Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Up-and-Coming Fighters – Top 10 to Watch

Print  
Posted By Message

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
If you’re a fight fan, it’s like being a kid in a candy store. A candy store where people get kicked in the face.

LINK

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #1   8/12/07 6:42:44PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
i agree with those fighters, only one im concerned about is rashad. Cant wait to see them fight.

Post #2   8/12/07 6:55:12PM   

DevMahon

MMA Regular

DevMahon Avatar

Career:779-401
Chips:
Some of those don't make any sense at all. If Shogun is the #1 LHW (as stated in the article), then how is he an "up-and-comer?" Wouldn't that make him an established fighter with a good amount of experience against top fighters?

Their rankings seem to be all over the place. I mean, Frank Edgar and Thiago Tavares are starting to make waves in the UFC after going undefeated in smaller orgs, so I can see how they are up-and-comers, but Josh Koscheck is fighting for the #1 WW contendership in less than a month and is generally considered a top ten (sometimes top five) fighter (though a really boring one).

I think that this is an interesting idea for an article, and I also think that they're right on the money with some of these guys, but I think this article is hindered by a lack of focus as well as a problem with the definition of what "up-and-coming" means.

Post #3   8/12/07 6:57:30PM   

Ordep

Go Falcons!

Ordep Avatar

Career:1,039-621
Camp: Beat Down System
Chips:

Posted by DevMahon

Some of those don't make any sense at all. If Shogun is the #1 LHW (as stated in the article), then how is he an "up-and-comer?" Wouldn't that make him an established fighter with a good amount of experience against top fighters?

Their rankings seem to be all over the place. I mean, Frank Edgar and Thiago Tavares are starting to make waves in the UFC after going undefeated in smaller orgs, so I can see how they are up-and-comers, but Josh Koscheck is fighting for the #1 WW contendership in less than a month and is generally considered a top ten (sometimes top five) fighter (though a really boring one).

I think that this is an interesting idea for an article, and I also think that they're right on the money with some of these guys, but I think this article is hindered by a lack of focus as well as a problem with the definition of what "up-and-coming" means.

I think what they're doing is based on the time that those fighters have left in the sport since they're relatively young. Shogun's there because he's 25.

Post #4   8/12/07 7:27:38PM   

SpiderSilva

Reminder: steelers suck!!!

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,860-1,161
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
WTF I thought it would b fighters that we havent seen in the UFC or any top Org in the world

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #5   8/12/07 9:30:25PM   

wilwith1l

MMA Regular

wilwith1l Avatar

Career:23-10
Chips:
Yea, I think I have heard of that Shogun guy before...

Post #6   8/12/07 10:36:05PM   

Branwest

Standup Guy

Branwest Avatar

Career:224-109
Camp: X-treme Fighting Systems
Chips:
What is this, an up-and-comer list for ppl who know nothing about MMA?
I was expecting a couple of fighters that maybe I haven't heard of, maybe in some discreet/smaller org's.
As far as the post right above this, Shogun? Who's that? I know a guy named Maricio Rua who would crush this Shogun fella.

Post #7   8/13/07 8:46:47AM   

McBee

In Full Mount

McBee Avatar

Career:815-456
Chips:
*******************Note to MMAPlayground Admin***************************
PLease block all threads linking to mmapassport, two exhibits for you:

1. 5 best training centers article mentioning nothing about Miletich or Quest and saying that Ken was head master at Frank Shamrock's school.......idiots

2. Saying up and coming fighters and listing off
-Shogun(GP champ)
-Koscheck(top contender), Fitch(6 UFC wins)
-Soko(beat two of the top flight opponents)
-Nakamura(beat Bustamante, Randleman, and Kondo and all 17 fights in Pride)
-Huerta(on the cover of Sport Illustrated)
.....................IDIOTS!!
this cannot be logically up and coming, thiese are established contenders and top flight opponents. It cannot also be for casual MMA watchers because how in the hell are they going to get to some crappy backwater site like mmapassport(sounds like a crappy highschool class) MORE LIKE LESS THAN CASUAL MMA WATCHERS WRITE AND RUN THE SITE .

Post #8   8/13/07 9:58:45AM   

DangerMouse666

Learning to Sprawl

DangerMouse666 Avatar

Career:340-244
Chips:
I'm not so sure about Kos or Rashad

Post #9   8/13/07 7:49:44PM   

TOMMYAYO05

MMA Sensei

TOMMYAYO05 Avatar

Career:481-312
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
Is Shogun really up and coming??i thought he has proved himself enough to be a veteran..My list of these guys in order are
1)Mauricio"Shogun"Rua(Dominate and i would say not up and coming anymore)
2)Josh"Kos"Koscheck(IMO the future welterweight champ)
3)Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou(Ausome standup and in my top ten of lhw already)
4)Rashad Evans(Good striking and a great wresler also in my top ten)
5)Jon Fitch(Good standup not yet breaking my top ten yet though)
6)Kendall Grove(Good standup and is working with Tito Ortiz)
7)Thiago TavaresYoung and upcoming star)
8)Frank Edgar(I really enjoyed his last victory and this guy is a stud)
9)Roger Huerta(Extremely overrated imo but pretty good none the less)
10)Kazuhiro Nakamura(Not up and coming any more imo,decent)

Post #10   8/14/07 1:23:37AM   

mictlantechutli

MMA Regular

mictlantechutli Avatar

Career:660-408
Chips:
*******************Note to MMAPlayground Admin***************************
PLease block all threads linking to mmapassport, two exhibits for you:

1. 5 best training centers article mentioning nothing about Miletich or Quest and saying that Ken was head master at Frank Shamrock's school.......idiots

2. Saying up and coming fighters and listing off
-Shogun(GP champ)
-Koscheck(top contender), Fitch(6 UFC wins)
-Soko(beat two of the top flight opponents)
-Nakamura(beat Bustamante, Randleman, and Kondo and all 17 fights in Pride)
-Huerta(on the cover of Sport Illustrated)
.....................IDIOTS!!
this cannot be logically up and coming, thiese are established contenders and top flight opponents. It cannot also be for casual MMA watchers because how in the hell are they going to get to some crappy backwater site like mmapassport(sounds like a crappy highschool class) MORE LIKE LESS THAN CASUAL MMA WATCHERS WRITE AND RUN THE SITE .

Agreed. Whoever is running this site doesn't have a clue, and reading their articles is like banging my head against a wall. No more links to this crappy site please.

Last edited 8/14/07 10:11PM server time by mictlantechutli
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #11   8/14/07 10:10:17PM