Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Cousciousness/Awareness.

Print  
Posted By Message

JewJitsu

MMA Regular

JewJitsu Avatar

Career:398-238
Chips:
I had been contemplating what exactly was the difference between consciousness and awareness (it seems simple at first glance) and this is what I came up with.

Consciousness is the collective name for the processes which give us the capacity to be aware. To be aware, there must be something which one can be aware of. So awareness is the state which results from consciousness coming into contact with its environment.

All thoughts, input, rebuttals, and insults are welcome.

Post #1   8/9/07 10:52:11PM   

szucconi

In Full Mount

szucconi Avatar

Career:440-296
Chips:

Posted by JewJitsu

I had been contemplating what exactly was the difference between consciousness and awareness (it seems simple at first glance) and this is what I came up with.

Consciousness is the collective name for the processes which give us the capacity to be aware. To be aware, there must be something which one can be aware of. So awareness is the state which results from consciousness coming into contact with its environment.

All thoughts, input, rebuttals, and insults are welcome.

Consciousness is relationship between thought and ones environment, but awareness is a more subjective term to describe the same thing.

"Cogito ergo sum" or I think, therefore I am. From René Descartes' "Principles of Philosophy" It basically means that your thought is the only thing that you can depend on to exist. The things that you are aware of and that you are thinking about could in fact be imaginary. Everything that you know about could be brought about be a "deceiving demon". There might be no earth, air, or water. They all may exist only in your head, but the fact that they can exist in your head proves the only thing that you can prove. I think, therefore I am.

As this relates to consciousness, thinking is a base element of self. Consciousness is deliberate think about the perceived environment (self included). Awareness may not be limited to deliberate thinking or the perceived environment.

Last edited 8/10/07 12:05AM server time by szucconi
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   8/9/07 11:44:35PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:

Posted by szucconi
There might be no earth, air, or water. They all may exist only in your head, but the fact that they can exist in your head proves the only thing that you can prove. I think, therefore I am.

Slight detour of topic, but: For anyone that deals with meditative states, ecstatic ritual, visualization and the like, you know this to be extremely true.

Interestingly enough, I read an interview with Fedor where he explained the way he prepares for a fight is to imagine the guy hes fighting is going to take all his money away and make his family starve, and by making myself believe that, hes determined never to lose a fight.

Sorry, just had to throw that out there.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #3   8/9/07 11:59:25PM   

NME

MMA Regular

NME Avatar

Career:513-264
Camp: The F4W EMPIRE~!
Chips:

Posted by szucconi
"Cogito ergo sum" or I think, therefore I am. From René Descartes' "Principles of Philosophy" It basically means that your thought is the only thing that you can depend on to exist. The things that you are aware of and that you are thinking about could in fact be imaginary. Everything that you know about could be brought about be a "deceiving demon". There might be no earth, air, or water. They all may exist only in your head, but the fact that they can exist in your head proves the only thing that you can prove. I think, therefore I am.

René Descartes walks into a bar.

The bar tender asks, "something to drink?"

Descartes replies "I think not," and immediately disappears.

Post #4   8/10/07 1:06:32PM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:

Posted by NME

Posted by szucconi

good joke, made me laugh

Post #5   8/10/07 1:22:33PM   

szucconi

In Full Mount

szucconi Avatar

Career:440-296
Chips:

Posted by NME

Posted by szucconi

It is a fine joke, but there is a problem. Descartes would never turn down a drink.

Please find the song called "Bruces' Philosophers Song" from Monty Python and listen to in now. "I drink, therefore I am"

Post #6   8/10/07 2:29:47PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
Consciousness implies understanding, but awareness does not? Unless we're talking about self-awareness, in which case that would be the fact that we are aware of our awareness, which could be seen as understanding...

Or something like that anyways... I took a philosophy class many years ago, and was always confused by the seperation of consciousness (phenomanal and access) and awareness... To me it seemed that P-consciousness was the same as general awareness...

Post #7   8/10/07 3:58:12PM