Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dana answers our questions.

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
You have questions for Dana White, he has answers. The outspoken president of the Ultimate Fighting Championship is rarely shy with his opinions, as he demonstrates here in the latest Yahoo! Sports reader Q & A.

Link

Post #1   8/22/07 10:46:33PM   

patdaddy

Banned

Career:43-36
Chips:
Wow, i think this is an awesome interview. answered a couple of good questions ive been wondering. thank you...

Post #2   8/23/07 12:35:47AM   

Focker101

MMA Regular

Focker101 Avatar

Career:1,394-777
Chips:
Wow Dana White can back pedal with the best of them

Cant believe a word out of his mouth

Post #3   8/23/07 7:15:09AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
Why did he dodge this question?

How come when I pay $40-$50 on a PPV why do I have to sit through a movie trailer? Is that not a commercial? That's why I paid for the event, so I didn't have to sit through commercials. Please don't get money hungry and continue screwing the fans!

Post #4   8/23/07 8:33:44AM   

NME

MMA Regular

NME Avatar

Career:513-264
Camp: The F4W EMPIRE~!
Chips:

Posted by Rush

How come when I pay $40-$50 on a PPV why do I have to sit through a movie trailer? Is that not a commercial? That's why I paid for the event, so I didn't have to sit through commercials. Please don't get money hungry and continue screwing the fans!

There is natural down time between fights. The UFC has an opportunity to make money by showing a 30 second or one minute movie trailer. From a business standpoint, it makes more sense than, say, having Goldberg and Rogan idly banter back and forth about the previous match or the upcoming match, or showing longer videos of fighters shadow boxing in the rain, or more shots of the crowd, or additional interviews with C level celebrities in attendance.

Also, complaining about a brief movie trailer during a 3 hour event comes across as whiny. It's not as though they cut away between rounds to re-air a movie trailer. If it's that offensive to people, I can offer a few suggestions:

1. Go to the bathroom between fights
2. Make a snack between fights
3. Do not order the event

Post #5   8/23/07 10:07:46AM   

fullerene

MMA Sensei

fullerene Avatar

Career:1,526-937
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:

Posted by NME

[There is natural down time between fights. The UFC has an opportunity to make money by showing a 30 second or one minute movie trailer. From a business standpoint, it makes more sense than, say, having Goldberg and Rogan idly banter back and forth about the previous match or the upcoming match, or showing longer videos of fighters shadow boxing in the rain, or more shots of the crowd, or additional interviews with C level celebrities in attendance.

Also, complaining about a brief movie trailer during a 3 hour event comes across as whiny. It's not as though they cut away between rounds to re-air a movie trailer. If it's that offensive to people, I can offer a few suggestions:

Exactly. The same people who complain about this complain about:the price of PPVs and the low salaries that fighters get and then they complain or are confused when organizations like the WFA and Pride go out of business.

Making money is part of running a business and the UFC seems to be the only MMA org that can do it effectively (and that's only a recent development). As a long-time boxing fan I can tell you MMA PPVs are much better. They show more fights, they show more compettive fights and they generally cost less as well.

Post #6   8/23/07 10:22:57AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by Rush

No the reason you bought a PPV is because that is the only way you can see the fights. If they had commercials during the middle of each round and between fights most would still buy the events.

Post #7   8/23/07 11:06:23AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Chips:
You guys missed my point.

I know why they are showing trailers and such. Duh! To make money, but Dana dodged the question and acted like an asshole in the process.

Also, and I am sorry, PPV means you shouldn't have commercials. That is why PPV movies do not have previews before the start time.

While in general it doesn't bother me time wise, I am not a fan of the following concepts:

1) Having to watch commercials in PPV events (if I paid the $$$ for the event). If I watch it at a bar for free then I can't complain then can I?
2) Having to watch commercials at movie theatres that charge over 12$ admission, because the theatre owners cry that they are not making any money. You wonder why people download movies.
3) Buying a DVD and the first thing that comes on when I put in the DVD is a message telling me that downloading movies is illegal. Geesh, what a slap in the face to the person (me) that just purchased a legit DVD.

If they had commercials during the middle of each round and between fights most would still buy the events

IMO, only sheep would pay 40-50$ for a PPV and then tolerate commercials in between rounds.

I know you guys don't agree with me, but I just needed to speak my mind.

Post #8   8/23/07 11:33:54AM   

EddieBowers

MMA Regular

EddieBowers Avatar

Career:126-96
Camp: TX Ground and Pound
Chips:
There is natural down time between fights. The UFC has an opportunity to make money by showing a 30 second or one minute movie trailer. From a business standpoint, it makes more sense than, say, having Goldberg and Rogan idly banter back and forth about the previous match or the upcoming match, or showing longer videos of fighters shadow boxing in the rain, or more shots of the crowd, or additional interviews with C level celebrities in attendance.

I do not think I coudl have said it any better.

Post #9   8/23/07 11:45:41AM   

NME

MMA Regular

NME Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Rush

You guys missed my point.

I know why they are showing trailers and such. Duh! To make money, but Dana dodged the question and acted like an asshole in the process.

Well, I did address this.

complaining about a brief movie trailer during a 3 hour event comes across as whiny.

If you ask a whiny question that has a very obvious answer, chances are people will not waste their time addressing the question.

Post #10   8/23/07 12:12:27PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Chips:
Then why was the question even given to Dana White in the first place if it was so stupid. I'm sure there were many other 'legitamate' questions on the list that could've been answered.

Post #11   8/23/07 12:52:52PM   

xxdeadpoolxx

MMA Regular

xxdeadpoolxx Avatar

Career:890-595
Camp: Rocky Mountain Wrecking Crew
Chips:
good interview

Post #12   8/23/07 1:19:50PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
I'd rather watch a guy shave his ass for 30 seconds then listen to rogan and golberg banter. I like the movie trailers, most of the time there good movies.

Post #13   8/23/07 2:24:59PM   

NME

MMA Regular

NME Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Rush

Then why was the question even given to Dana White in the first place if it was so stupid. I'm sure there were many other 'legitamate' questions on the list that could've been answered.

I, and I'm sure Dana, agree(s) with that.

Post #14   8/23/07 2:37:06PM   

ocho-cinco

In Full Mount

ocho-cinco Avatar

Career:994-597
Camp: nelson top team
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

I'd rather watch a guy shave his ass for 30 seconds then listen to rogan and golberg banter. I like the movie trailers, most of the time there good movies.

I like Rogan, but I'd like to see Golberg replaced, although I always laugh at some of the dumb shit he says

Post #15   8/23/07 4:47:59PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2