Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

411 MMA Fact or Fiction

Print  
Posted By Message

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
Does Fedor Emelianenko really need to "prove himself" in the UFC? Is WEC Middleweight Champion Paulo Filho better than UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva?

LINK

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #1   8/12/07 6:38:25PM   

Branwest

Standup Guy

Branwest Avatar

Career:224-109
Camp: X-treme Fighting Systems
Chips:
He doesn't HAVE to prove himself. He dominated the HW's in Pride, in a time when, in my opinion, it was the best MMA org in the world. However, to continue to be considered the #1 HW mma fighter in the world, he needs to continue to fight against top-notch competition, therefore, needs to come to the UFC.
He's already proven how dominate of a fighter he is. I would just love to see him fight some new competitors in the UFC such as Couture, Gonzage, AA, Sylvia, and even fighters he's fought before (CroCop, Big Nog, etc.). I think he'll sign w/the UFC and either fight in December or early '08.

Post #2   8/13/07 10:01:32AM   

jomatty

In Full Mount

jomatty Avatar

Career:137-79
Camp: bet the rent
Chips:
he doesnt have to do anything for a while to continue to be considered teh p4p best. we need to remember that our focus is on what americans think and that his focus is what russians think. thats why the combat sambo is such a sticking point. eventually however he will have to show everyone that he is still the best if he continues to not take on the number one contenders (do not read anything into that or think for a second that he is not willing to face anyone if the terms are right)

Post #3   8/13/07 11:01:50AM   

sammyd1213

MMA Regular

sammyd1213 Avatar

Career:116-82
Chips:
Fedor is the man... Whos gonna beat him in the UFC???...... NOBODY!!!!

Post #4   8/13/07 3:00:53PM   

Branwest

Standup Guy

Branwest Avatar

Chips:
Is anyone else sick of talking about where Fedor will end up? I'm sick of WAITING to find out if he's going to fight first-, or second-rate fighters. Either the UFC (first-rate), or any other org (second-rate, with maybe one or two decent fighters to throw at him).
In the UFC, he'd compete against REAL competition consistently. He won't have any fights against some can that's only fighting him because that org doesn't have anybody else to put in front of him.
Hey Dana, Fedor, get something done already and quit holding us fans hostage!!
Look, I'll watch his fights no matter where he ends up, but come on, what's the point of going anywhere besides the UFC? They've offered a more lucrative deal, have better competition, will have events in Europe and maybe, eventually, even Russia (which will cut down on his travel), and a better forum to cement his legacy. Dana needs to let him continue to fight in Combat SAMBO, and have a penalty clause if it interferes with his scheduled fights in the UFC. Other than that, I don't see what the holdup is.
On behalf of all MMA fans who want to see the best possible fights, PLEASE come to an agreement that satisfies both parties, the UFC and Fedor.

Post #5   8/14/07 11:10:30AM   

fatdevil1982

MMA Regular

fatdevil1982 Avatar

Career:637-417
Camp: WNYMMA
Chips:
i personaly think he does need to prove to people that he lives up to his hype

if you look at his win/loss record the numbers look great 26-1-1

but when you look at the record in detail it is not that impressive,

matt lindland- matt gained tons of weight for that fight and his rope grab my have given him a momentary edge

mark hunt- any good grappling heavyweight could beet him

mark coleman- way below top tier level fighter (at that time)

Zulu- i need not explane

Crocop- took him to decision in a great fight. this is a plus for fedor, but gonzaga leveled crocop, a feet that fedor could not do

TK- also no longer top tier competition

i could keep going like this but i wont, fact is his only big wins are NOG and CROCOP. both wins by decision over NOG and same goes for his win over CROCOP.

Great amazing fighter, but i just dont think him to be this unstoppable fighter, maybe he is, but his fights have not yet proven it

Post #6   8/14/07 2:22:26PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by fatdevil1982

i personaly think he does need to prove to people that he lives up to his hype

if you look at his win/loss record the numbers look great 26-1-1

but when you look at the record in detail it is not that impressive,

matt lindland- matt gained tons of weight for that fight and his rope grab my have given him a momentary edge

mark hunt- any good grappling heavyweight could beet him

mark coleman- way below top tier level fighter (at that time)

Zulu- i need not explane

Crocop- took him to decision in a great fight. this is a plus for fedor, but gonzaga leveled crocop, a feet that fedor could not do

TK- also no longer top tier competition

i could keep going like this but i wont, fact is his only big wins are NOG and CROCOP. both wins by decision over NOG and same goes for his win over CROCOP.

Great amazing fighter, but i just dont think him to be this unstoppable fighter, maybe he is, but his fights have not yet proven it

You can make the same argument for chuck then, right? Man he beat the best striker in mma, the best grappler, giants, smaller guys, everyone that wen't to the ring with fedor lost. Now your comparison between the gg Mirko fight and the Fedor Mirko fight makes no sense, first off Mirko wants/wanted to fight fedor like no one in history, gg was a filler fight, and lets face it he took him lightly. Next elbows on the ground, fedor coulden't use em, and Mirko didn't train to defend em, so for these reasons and more the comparison makes no sense. Oh and his record is 27-1-1.

Post #7   8/14/07 2:53:05PM   

TOMMYAYO05

MMA Sensei

TOMMYAYO05 Avatar

Career:481-312
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:

Posted by sammyd1213

Fedor is the man... Whos gonna beat him in the UFC???...... NOBODY!!!!

NOBODY???yes he is the man but i can definetley see him losing in the octagn of the UFC.

Post #8   8/14/07 3:20:31PM   

Branwest

Standup Guy

Branwest Avatar

Chips:
Fedor is a great fighter and the most dominant HW champion MMA has seen. However, he's not unstopable or invincible. No one is. If he fights in the UFC, he'll eventually be beaten.
In the UFC, he'll consistently fight top-notch fighters, and I believe, within his first seven fights (which is a lot), he'll lose one. At the same time, I think, after that loss, he'll avenge it, and hold the HW title for a long time.
People laugh and state their opinion that this person or that person has no chance or does have a chance or whatever. The fact is, we don't know until they fight. Most ppl didn't think GG would beat, let alone, knock-out CroCop, and with a kick to the face nonetheless; CroCop's trademark. "Right kick, hospital, left kick, mortuary." One of my favorite fighter quotes of all time.
There are many examples of fights that go the opposite way than what majority opinion believes they will. Anything can happen when you put two capable fighters in an octogon and let them fight for three, five-minute rounds, and when fighting for, or to retain the title, five, five-minute rounds.

Post #9   8/15/07 10:06:46AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
I don't think anyone can truly believe that he'll never lose. I really beleive right now the only way he's losing is a cut.

Post #10   8/15/07 1:58:18PM