Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

What is next for Wanderlei Silva

Print  
Posted By Message

peachfuzzz1305

Banned

Career:60-35
Chips:
Now that the UFC has officially announced the return of Wanderlei Silva, the next step apparently is scheduling him for his first match back since last fighting for the promotion at UFC 25 in 2000, when he dropped a unanimous decision to Tito Ortiz.

LINK

Post #1   8/19/07 11:51:33PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I would say go with what they said. Cancel Jardine vs Liddell and end the year with a huge ppv Silva vs Liddell. Im sure the UFC can find another main event to headline 76. Move Shogun vs Forrest to main event. Then have Jardine vs James Irvin.

Post #2   8/19/07 11:58:57PM   

three_days_of_grey

MMA Regular

three_days_of_grey Avatar

Career:902-534
Chips:
Cancel the Liddell/Jardine fight? Let me see if I understand this: Liddell should push his first of two Dana White-mandated fights (thanks Twenty for the re-enlightenment) back another three months just to fight Silva in December? I would think that Liddell would be more interested in returning to a title fight asap. A Liddell/Silva fight that was attributed to their being removed from competition for protection from lower ranked fighters and punchers luck would lose ALOT of its luster for me. Dumb article/ridiculous suggestion where the main theme is coddling fighters for the almighty dollar. It's bad enough that GSP/Kos have to wait until Serra/Hughes are done dicking around with TUF to get thier shot.

-OUT-

Last edited 8/20/07 12:40AM server time by three_days_of_grey
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   8/20/07 12:38:43AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Ok apparently you dont know that if Chuck beats Jardine he doesnt get a title shot right away. he has to win another fight. But I guess you didnt know or didnt bother to know.

Post #4   8/20/07 1:10:17AM   

Greene33

MMA Regular

Greene33 Avatar

Career:590-391
Chips:

Posted by three_days_of_grey

Cancel the Liddell/Jardine fight? Let me see if I understand this: Liddell should push his first of two Dana White-mandated fights (thanks Twenty for the re-enlightenment) back another three months just to fight Silva in December? I would think that Liddell would be more interested in returning to a title fight asap. A Liddell/Silva fight that was attributed to their being removed from competition for protection from lower ranked fighters and punchers luck would lose ALOT of its luster for me. Dumb article/ridiculous suggestion where the main theme is coddling fighters for the almighty dollar. It's bad enough that GSP/Kos have to wait until Serra/Hughes are done dicking around with TUF to get thier shot.

-OUT-

Dana White said that Chuck Liddell needs to win twice before getting another title shot, so i would say that at this point i would like to see those two fight asap just because we have been waiting so damn long.. but i am totally with you on the GSP/Hughes rematch, they need to pull back the marketing machine a little and give us the marquee fights quicker...

Post #5   8/20/07 1:13:00AM   

three_days_of_grey

MMA Regular

three_days_of_grey Avatar

Career:902-534
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Ok apparently you dont know that if Chuck beats Jardine he doesnt get a title shot right away. he has to win another fight. But I guess you didnt know or didnt bother to know.

Yes, I realize that. Did you not read that or was "his first of two Dana White-mandated fights" not clear enough?

Post #6   8/20/07 3:25:13AM   

PaleHorse

Standup Guy

PaleHorse Avatar

Career:334-241
Camp: Society of Woden
Chips:
The UFC isn't going to change the fight like that unless there is some sort of injury to one of the fighters. The UFC is a business, and however exciting certain upcoming fights may be, they aren't going to cancel other fights and cut right to the chase. Chuck has to earn his chance for a title shot, just like Rich Franklin did. If it were just a bunch of rematches between Chuck and Rampage, in all odds the UFC would get boring. I wouldn't underestimate Keith Jardine, as powerful a fighter as Chuck Liddel is, after you lose the title it can really mess with your head, look at Andrei Arlovski. People underestimated Jardine when he was fighting Forrest Griffin, and look at how that turned out, Forrest cried like a baby once Jardine was done with him.

Post #7   8/20/07 1:14:28PM   

TOMMYAYO05

MMA Sensei

TOMMYAYO05 Avatar

Career:481-312
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Yeah but you simply cant do that for the fact that that would be to long of a lay off for Liddell,and i would think he would just want to make a another quick fight with silva after jaardine.That 76 pay-per-view is next month too.You cant just make up a main event in a month and only give the guys 3 weeks to train or so.

Post #8   8/20/07 1:21:43PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
I want to see Silva fight a couple medium ranked LHWs before taking on Chuck and/or the title. The guy is taking a year off and needs to slip back into the limelight with ease.

Also with Rampage holding the title, I'm sure Dana is salivating at the lips knowing that either Rampage or Chuck would be a great ppv against Silva.

Post #9   8/20/07 4:11:20PM   

Pyrenus

MMA Regular

Pyrenus Avatar

Career:430-263
Camp: Team World Class
Chips:
Doesn't Tito have 1 fight left on his contract? How about setting up the rematch? I know a lot of Tito haters that would like to see this happen.

Post #10   8/20/07 4:40:29PM   

Ordep

Go Falcons!

Ordep Avatar

Career:1,039-621
Camp: Beat Down System
Chips:
Cancel.... yeah right, thats the easy shot for Dana's baby since he needs 2 wins.

Post #11   8/20/07 7:11:50PM   

KissMyBallz

MMA Regular

KissMyBallz Avatar

Career:7-7
Chips:
Old but he wants Chuck.

He wants Chuck! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9iqBQdFcpA

Last edited 8/20/07 11:49PM server time by Kissmyballz
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #12   8/20/07 11:45:30PM   

sakurabaforever

I'm banned and have no life

Career:34-16
Chips:

Posted by Pyrenus

Doesn't Tito have 1 fight left on his contract? How about setting up the rematch? I know a lot of Tito haters that would like to see this happen.

That would be a good one to establish Silva and give him some exposure to new UFC fans!

Silva would completely annihilate Tito. He's always angry, but can you imagine now...after getting KTFO twice he's gonna bring it with a vengeance and aggression we probably haven't seen from him, I can't wait no matter who he fights.

Post #13   8/21/07 12:58:00AM