Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Arlovski Interview - "I don't think Fedor is UNbeatable"

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Cobbs666

Standup Guy

Cobbs666 Avatar

Career:1,063-740
Camp: *TeaM SaTaN*
Chips:
I got a chance to speak with former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei "Pitbull" Arlovski. Andrei Arlovski is ranked, by many around the world, as one of the top 10 MMA heavyweights in the world. Arlovski holds notable wins over a who's who of fighters, which include: former UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia, Ian Freeman, PRIDE veteran Fabricio Werdum, heavy hitter Paul Buentello, Vladimir Matyushenko and many others. Arlovski is best known for his incredible striking abilities, mobility on the feet, Sambo skills, dangerous submissions and even his unique mouthpiece, which contains two fangs, an accurate portrayal of his nickname, the "Pit Bull."

Link

Post #1   8/16/07 11:06:11PM   

kevietre

Belt Contender

kevietre Avatar

Career:666-469
Chips:
People seem to forget that fighters didnt want to fight Arlovski at one point. Sure he had the losses to Tim and looked unimpressive over Werdum but he has improved drastically over the years and will be focused and prepared next time he fights.

Post #2   8/16/07 11:12:50PM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,838-1,149
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I would love to see the Pitbull take on Fedor what a fight

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #3   8/16/07 11:21:53PM   

Pitbull09

MMA Sensei

Pitbull09 Avatar

Career:288-147
Chips:
AA is way too underestimated. Hes got crazy strength and striking power. He would have good chance against fedor just by his striking for a Ko

Post #4   8/16/07 11:25:05PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
No one is unbeatable. Dana just messed up promising andrei a title shot if he won the fight. should have told him, andrei would have let it all hang out

Post #5   8/16/07 11:46:30PM   

peachfuzzz1305

Banned

Career:60-35
Chips:
DUDE Andrei tried 2 let it all hang out but it is hard 2 TKO Someone when they R Backin Up

Post #6   8/17/07 12:04:39AM   

kerazzle

MMA Regular

kerazzle Avatar

Career:349-189
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
Andrei is a good guy whom I always look forward to seeing in the ring. As far as his comments regarding Fedor, they are absolutely correct, I mean, nobody is unbeatable, to say that is just ridiculous. Fedor is very skilled and comes well prepared.

Post #7   8/17/07 12:16:41AM   

elysianwing

MMA Regular

Career:1,205-789
Camp: Hands Of Fury
Chips:

Posted by kevietre

People seem to forget that fighters didnt want to fight Arlovski at one point. Sure he had the losses to Tim and looked unimpressive over Werdum but he has improved drastically over the years and will be focused and prepared next time he fights.

They also like to forget he punched De Pano's face out the back of his head....with one of the sickest shots I've ever seen connect(putting aside he was almost lying on his back when he did it).

put him in the right fights and he'll look impressive, put him in a fight with tim(who was tenative and "safe") and he won't, put him in a fight with werdum(who never engages him) and he won't.....

I mean he's had two "unimpressive" fights.....but there were 2 other fighters(one of whom had a STRING of boring ass fights) involved IN those fights, and anyone who thinks that fact doesn't have any bearing on whether AA is impressive or not, needs to find a new sport(because mma is clearly not the right fit for them)

Post #8   8/17/07 2:22:20AM   

jomatty

In Full Mount

jomatty Avatar

Career:137-79
Camp: bet the rent
Chips:
any win over werdum is an impressive win in my book.

Post #9   8/17/07 4:44:32AM   

thepunisher

In Full Mount

thepunisher Avatar

Career:338-213
Camp: MMA Weekly
Chips:
I don't think Fedor is unbeatable either, but on the other hand i don't think AA can beat Fedor. AA striking is not as good as Fedor IMO and he 100% guaranteed isn't as good as Fedor in sambo, so i don't see how AA could beat him. Unless he goes back to the wolfman with the hairy back and chest, then fedor could only beat him with a silver bullet

Post #10   8/17/07 8:54:28AM   

bayonetxwork

In Full Mount

bayonetxwork Avatar

Career:114-60
Camp: TUFFS Fight Club
Chips:
I'm definitely not a Fedor nuthugger, but I don't think Arlovski has as much of a chance as someone like Couture, or someone like him. I think the only way Fedor will lose is if he's held on his back, and loses the position battles.

Maybe Kos should come up to LnP

Post #11   8/17/07 9:09:10AM   

LR

In Full Mount

LR Avatar

Career:638-326
Chips:
I don't think Fedor is unbeatable either, but I don't think anyone currently in the HW division in UFC can beat him. Big Nog got destroyed, and I don't see how he'd even remotely be able to stop Fedor a second time. Crocop relies on range to kick, and Fedor eliminated that in their first fight. Arlovski seemingly looks to slow with his punches to catch Fedor. I mean, he packs a huge punch, but so does Fujita, hell, Fujita packs a tremendous punch and he caught Fedor straight in the chin and rocked him, and he still got beat. I just don't see someone with Arlovski's standup game beating Fedor. Fedor would most likely shoot AA into guard and use his MUCH superior Sambo on Arlovski.

