Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Who is next for Silva? (other than Franklin)

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

pinoymixplaya

MMA Regular

pinoymixplaya Avatar

Career:296-200
Chips:
Who else in the UFC actually poses a threat to Anderson? I mean I know he is going to fight Franklin soon, but I believe he will be able to beat him again. His "two" title defenses were from guys who specialized in what he was supposed to be bad at.....right? I guess if the UFC signs on somebody else then possibly, but who? Paulo Filho didn't look the greatest against Doerksen and Dan Henderson may stay at LHW, but if he comes down to MW, will he be a threat? hmm.....

Post #1   8/13/07 9:51:39PM   

MoJoy

Banned again

Career:93-38
Chips:
When you ask this, I wonder what your time frame is. As for right after Rich, I see Yushin Okami in early 2008, for the rest of the year if Martin Kampman and Terry Martin are going well I see one of them getting a title shot. And if Anderson is still top dog, as I think he will be I can see some fights with some LHW's like Shogun,Liddell,Ortiz. Also I think Henderson would fight him, or Filho be in the UFC, and Kendall Grove will make his way for a belt fight.

Post #2   8/13/07 10:01:06PM   

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:
i think yushin okami will be the next one up for the belt if he beats jason macdonald, also we might see new middleweights come in, denis kang would be a great addition, but as time goes on we might see rising stars, and questions will be answered.....

Last edited 8/13/07 10:37PM server time by juanez13
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   8/13/07 10:07:53PM   

kaduey

In Full Mount

kaduey Avatar

Career:1,537-829
Chips:
I think Henderson is going to lose to Rampage and then fight Silva for the middleweight title.

Post #4   8/13/07 10:16:27PM   

fullerene

MMA Sensei

fullerene Avatar

Career:1,454-890
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:
I think you guys are on target with Okami and Kampmann. The real intriguing fights are, unfortunately, with guys in other divisions/weight classes now. I don't see them bringing over Shamrock or LIndland, but maybe if Hendo loses at 205 he'll get a shot. Filho being in the WEC (which is owned by the UFC) tells me that he's on the path to a title shot if he keeps winning but also that they expect that to be a long way away.

Post #5   8/13/07 10:18:15PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Winner of Macdonald vs Okami

Post #6   8/13/07 10:29:14PM   

pinoymixplaya

MMA Regular

pinoymixplaya Avatar

Career:296-200
Chips:
Yeah, maybe Okami, but he didn't really show he deserved a title fight, maybe in this next fight, but he seems to be WAY too cautious, although the fire was lit in him in the 3rd round against Franklin, which is how he should fight throughout the match, but will he?

Maybe Kendall Grove will show his worth seeing as how he has shown worth through his series of wins, but still needs some growing. He is young and we will probably see him get better and fight some contenders in the future...

Martin Kampmann would seem like a good choice, as he was impressive against McFedries and I would like to see him get past his injury and jump into the Octagon sometime soon

Terry Martin would be nice to see after some good fights against some great fighters, like Franklin possibly, Okami, Herman, or even Grove....

Denis Kang would be cool too or even Matt Lindland, if they will take him back...

Post #7   8/13/07 10:35:14PM   

Meodread

Learning to Sprawl

Meodread Avatar

Career:1,720-1,005
Camp: Team Cerberus
Chips:
Henderson if he loses to rampage would make sense

Post #8   8/13/07 10:59:56PM   

peachfuzzz1305

Banned

Career:60-35
Chips:
Terry Martin Or Yushin Okami.

Post #9   8/13/07 11:00:59PM   

Btews22

MMA Regular

Btews22 Avatar

Career:190-116
Camp: Oregon Top Team
Chips:
HENDO is the best middle weight in the world!!!!!!

Post #10   8/13/07 11:10:08PM   

AmericanFighterAce

Banned

Career:990-702
Camp: Pure Adrenaline Radio
Chips:
when healthy, the only guy that I believe that can outstrike Anderson Silva, Drew McFedries could be up after a win whenever that might be.

Terry Martin, if he beats... when he beats Leben he should have to fight the winner of Yushin/MacDonald.

Then after that should prove the true number 1 contender. Also, if Kendall Grove wins, you could see his name get shot up the list for possible canidates for the belt.

So here is the list of people that have a chance to get a shot.
Thales Leities
Martin Kampmann (when healthy)
Terry Martin
Kendall Grove
Drew McFedries
Jason MacDonald
Yushin Okami
Dan Henderson (eh maybe?)
Nate Marquardt (after some wins)
Nate Quarry (maybe after a couple of wins)

But thats all I can think of.

Last edited 8/13/07 11:14PM server time by AmericanFighterAce
2 total post edits

Post #11   8/13/07 11:13:38PM   

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:

that really shows how weak the UFC's middle weight division

Last edited 8/13/07 11:18PM server time by juanez13

Post #12   8/13/07 11:18:11PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,902-1,070
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by kaduey

I think Henderson is going to lose to Rampage and then fight Silva for the
middleweight title.

I'm actually picking Hendo, but I think the fight's a legitamate tossup. However, If Hendo does in fact lose, then I agree he will move down to 185. i also think if he does he will defeat Silva. Other than that possible scenario, I don't see anyone at 185 who is currently desrerving of a title shot. Since I think Silva will beat Franklin again, this is something of a quandary

Marquardt- just had one, and Got Koed in the first. So at least 2 victories away
Okami- just lost to Franklin and will probably have to win 2 fight's , at least one against a possible contender to get there. Still, i agree he is the most likely currently in the UFC to get one. Plus they could sell the victory over Silva( although by DQ) angle
Martin- Will need to beat one of the guys on this list ,and beat Leben to get one.
Grove- Has to beat Cote first ( which I think he will) , but that would still be his most impressive victory . I don't know anyone who thinks Cote's even top 20. so he would also need to beat someone on this list. I think if he fought Okami he would get taken down and kept there for 3 rounds at this stage of his career.
Mcfedries- has staph and would need to also beat 2 guys on the list, plus he has a loss to Kampmann. Fun fighter to watch, and can hold his own on his feet with any of the other potential contenders, but I think all would just try to take him to the ground and sub him. So unless he really improves either his take down defense , or his skill on the ground, I think he's the least likely to get near a title shot.
Kampmman- Was hurt last I heard . ,and is not scheduled to fight yet. Would need an impressive victory over one other guy on this list. I don't think he's strong enough to hang with Okami, or long enough to hang with Grove.Needs to move down to 170 IMO.
Tanner- just coming back to fighting after a long layoff, and we currently have no idea how he will look.Would also need 2 victories against guys on this list.
Not in the UFC
Filho- after he beats the winner of Riggs/Mayhem they could do a UFC/WEC "unification " bout
Kang- probably not going to the UFC last I've heard. Would be a great fiogt though.
Lindland- Could come back and is also a bad style match up for Silva. A liitle notch below Hendo IMO though.

By the way, to the thread starter. This is a really good question .

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #13   8/14/07 1:46:58AM   

kimoron

MMA Regular

kimoron Avatar

Career:687-420
Chips:
it think a loss to rampage would set up another unification fight were hendo squares off against silva. other then that no one really deserves a title shot. maybe okami but i think he needs a big decisive win to be in the title picture

Post #14   8/14/07 2:42:50AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
Hendo, they'll get another champ vs. champ and it will be HUUUGE if hendo beats rampage. There are so many good fights that can happen. WOO

Post #15   8/14/07 2:46:06AM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3