Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Who is next for Silva? (other than Franklin)

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

SpiderSilva

Living legend

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:2,303-1,485
Chips:
bring in Kang I would see that fight going long
Hendo would be a great fight but I can deff see Hendo losing again to another Brazilian

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Ad: FanDuel: Daily Fantasy Football, MLB, NBA, NHL Leagues for cash | FanDuel

Post #16   8/14/07 3:34:49AM   

matthughes23

MMA Regular

matthughes23 Avatar

Career:373-223
Chips:
If silva beats (and he probably will) franklin again, i dunno who the UFC has at the moment that could matchup with Silva. The idea of bringing in Kang would be great but the UFC have not approached him (as far as we know). i dont think henderson will fite silva with him fighting rampage. So, the title contendership after franklin is pretty much in limbo

Post #17   8/14/07 5:03:36AM   

Masacre10

Learning to Sprawl

Career:98-70
Camp: Team Masacre
Chips:
franklin will smash him in their 2nd fight 1st round

Post #18   8/14/07 11:36:51PM   

Believe-in-judo81

Standup Guy

Believe-in-judo81 Avatar

Career:288-153
Chips:
The three options that seem most likely to me are:
1.Terry Martin- Since dropping to MW, he's been on a tear and though I still think he's a bit green for a title shot and is still developing as a fighter, he's definitely earned one if he continues to perform well and win fights.
2. Drew Mcfedries- Heavy handed exciting brawler who has also been winning fights and seems bound for a title shot if he continues to look solid. I personally think Anderson would pick him apart but he definitely has K.O. power in his hands and would be a very game opponent.
3. Martin Kampmann- Was Supposed to fight Frankin for a title shot at UFC 72, but was forced off the card by injury, assuming he comes back healthy and ready to fight soon, one or two wins against good opponents should put him in line for a shot. He's a good technical striker, but he's not quite on Silva's level and is giving up the power and reach advantage. Seems to be a fairly slick grappler but silva has looked quite good on the ground of late.

A lot of people are expecting Dan Henderson to drop and while I won't believe that until I see it, it would be the most intriguing/ Competitive match-up the UFC can currently produce in the division. As usual, we just have to wait and see what Joe Silva pulls out of the hat next after Rich.

Last edited 8/15/07 10:15AM server time by Believe-in-judo81
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #19   8/15/07 3:03:03AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:2,573-1,539
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by Believe-in-judo81

The three options that seem most likely to me are:
1.Tyson Griffin- Since dropping to MW, he's been on a tear and though I still think he's a bit green for a title shot and is still developing as a fighter, he's definitely earned one if he continues to perform well and win fights.
2. Drew Mcfedries- Heavy handed exciting brawler who has also been winning fights and seems bound for a title shot if he continues to look solid. I personally think Anderson would pick him apart but he definitely has K.O. power in his hands and would be a very game opponent.
3. Martin Kampmann- Was Supposed to fight Frankin for a title shot at UFC 72, but was forced off the card by injury, assuming he comes back healthy and ready to fight soon, one or two wins against good opponents should put him in line for a shot. He's a good technical striker, but he's not quite on Silva's level and is giving up the power and reach advantage. Seems to be a fairly slick grappler but silva has looked quite good on the ground of late.

A lot of people are expecting Dan Henderson to drop and while I won't believe that until I see it, it would be the most intriguing/ Competitive match-up the UFC can currently produce in the division. As usual, we just have to wait and see what Joe Silva pulls out of the hat next after Rich.

Tyson griffin? I think you mean Terry Martin maybe bro?

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #20   8/15/07 4:02:56AM   

Believe-in-judo81

Standup Guy

Believe-in-judo81 Avatar

Career:288-153
Chips:
Yeah, I meant Terry! *Smacks forehead* Thanks for catching that Hippy, fixed now.

Post #21   8/15/07 10:17:16AM   

BigEvil

Standup Guy

BigEvil Avatar

Career:342-204
Camp: SC MMA
Chips:
I would love to see Terry Martin after he knocks the snot out of Leben get a shot although your right it does seem a little early for him. While Hendo would be good I read somewhere that he wants to stay at LHW win or loose to Rampage. I like the idea of Okami vs. McDonald winner fights Terry Martin for title shot, the only thing is this puts Anderson on the shelf for awhile and he seems to be hitting his stride, i'm sure he wants another fight sooner than that. hmmm tough and good question.

Post #22   8/15/07 11:56:41AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:3,115-1,776
Chips:
really tough question given that there isnt a ton of championship caliber depth in the MW division. to me if martin gets by leben hes the guy. he has that swagger that cant be taught and dynamite in his hands, so you know he would trade with silva. that might be a mistake, but it would be one hell of a fun fight to watch whether it went 25 seconds or 25 minutes.

Post #23   8/15/07 12:03:46PM   

LR

In Full Mount

LR Avatar

Career:638-326
Chips:
Terry Martin is going to have a tough time with ANYBODY who counter punches. He really goes for it, which is great for the fans, but for his MMA game, he needs a prayer to continue beating opponents to the punch, literally. Being flat out crazy aggressive and punching is going to get you caught and to be honest, Silva's style plays against that perfectly. Martin also needs to show some type of ground game defense if he gets taken down, but I doubt that'd be a huge factor in a Silva matchup.

Post #24   8/15/07 4:47:16PM   

Cladrix

Standup Guy

Cladrix Avatar

Career:538-332
Chips:
After Silva beats Franklin (in which he probably will)...... The only one I see putting up a good fight against Silva is Okami.

Heres a question.....

What if somebody like Matt Hughes or GSP move up to Middleweight?

I think both of these guys will put up a good fight......... but out of the both I think GSP can actually beat Silva........

I know Hughes and GSP will probably never move up in weight class but its a thought.

Post #25   8/16/07 12:58:11PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:3,115-1,776
Chips:
GSP has talked about it before, but unless he runs through the very talent WW division without losing for a couple years i dont see it happening

Ad: FanDuel: Daily Fantasy Football, MLB, NBA, NHL Leagues for cash | FanDuel

Post #26   8/16/07 1:31:44PM   

johny_rotten

Standup Guy

johny_rotten Avatar

Career:125-71
Camp: 518 Death Squad
Chips:
There is no compelling match up for Anderson that is currently at 185lbs in the UFC. In the whole MMA world there is 3-4 good match ups like Lindland, Henderson, and Kang. I don't think Paulo is an option due to their friendship.

I think Martin is the only match up that the UFC can sell, but it won't be fight.

Post #27   8/16/07 2:04:24PM   

crocop901

Learning to Sprawl

crocop901 Avatar

Career:338-184
Chips:

Posted by kaduey

I think Henderson is going to lose to Rampage and then fight Silva for the middleweight title.

i disagree henderson will KO Rampage in the second round. henderson's striking is better, and his wrestling is better. the only way he wont beat him is if he gets slammed and also hendersons heart is better

Post #28   8/16/07 6:01:43PM   

billycarnage

In Full Mount

billycarnage Avatar

Career:300-165
Chips:
Denis Kang for sure I can't wait to see him in the UFC. He is definately a top contender. And Hendo of course.

Post #29   8/16/07 7:47:14PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
Does any body else notice that Silva is fighting a lot for someone that is champion of the (or second) weakest division in the UFC? I think Dana wants him out of there bad.

Post #30   8/22/07 4:02:52PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3