I'm tired of hearing about AA speculation. Get him in the damn Octagon so we can evaluate whether or not the Werdum fight was just a fluke or if he has become this ultra cautious fighter now. Ultra cautious will make someone basically get smoked by a more aggressive fighter as some point.

Post #12   8/17/07 9:24:45AM   

silverbullet

Shrimpin' ain't easy

Career:144-82
Chips:

Posted by bayonetxwork

I'm definitely not a Fedor nuthugger, but I don't think Arlovski has as much of a chance as someone like Couture, or someone like him. I think the only way Fedor will lose is if he's held on his back, and loses the position battles.

The only reason why Fedor is undefeated is because he has only a handful of fights behind his belt. Granted that he fought the best names in the game, he still has a grand total of what, 26 fights in MMA?! MMA is such a young sport that fighters rarely have more than 30-40 fights over their career. Things happen, people get lucky punches, people get cut, it's a violent sport. Fedor will lose, no doubt about that.

I know that I will catch alot of flack for this, but at the end of the day, what is all this hype about Randy? Liddell manhandled him twice, and Liddell isn't even a heavy weight!!! Yes Randy got extremely lucky with the Tim Sylvia fight. He was able to secure a shot at the belt right when Sylvia ran out of opponents and a couple of months before Pride went belly up and all the new talent poured in. Randy did manhandle Sylvia (who had a screwed up back) but couldn't submit him, or knock him out.

AA would beat the hell out of Couture, as would many other guys. I do not think that Couture stands any chance against Fedor. AA does stand a chance against Fedor if he trains right and fights a smart fight. Can't wait to see AA in action.

Post #13   8/17/07 9:46:25AM   

bayonetxwork

In Full Mount

bayonetxwork Avatar

Career:114-60
Camp: TUFFS Fight Club
Chips:

Posted by silverbullet

Posted by bayonetxwork

The only reason why Fedor is undefeated is because he has only a handful of fights behind his belt. Granted that he fought the best names in the game, he still has a grand total of what, 26 fights in MMA?! MMA is such a young sport that fighters rarely have more than 30-40 fights over their career. Things happen, people get lucky punches, people get cut, it's a violent sport. Fedor will lose, no doubt about that.

I know that I will catch alot of flack for this, but at the end of the day, what is all this hype about Randy? Liddell manhandled him twice, and Liddell isn't even a heavy weight!!! Yes Randy got extremely lucky with the Tim Sylvia fight. He was able to secure a shot at the belt right when Sylvia ran out of opponents and a couple of months before Pride went belly up and all the new talent poured in. Randy did manhandle Sylvia (who had a screwed up back) but couldn't submit him, or knock him out.

AA would beat the hell out of Couture, as would many other guys. I do not think that Couture stands any chance against Fedor. AA does stand a chance against Fedor if he trains right and fights a smart fight. Can't wait to see AA in action.

LMAO, are you joking? First off, I definitely don't think Fedor is unbeatable, I'm usually the guy giving the underdog more of a chance because their opponents are usually overrated, and it is inevitable that he will lose, and most likely in the octagon. Have you ever heard that styles make fights? Just because Couture couldn't beat AA doesn't mean that AA has any better of a chance against a completely different fighter in Fedor, than Couture. Liddell has a style that not very many people can adjust to, and that doesn't mean anything when he isn't in the picture. Once again styles make fights, and just because Couture get KTFO by Liddell means nothing when put into perspective with Fedor.

Post #14   8/17/07 11:01:08AM   

LR

In Full Mount

LR Avatar

Career:638-326
Chips:
Honestly, Couture has a very good head about strategy. He always sticks to his gameplan, and he has very goo defensive wrestling with some very good offensive wrestling in his game as well. But Couture hasn't ran into world class ground guys as of late. Gonzaga will be a test and show us if he can create a game plan that will neutralize Gonzaga's ground game. But matching Couture up against someone like Fedor. I don't see Couture neutralizing it at all.

The main point people miss about Fedor is nobody has really ever dominated him on the ground. Arona did a decent job, Sobral did ok, and Mark Hunt, of all people, actually did ok, but not anything significant. Fedor's ground game has always been 8 levels above the competition. I've only seen him side controlled maybe 3-4 times, and he's lifted out of the guard and into a reversal in about 10-15 seconds afterwards. Wrestling is NOT a good game to try on someone with his submission skills. Ask Matt Lindland. He has zero idea how Fedor even submitted him, and we are talking about days after the fight, and weeks after he'd analyzed the video, he was still unable to figure it out.

Post #15   8/17/07 11:45:50AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2