 7-8 months between fights. It should be good for all parties, he'll probably still have plenty of time for training, sponsor commitments/appearances/etc., let him have the time off.

Post #9   8/24/07 12:17:49PM   

Ultimate_fighter

Banned

Career:270-165
Chips:
Man, if Serra can take a year off, rampage can take 6 months off, its bs but rampage is the champ...

Post #10   8/24/07 1:41:53PM   

ocho-cinco

In Full Mount

ocho-cinco Avatar

Career:994-597
Camp: nelson top team
Chips:
If Rampage beats Hendo, then taking 6 months between fights is bullshit. Yeah it would be good promotion for him, and by association the UFC, but you can't have a belt sit around for half a year, in such a stacked division. If Rampage had a show I would probably watch it, but I would much rather see him in the octagon. Now if he happens to lose the belt, then he sould go for it.

Post #11   8/24/07 1:42:58PM   

TOMMYAYO05

MMA Sensei

TOMMYAYO05 Avatar

Career:481-312
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
I have to admit it would be pretty interesting watching him but i mean come on he just won the lhw world belt and he cant just take six months off,maybe if he losses to hendo,but not if he wins.NO WAY!!!

Post #12   8/24/07 2:17:19PM   

Bass

Learning to Sprawl

Career:400-261
Camp: UFCmaniacs
Chips:
that's f 'n stupid, 6 months.......come on! i kinda hope ramoage loses now because that is the stupidest thing i've heard. 6 MONTHS!!!!!

Post #13   8/24/07 3:25:04PM   

immortal621

Learning to Sprawl

Career:662-422
Camp: PFC
Chips:
well 6 months is a bet extensive, but if he defends his belt than i definatly think he desirves some time off, those other guys should have a few quality fights first before a title shot but thats just me. i dont think it matters much, ramage is one of my favorite fights but i doubt hes going to beat henderson

Post #14   8/24/07 5:37:02PM   

DJDark41

MMA Sensei

DJDark41 Avatar

Career:363-219
Camp: The Pit
Chips:
At first, I was extremely happy that Rampage won the belt, cause I was sick of seeing the belt around Chucks chubby little waist. And I'm glad he did it with as much brutality as possible. But, now I'm starting to think he cares more about the money then he does about the fighting. The only reality show I'd be ok with him doing is TUF 7, or maybe if the show was just documenting him training for 3-4 months to prepare for a title defense.

Post #15   8/24/07 5:45:17PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2