Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Rumour: Fedor Emelianenko to Sign with Hero's

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

MMA

Pimpin

MMA Avatar

Career:672-349
Chips:
Rumous have been flying around the internet that Fedor Emelianenko has signed a contract for five fights with the Hero's organisation in Japan, worth an estimated $5,000,000 ($1,000,000 per fight).

Such a signing is indeed possible for Hero's, which is backed by the mighty K-1 organisation - the Worlds largest Mixed Martial Arts events organisers - yes bigger even than the UFC. K-1 typically get 40,000 - 50,000 live spectators at their largest events in Japan, and their events are screened live on terrestrial television to millions of loyal Japanese fans.

Click here for full details.

Post #1   8/17/07 10:46:54PM   

LR

In Full Mount

LR Avatar

Career:638-326
Chips:
Yeah, amazingly, American MMA fans think there is nothing bigger than the UFC. I'm American and I knew the Asian market draw was much larger. If Fedor signs there, look for Barnett, Hunt, etc to follow.

Post #2   8/17/07 10:49:23PM   

gtmercury

Banned

Career:86-60
Chips:
Way to go Dana, you and ur big mouth screwed that up

Post #3   8/17/07 10:51:40PM   

babalu2720

In Full Mount

babalu2720 Avatar

Career:1,245-647
Chips:
Dana goes from zero to hero so quickly...he sign Wandy and a couple of hours later he is hated again...not defending dana, but its just funny how much people flop opinions of him...if HERO'S did sign hin this is a big letdown.

Post #4   8/17/07 11:00:49PM   

gabe531

Standup Guy

gabe531 Avatar

Career:1,238-669
Chips:
lets just hope that this is a marketing plan from his management. what a shame it would be for him not to join the "new" heavyweight division. ante up dana. i also laugh at the shit dana gets, people all over him for getting wand then hate again for this.

Post #5   8/17/07 11:16:13PM   

three_days_of_grey

MMA Regular

three_days_of_grey Avatar

Career:902-534
Chips:
Here is the most important piece to that article:

"Nothing has been confirmed by either Hero's or Fedor Emelianenko's management as of yet, but it seems highly likely that this is a rumour which could be very well founded. Keep your eyes peeled."

Call me skeptical but if I had just signed Fedor, there would be a major press conference immediately following the signing. Is it not impossible that Fedors management started those rumors to see if UFC would concede on some of the contract details? It was also stated by Fedors team that the UFC offered the most lucrative deal.

-OUT-

Post #6   8/17/07 11:21:51PM   

elysianwing

MMA Regular

Career:1,205-789
Camp: Hands Of Fury
Chips:
I'm starting to wonder if this isn't all just one extremely brilliant(or idiotic) marketing ploy.

Dana has done stupid things from time to time...but he has also shown several times over that despite showing stupidity on occasion, he is not stupid.

Obviously he knows who he SHOULD go out and snatch up asap (I mean, even the most casual fans tend to know Fedor = #1, or that Gomi/Hunt/Arona/Wand/Shogun/Hendo/Kang/Lil Nog/etcetcetc should all be acquired)

but he probably figures...."alright, UFC is #1 in mma right now for the first time in ages....and no matter where these guys go, I'll be able to grab them when I want to, so lets make some money."

and instead of signing all of the stars he knows eventually he will sign, he is slow-playing it and milking their individual hype for as long as he can.

if he signed 20 stars, the individual star's hype would get lost amidst the crowd....by signing one or two at a time, he can ultimately get more attention to each star(in theory)

he is probably looking at the hw division and going.." I've got couture(hype machine) with the belt...GG just kicked CC's(top 3 hw) head off, Nog just signed, Kongo is about to fight CC, I picked Vera back up, AA/Sylvia/Werdum are sitting on their asses waiting for their next fights, Fedor can wait a bit for the division to settle..."

Now, in THEORY, that could be a really intelligent thing to do......but it could also be an incredibly stupid thing to do(seeing as how he could've been picked up by k-1....and that could also be bad news for other potential hw pick-ups who will likely follow Fedor wherever he decides to go).

Personally, I wouldn't take that chance...as any company signing Fedor and a few other solid hw's can make for serious competition if done correctly....but Dana tends to be more ballsy in business(takes more risks/gambles) than I would be...

I suppose we'll just have to wait and see if his gamble pays off for the UFC or not.

Post #7   8/17/07 11:29:57PM   

Branwest

Standup Guy

Branwest Avatar

Career:224-109
Camp: X-treme Fighting Systems
Chips:
For one, they might be playing one org off the other. Remember, this is just a rumour, although definately within the realm of possiblity.
I respect Fedor immensily and he's my #1 rated HW bar none, but if he inks this deal, I will lose respect for him.
The UFC is offerring a more lucrative deal, he'll have to travel less (with events now being help in Europe, and maybe sometime in the future, in Russia) and I'm sure they'll accomodate his Combat Sambo request, and there is much better and more legitimate competition in which to further cement his legacy as the best HW in mma history. This is a no-brainer to me, but whatever he does, I hope it makes him happy.
However, with this said, I will lost some respect for him. After following Fedor the majority of his career, I find it hard to believe that he's afraid he'll lose if he comes to the UFC. And eventually, he probably will, but he'll more than likely avenge that loss and still be the most dominant HW champion.
Whatever happens, I just sick of beating this poor old dead horse day after day.

Post #8   8/17/07 11:46:51PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
of course its bigger than UFC because theres more asians
well the UFC is still here if fedor wants to fight in it.

Post #9   8/18/07 12:03:54AM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Career:212-114
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:
If Fedor does sign for K-1 he will not be able to fight in the UFC. Dana is an exclusivity whore.

Post #10   8/18/07 12:10:20AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
This would be a huge signing, it would also change the landscape of the mma world. Most likely Barnett, Hunt, aleks, and every other notable HW on the market would sign there, if they got soko, arona, and the rest of the availible LHW's they would be a power. If Mirko decides he wants to fight like he can, he will not resign with the UFC when he's the champ he'll be heading to K-1 because as we all know he wants to fight fedor biiig time. Then you have sylvia who's fallen out of favour with the ufc and it's fans. I can see K-1 turning into PRIDE. I for one would be happy, this way theres not a monopoly and the UFC can't lowball fighters because there the only game in town.

Post #11   8/18/07 12:12:20AM   

kerazzle

MMA Regular

kerazzle Avatar

Career:349-189
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
there are compelling matchups for him in K-1.....Barnett, Lesnar, Kharitonov, hell maybe even Sokoudjou if he signs with them

Post #12   8/18/07 12:13:47AM   

bls1919

Banned From Forums

bls1919 Avatar

Career:308-183
Chips:
I for one hope this is just a rumor but only time wil tell. i love watching fedor fight. I mean he backed mirko down like a little punk and that is no easy task

Post #13   8/18/07 12:19:18AM   

pharside

MMA Regular

pharside Avatar

Career:346-216
Chips:
I'm so sick of hearing about Fedor he hasn't fought a top hw in what 2 years now? if he goes anywhere other than the UFC it will another bitch move by him and his team.

Post #14   8/18/07 12:56:19AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
Fedor has nothing to prove man. He's already beaten pretty much anyone who is anyone in the HW div. He wasn't protected, he wasn't fighting a certain type of fighter(like everyones hero chuck), he fought the best strikers, the best JJ guys, best wrestlers, best everything and won. He's the best and K-1 would get him some great fighters to fight, the UFC isn't the be all and end all for everyone, i'm expecting the lower weights to be far better then the UFC's, and most if not all the pride japanese fighters will sign with K-1.

Post #15   8/18/07 2:27:58AM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3