Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Shamrock Vrs Gracie

Print  
Posted By Message

theKirK

Learning to Sprawl

theKirK Avatar

Career:209-168
Chips:
I understand why we only have Pride and UFC represented here but i would loved to bet on this one.

I would put my money on Renzo Gracie, other than him having great control on the ground and subs out the wazoo I just dont trust Shamrock's heart since he left UFC.

Winner: Gracie
Decision
Unaminous

All and all i think it would b a great fight and im looking forward to seeing it open to any kind of ending.

I know there are other opinions out there so lets dish!

Post #1   2/2/07 3:07:44PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
Frank is one of my all-time favorites, and I'd have to go with him. Hes one of those rare people like Bruce Lee who are so ridiculously athletic and graceful that they'd be good at absolutely any physical sport. Hes a phenominal grappler, has good hands, tons of heart, a good chin (not that I think Renzo would test this), and with his first fight in a new org and a pile of naysayers, I think he'll want to make a huge splash.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #2   2/3/07 4:12:27AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,916-1,077
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Frank is one of my all-time favorites, and I'd have to go with him. Hes one of those rare people like Bruce Lee who are so ridiculously athletic and graceful that they'd be good at absolutely any physical sport. Hes a phenominal grappler, has good hands, tons of heart, a good chin (not that I think Renzo would test this), and with his first fight in a new org and a pile of naysayers, I think he'll want to make a huge splash.

I think Frank takes it also, but I'm afraid he might become the next Rickson Gracie. He was once ahead of the game, but now just talks without fighting anybody even remotely in the top 10, and prices himself out of most fights. I'm not saying he couldn't return to form and be the best 185 lb. guy there is. I beleive in his ability if he put his mind to it. I think if he's not in the UFC/Pride he's doing himself and us fans a disservice. I agree with all the skills you posted for him, but he needs to fight someone who's a threat to him. When he wins he should fight Loiseau/Villasenor winner. A year ago Loiseau was considered top 10 by most, and at least it would show his willingness to compete with people considered mid-to-upper echelon now. Loiseau looked like his old self in the 3rd round of the Swick fight and may be on the way back to where he was before Ace tooled him. Or Villasenor, an upcoming fighter who trains with a good camp( Jackson ) . Either way, just have him fight the winner of that fight. If he wins that fight I'll be a believer agian .I know he'ssupposed to fight Baroni in strikeforce next, but I doubt very few people give Baroni a chance IMO. I put him in the same category as Renzo, a name who hasn't beat a top current fighter in a long time( Kondo , Chonan no lober top 10 IMO). Renzo's last 2 wins are against a guy( Militech) who has been retired a long time, and Newton who doesn't fight regularly anymore. Baroni has not been the same since he got inolved with hammerhouse. He has only a puncher's chance IMO. I wanna see him fight a top 5 guy in pride/UFC before I think he's worth the hype he currently generates.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #3   2/3/07 5:17:00AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,476-1,422
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
please don't bring up renzo beating miletich anymore, it still stings

Post #4   2/3/07 4:09:52PM   

theKirK

Learning to Sprawl

theKirK Avatar

Chips:
Dont get me wrong, I do believe Shamrock had/has the ability to beat Renzo. Renzo however can control and dominate the ground even on the bottom (no matter what outcome, I do believe Renzo will spend a majority of the time on his back)

IMO just like others say, Shamrock was a great fighter that just kinda lost his touch. Made to much money from training seminars rather than fighting. It would be great so see him in the limelight again which is possible. My gut just says Renzo on this one...

Post #5   2/3/07 11:51:47PM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
Renzo by Armbar. Thats right i said it. BAM!

Post #6   2/4/07 12:01:55PM   

theKirK

Learning to Sprawl

theKirK Avatar

Chips:
Thats what im talking about!

Armbar or triangle from the bottom!

Post #7   2/4/07 11:35:00PM   

mrsumo

Standup Guy

mrsumo Avatar

Career:270-233
Camp: Team Bullshido
Chips:
Come on guys, Shamrock didn't lose his heart by leaving the UFC. It wasn't some made for TV moment where he was sitting in the locker room with his head in hand thinking about all the people he has hurt in the ring while some sappy indie ballad plays in the foreground. He kicked butt in Japan, went to the UFC and showed them a whole new ballgame. Then he wanted to get out on top and ride the gravy train for a while. That is just smart thinking. He makes a ton of money with seminars and endorsements, and he comes back every few years for a super match. That is exactly the way some of the other UFC legends should have went, as legends. His brother maybe should have taken the same route.

This is going to be a cool fight. Two great warriors from two great fighting families collide and all that shit.

Shamrock, round one, kneebar!

Post #8   2/5/07 1:36:05AM   

theKirK

Learning to Sprawl

theKirK Avatar

Chips:

Posted by mrsumo

This is going to be a cool fight. Two great warriors from two great fighting families collide and all that shit.

Shamrock, round one, kneebar!

Frank left to ride the gravy train, yes. But a fighting spirit is a fighting spirit, and they want to keep competing just for the competition. I believe he lost that, IMO his heart is, at best, questionable.

The real issue in my mind is if his skills alone can overtake Renzo.

I agree about the great fight, but i dont see a kneebar on either side being successful...

an now for the funny face just cuz its there........

Post #9   2/5/07 12:05:53PM