Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Josh Koscheck – Just Win, Baby

Print  
Posted By Message

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
Josh Koscheck had this one in the bag. With under a minute to go, he was on the verge of handing heated rival Diego Sanchez his first professional loss at UFC 69 in April and moving ever closer to a shot at the welterweight title.

LINK

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #1   8/22/07 2:19:19PM   

TOMMYAYO05

MMA Sensei

TOMMYAYO05 Avatar

Career:481-312
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
Plain and simple...................Kos is the man

Post #2   8/22/07 4:11:46PM   

JWils

Standup Guy

JWils Avatar

Career:1,467-773
Chips:
I hope he gets to fight Hughes someday.....

My favorite fighter vs. least favorite. Plus it would be a very even matchup.

Hughes' strength vs. Kos's athleticism.

Post #3   8/22/07 4:52:52PM   

silverbullet

Shrimpin' ain't easy

Career:144-82
Chips:

Posted by JWils

This fight would be a repeat of Sanchez-Koscheck, with Koscheck picking Hughes apart each round.

Hughes used his superior wrestling to take his opponents down for 15 minute long sessions of lay and pray. Koscheck is a younger and much more accomplished wrestler than Hughes, so that plan would not work.

Hughes attempted striking a couple of times, and got knocked out. He would be dominated and thoroughly embarrassed by Koscheck if this fight ever happened.

Post #4   8/22/07 5:10:31PM   

JWils

Standup Guy

JWils Avatar

Career:1,467-773
Chips:

Posted by silverbullet

Posted by JWils

This fight would be a repeat of Sanchez-Koscheck, with Koscheck picking Hughes apart each round.

Hughes used his superior wrestling to take his opponents down for 15 minute long sessions of lay and pray. Koscheck is a younger and much more accomplished wrestler than Hughes, so that plan would not work.

Hughes attempted striking a couple of times, and got knocked out. He would be dominated and thoroughly embarrassed by Koscheck if this fight ever happened.

Hughes is no striker. It's not a secret. Hughes won't win a fight in the UFC against anyone if he chooses to stand or can't get the fight to the ground.

As for the wrestling, sure Kos is a more decorated wrestler outside of the cage but I have yet to see Kos use his wrestling skill to dominate opponents like Hughes has inside the cage.

Kos has to develop the submission game to be on Hughes level on the mat, IMO.

So, yeah, Kos would win a stand up fight but who knows if he can handle Hughes on the ground. That's what I want to see. If he can, then of course, he would probably win a lopsided decision. If he can't then he'll get dominated. Pretty simple really. I hope we see this fight next year but I think GSP is going to beat Kos so it might never happen.

Post #5   8/22/07 5:51:59PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:

Posted by silverbullet

Posted by JWils

I'm not a Matt Hughes fan, but when did Matt start to "lay-n-pray?" He is 41-5. With 9 fights going to decision. That's 21% of his fights.

"Mach" Sakurai has gone to a decision 40% of the time.

GSP has gone to a decision 23% of the time.

Josh Kosheck has gone to a decision 44% of the time

John Fitch has gone to a decision 35% of the time.

Diego Snachez has gone to a decision 23% of the time.

BJ Penn has gone to a decision 27% of the time.

Big Nog has gone to a decision 30% of the time

Fedor has gone to a decision 26% of the time.

Right there, Matt has the best percantage of his fights FINISHING. It's not like I showed a bunch of bums either. Ya might not like Matt, but he isn't a "lay-n-pray" fighter

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #6   8/22/07 5:52:50PM   

Branwest

Standup Guy

Branwest Avatar

Career:224-109
Camp: X-treme Fighting Systems
Chips:
Kos's athleticism is extraordinary. He's a phenomenal wrestler, and a great athlete. He needs to keep working on his boxing though. Kos v. Hughes would be good to see: both great wrestlers, both very strong. I'd pick Hughes, there's just no way, at this stage of his game, that Kos would "pick Hughes apart" as said earlier. Just no way. He won't get past GSP.

Post #7   8/22/07 6:45:37PM   

TOMMYAYO05

MMA Sensei

TOMMYAYO05 Avatar

Career:481-312
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:

Posted by Branwest

Kos's athleticism is extraordinary. He's a phenomenal wrestler, and a great athlete. He needs to keep working on his boxing though. Kos v. Hughes would be good to see: both great wrestlers, both very strong. I'd pick Hughes, there's just no way, at this stage of his game, that Kos would "pick Hughes apart" as said earlier. Just no way. He won't get past GSP.

i think he would definetely pick hughes apart

Post #8   8/22/07 6:47:34PM   

Vietnamese_Guy

Standup Guy

Vietnamese_Guy Avatar

Career:198-109
Camp: Shogun Academy
Chips:
Kos actually took tim sylvia's style for the fight with sanchez, i think its called sprawl and stall..

lay and pray actually might be perferrable to the sprawl and stall

Post #9   8/22/07 8:51:54PM   

patdaddy

Banned

Career:43-36
Chips:
kos, jus lose baby. lol... i sooo hate lay n pray. it shouldnt win fights...

Post #10   8/22/07 10:11:53PM   

jomatty

In Full Mount

jomatty Avatar

Career:137-79
Camp: bet the rent
Chips:
the one area that hughes has an edge in would be his jiu jitsu and submission game. it is light years ahead of kos's and that could be the difference. kos's wresling and takedowns may be better but hughes is the more complete grappler. would be an interesting matchup and maybe boring but id like to see who came out on top.

Post #11   8/23/07 4:52:47AM   

DMcCabe11

Banned

Career:43-19
Camp: East Coast Top Team
Chips:
Matt Hughes isn't a wrestler anymore he's a MMA ground fighter there is certain fighters liek Kos or like a Jako O'Brien who is a wrsetler but Matt HUghes is a mixed martial artist ont he ground he has very good takedowns very good ground positioning and stirking and he is very good at submissions

Post #12   8/23/07 3:09:57PM   

Branwest

Standup Guy

Branwest Avatar

Career:224-109
Camp: X-treme Fighting Systems
Chips:

Posted by TOMMYAYO05

Posted by Branwest

i think he would definetely pick hughes apart

Sorry man, but I just don't see it happening. I respect your opinion, but, there's just no way. He might beat Hughes, but he wouldn't "pick him apart." Not like GSP did anyway. His standup isn't near what GSP's is, he only has his overhand right that actually has anything behind it. His strength and athleticism is his advantage. Two to four year from now, he'll be even more dangerous though, and so will GSP. After Kos develops his standup, and, especially, his jj, he'll be a much better all-around fighter, and much more dangerous than now.

Post #13   8/24/07 8:44:27PM