Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Alexander Emelianenko Unlikely Headed to the UFC Soon

Print  
Posted By Message

peachfuzzz1305

Banned

Career:60-35
Chips:
Despite the UFC’s recent influx of heavyweight talent — including Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Fabricio Werdum — one fighter that probably won’t be added to the mix is Alexander Emelianenko, a top-ranked heavyweight and the younger brother of MMA legend Fedor Emelianenko

LINK

Post #1   8/20/07 6:27:57PM   

Telly_152

Learning to Sprawl

Telly_152 Avatar

Career:162-127
Camp: Crazy RB Monkeys
Chips:
he'll go were big bro goes

Post #2   8/20/07 6:33:14PM   

jomatty

In Full Mount

jomatty Avatar

Career:137-79
Camp: bet the rent
Chips:
pretty sure he cant fight in the states considering his arrest record. i like him a lot though so i would be happy if i was wrong about that

Post #3   8/20/07 8:36:51PM   

Pitbull09

MMA Sensei

Pitbull09 Avatar

Career:288-147
Chips:
Im have alrdy been waiting for months to see where Fedor goes so I care way less about this guy and I want to start hereing actuals new other than, "we dont know where hes going"

Post #4   8/20/07 8:41:29PM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
i dont think his arrest matters at all. basically theres this thing where if ur a VIP or something, u can get a permit to fly anywhere around in the world.

Post #5   8/20/07 11:30:49PM   

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Career:596-351
Chips:
Here's something I researched and typed up when it was rumored he was coming last year. (turned out to be Cro Cop) Intreresting that he didn't go to the Fedor/Coleman fight in Vegas, but that was when he was out of Red Devil for a while.

Aleks spent five years in prison for robbery, possibly armed robbery but Aleks wasn't specific

"As for meanings every tattoo has its own location and accordance . I can just say what they denote for those who are unaware. For example, there is a cathedral with five domes on my right hand and each dome denotes one year of imprisonment... The tattoo “Pirate” denotes an article from criminal code concerning robbery."

Source: Interview with Aleks on Fedors' website. http://fedor.bel.ru/index_eng.shtml?id=35

If he was convicted of a felony, he CANNOT get a visa to work in the US. (and since he wasn't at Real Deal to corner Fedor, maybe not even visit)

However, here's where the rumors start. All speculation so take that into account.

- It's rumored that he was a minor when convicted. If that is true, his adult record could be clean. If you look at his career timeline with Sambo and MMA, it's unlikely he was convicted after 18.

- I did some research and found out there is something called an O-1 visa (Google it for a bunch of links on it) for "people with extraordinary talents" It is typically used for artists, actors and athletes. I'm American but I work overseas and through my job I have to deal with the State Dept. sometimes, so I asked the guys I know. Basically if it's someone famous, they should get through.

Although I realize Aleks isn't as famous as a movie star and UFC doesn't have political backing like, say, the olympics, it's always a possibility. They said that the FIRST rule regarding visas is that there are no rules, everything is waiverable, which is the good news.

However one the things US looks at is nationality. Russian mafia is a big problem in the US and the State dept. knows it. Even a whiff of involvement could be troublesome. And there have been wiffs in the past.

BTW, with Putin into MMA, he'd have a diplomatic passport and a visa with the snap of the fingers. They seemed to be chummy after the BoDog show

Last edited 8/21/07 12:02AM server time by manfred
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   8/21/07 12:00:27AM   

sakurabaforever

I'm banned and have no life

Career:34-16
Chips:

Posted by Manfred

BTW, with Putin into MMA, he'd have a diplomatic passport and a visa with the snap of the fingers. They seemed to be chummy after the BoDog show

That's true!

Aleksander would ignite even more fire into the HW division, which is really not that stacked. CC, Nog, AA are really the only bonafide top 10s they have. Couture, GG, and Werdum could be argued, but their definitely not the creme of the crop.

UFC needs to get Fedor, Barnett, Nastula, Kharitonov and then it's all set! HW and LHW would be incredibly stacked.

Post #7   8/21/07 12:52:58AM   

peachfuzzz1305

Banned

Chips:

Posted by sakurabaforever

Posted by Manfred

That's true!

Aleksander would ignite even more fire into the HW division, which is really not that stacked. CC, Nog, AA are really the only bonafide top 10s they have. Couture, GG, and Werdum could be argued, but their definitely not the creme of the crop.

