Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Introducing the Yahoo! Sports MMA Top 10 poll

Print  
Posted By Message

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
Who is the best pound-for-pound mixed martial artist on the planet? That simple question provokes more debate in the sport than any other.

LINK 1

LINK 2

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #1   8/12/07 10:03:24AM   

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:
they dont have wanderlei silva there??? he held the title for 7 years!!! yea he just lost his title but so did chuck, and beat rampage twice and chuck lost to rampage twice, and rampage before Nog? I think Nog is #2. Only losses are to Hendo which he erased with an armbar, Barnett which he erased a couple months later, and Fedor. his wins are a list of Who's who in MMA..... And randy couture top 10??.....very Biased top 10...

Post #2   8/12/07 10:35:07AM   

MoJoy

Banned again

Career:93-38
Chips:
Not biased, how is it biased. And for who? Does Yahoo work for UFC? It's a great top 10 except for Rampage that high. The top 5 is practically perfect.

Post #3   8/12/07 11:48:38AM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:

Posted by juanez13

they dont have wanderlei silva there??? he held the title for 7 years!!! yea he just lost his title but so did chuck, and beat rampage twice and chuck lost to rampage twice, and rampage before Nog? I think Nog is #2. Only losses are to Hendo which he erased with an armbar, Barnett which he erased a couple months later, and Fedor. his wins are a list of Who's who in MMA..... And randy couture top 10??.....very Biased top 10...

MMMath does not work

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #4   8/12/07 11:57:02AM   

AmericanFighterAce

Banned

Career:990-702
Camp: Pure Adrenaline Radio
Chips:
I think Gomi is better, than BJ Penn.
Rampage was a little high, I agree I think Wanderlei should have been on there. The top 2 were dead on perfect, I think Silva should have been 3.

Post #5   8/12/07 1:07:27PM   

Sam_Rothstein

Belt Contender

Sam_Rothstein Avatar

Career:950-555
Chips:

Posted by AmericanFighterAce

Rampage was a little high, I agree I think Wanderlei should have been on there. The top 2 were dead on perfect, I think Silva should have been 3.

i bet if bj and gomi fought again bj would be 2-0 against takanori

Post #6   8/12/07 2:19:38PM   

Stugots

Learning to Sprawl

Career:20-20
Chips:

Posted by Sam_Rothstein

Posted by AmericanFighterAce

i bet if bj and gomi fought again bj would be 2-0 against takanori

Gomi has developed into the best striker in his division since then. If BJ stood with him, he'd get destroyed.

As for the mmamath response, I agree. However, I do think Wanderlei should be ranked, definitely ahead of Chuck. He had a longer reign, beat better fighters, and was unbeatable for years. Getting knocked out by CC, and then Hendo, doesn't cause a guy who wouldve been top 2 to drop off the face of the earth.

Post #7   8/12/07 6:33:29PM   

ocho-cinco

In Full Mount

ocho-cinco Avatar

Career:994-597
Camp: nelson top team
Chips:
Gomi has developed into the best striker in his division since then. If BJ stood with him, he'd get destroyed.

As for the mmamath response, I agree. However, I do think Wanderlei should be ranked, definitely ahead of Chuck. He had a longer reign, beat better fighters, and was unbeatable for years. Getting knocked out by CC, and then Hendo, doesn't cause a guy who wouldve been top 2 to drop off the face of the earth.

I agree about Wanderlei. I disagree about BJ though. I think it would be a good fight and tough to call, but I'm not sure BJ would get "destroyed" on his feet by anyone within his weight.

Post #8   8/12/07 11:11:08PM   

Stugots

Learning to Sprawl

Chips:

Posted by ocho-cinco

I agree about Wanderlei. I disagree about BJ though. I think it would be a good fight and tough to call, but I'm not sure BJ would get "destroyed" on his feet by anyone within his weight.

Lol if BJ stood with Gomi he would get knocked out. For sure.

Post #9   8/13/07 4:51:16AM   

Lord_Lenny

In Full Mount

Career:1,113-723
Camp: Broderskapet
Chips:

Posted by ocho-cinco

Possible? Yes. For Sure? definitely not. In my opinion Gomi, although great, is among the most overrated fighters, and in a rematch i would predict Penn

Last edited 8/13/07 5:05AM server time by Lord_Lenny
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #10   8/13/07 5:04:54AM   

Stugots

Learning to Sprawl

Chips:

Posted by Lord_Lenny

Posted by ocho-cinco

Possible? Yes. For Sure? definitely not. In my opinion Gomi, although great, is among the most overrated fighters, and in a rematch i would predict Penn

If anything Gomi is underrated. Before his fights with Aurelio and Diaz (only 2 fights) look at what he did. That was superior to any run anybody else including Penn has ever had at LW/LWW. His striking has developed into the best in his weightclass (in PRIDE or UFC), In SHOOTO he was a very good wrestler, with good gnp and good submission offense. His grappling offense is underrated, most of his early fights were subs and world class wrestling, but he wasn't developed as a striker and Hansen took advantage of that, and then Penn did in his next fight. After that he worked on his boxing, and he found out (ala Chuck for the UFC fans) that he has incredible power with his shots. Unlike Chuck, he developed supreme footwork, which is evident in all of his destructions vs Sakurai, Ishida, Kawajiri, Azeredo etc. He has angles the most reminscent of a real boxer, when he's not fatigued laying against the ropes laughing at Diaz' punches as he wings sloppy wild haymakers (which still managed to make Diaz face look like hamburger meat and also drop him). People forget Gomi almost stopped Diaz at the begging and middle of the first round, and was the one who initiated the takedown in the 2nd round. He was never hurt by Diaz standing once, he was fatigued, because like CC he can be cocky and overlook opponents. That's what happened vs Maximus, and in the rematch he took the conservative Silva-Arona 2 approach and won the decision. Sakurai was long regarded as the best striker in the weight class and Gomi gave him a clinic. He boxed a former boxer named Jens Pulver (before his KO loss vs Sakurai which damaged Pulver) and showed his striking capabilities, ending it with another brutal uppercut knockout. Azeredo was an annihalation the first time.

Gomi would destroy Penn standing, if you don't see that or agree that's fine. His only real defense is lack of training, and sub defense. Sure BJ could tap him, but it's 50-50, with Gomi dominating the striking Penn would have more trouble shooting. Penn isn't known to be a cardio machine himself so I don't know how you can call Gomi overrated. All these casual PRIDE fans who never saw his BUSHIDO fights or understand amazing technical striking when they see it, not to mention brutal power, are the ones who call him overrated.

Last edited 8/13/07 6:07PM server time by Stugots
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #11   8/13/07 2:31:14PM   

SpiderSilva

Spiderweidman

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,760-1,113
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I didn't want to read all that sorry

well right now Fedor is PFP the best But Anderson Silva is vary close with all his dominating wins the last year if his fights keep going this way in another year he could be voted the PFP best

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #12   8/14/07 2:15:51AM