UFC needs to get Fedor, Barnett, Nastula, Kharitonov and then it's all set! HW and LHW would be incredibly stacked.

How is Couture not top 10

And how about Gonzaga

they are both top 10

and Tim Sylvia and Wedum are also top 10

Nastula WTF

That dude has 3 losses to top compotition which means he can not hang with them

And what about Gilbert Yvel

Post #8   8/21/07 1:05:23AM   

jomatty

In Full Mount

jomatty Avatar

Career:137-79
Camp: bet the rent
Chips:
thats good news that there is at least a chance aleks can fight int he us.

and not to do the same thing i did with aleks but i dont think we will see yvel in the ufc anytime soon, first he would have to get licensed and he has proven he is too much of a loose cannon for them to do that.

Post #9   8/21/07 7:27:30AM   

Leland

Standup Guy

Leland Avatar

Career:92-44
Camp: Polk Fight Club
Chips:

Posted by peachfuzzz1305

Posted by Manfred

That's true!

And how about Gonzaga

they are both top 10

Nastula WTF

Post #10   8/21/07 11:39:53AM   

sakurabaforever

Chips:

Posted by peachfuzzz1305

And how about Gonzaga

they are both top 10

Nastula WTF

One top 10 finish should not automatically get you top 10 status, especially when all the other guys have much more then that. i.e. GG or Sok after only beating Nog.

Sylvia has only beaten AA, who he has also lost to. Not top 10.
Couture has only beaten Sylvia at HW in the last 7 years. Currently not top 10.
Werdum has only beaten Aleksander. And Kharitonov beat Werdum by the way. You don't rank Kharitonov in top 10, but rank Werdum

And I said they could be argued for top 10. Learn to read.

Yes, Nastula has losses against THE BEST OF THE BEST. And those were his first fights! Thrown to the wolves, doesn't mean he can't hang not to mention beat, he was just green. The guy is unparalleled in Judo and would give Fedor a run for his money. At least he fought more then 1 top 10 guy (GG/Couture!)

Yvel has too many losses to not top competition not to mention no impressive wins. You might make a case for him to round out top 20..maybe. (And yes I know you were joking).

Post #11   8/21/07 2:32:13PM   

peachfuzzz1305

Banned

Chips:

Posted by peachfuzzz1305

And how about Gonzaga

they are both top 10

Nastula WTF

One top 10 finish should not automatically get you top 10 status, especially when all the other guys have much more then that. i.e. GG or Sok after only beating Nog.

Sylvia has only beaten AA, who he has also lost to. Not top 10.
Couture has only beaten Sylvia at HW in the last 7 years. Currently not top 10.
Werdum has only beaten Aleksander. And Kharitonov beat Werdum by the way. You don't rank Kharitonov in top 10, but rank Werdum

And I said they could be argued for top 10. Learn to read.

Yes, Nastula has losses against THE BEST OF THE BEST. And those were his first fights! Thrown to the wolves, doesn't mean he can't hang not to mention beat, he was just green. The guy is unparalleled in Judo and would give Fedor a run for his money. At least he fought more then 1 top 10 guy (GG/Couture!)

Yvel has too many losses to not top competition not to mention no impressive wins. You might make a case for him to round out top 20..maybe. (And yes I know you were joking).

I can't stand this NUTTHUGGERY

Post #12   8/21/07 4:23:24PM   

sakurabaforever

Chips:
Nice, intelligent rebuttal. Props, you really proved your point.

Post #13   8/22/07 2:32:40AM   

wimdog

Learning to Sprawl

wimdog Avatar

Career:26-19
Camp: Ninjashoes
Chips:

Posted by Pitbull09

Im have alrdy been waiting for months to see where Fedor goes so I care way less about this guy and I want to start hereing actuals news other than, "we dont know where hes going"

Bruce? haha j/k you sound like a friend of mine.

War Emelianenko Bros!

Post #14   8/23/07 3:39:36PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,842-1,052
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Manfred

That's true!

Nastula is great at Judo... but you can't put him top ten for his potential... otherwise where is Rulon Gardner? GG is a BJJ champ, is BJJ not as important as Judo all of a sudden?

And Sylvia is still top ten imo, he beat AA 2/3. Yet everyone ranks AA ahead of him.

Post #15   8/23/07 4:28:42PM