Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

MMAWeekly World MMA Rankings

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

DMcCabe11

Banned

Career:43-19
Camp: East Coast Top Team
Chips:

Posted by Sam_Rothstein

wow they gave ufcs light weight division no love. the highest ranked lightweight is joe stevenson??? i mean granted he has beat some good contenders but i would never consider him the best lightweight at 160 or under in the ufc. yet he is the only active ufc lightweight ranked

who do u think besides penn who they cannot rank bcuz he had one match against jensy is better than joe daddy at 155

Post #16   8/8/07 9:39:14PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
He fought in pride as many times as he fought in mecca. I'm just saying if you don't call him a former pride fighter you can't really call him anything.

Post #17   8/8/07 9:45:17PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

He fought in pride as many times as he fought in mecca. I'm just saying if you don't call him a former pride fighter you can't really call him anything.

He was more of a hired gun.

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #18   8/8/07 9:50:50PM   

UBTossinasalad

Learning to Sprawl

UBTossinasalad Avatar

Career:79-50
Chips:

Posted by zephead

Posted by cmill21

He was more of a hired gun.

Hired guns clean out the division and he was far from accomplishing that in Pride.

Also, many fighters have fought more fights in other/lower level orgs before they fought for UFC or Pride. Silva is considered a Pride fighter when using him in refrence to the discussion.

Lastly, these rankings are taken from whoever their staff is there. If you look at the pollsters it tells u that. That site is the absolute worst to use in refrence to good rankings. Who cares what Juanita the cleaning lady thinks on her vote.

Many other ranking sites use much more subjective means to get their lists. Just putting Matt Sera at #1 is enough to show someone how bad they are. (No, beating a #1 fighter doesnt mean you replace the current #1 unless u are already the #2 or sometimes #3 ranked guy already)

Post #19   8/8/07 10:29:03PM   

SPARX

Learning to Sprawl

SPARX Avatar

Career:458-294
Camp: Shogun Academy
Chips:

Posted by Keryatyam

whear is BJ Penn this is BS

I agree

Post #20   8/8/07 11:01:27PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Chips:
I don't think BJ's on the list because no one knows where he's fighting. His next fight is against some 155, after that who knows. Now the matt serra ranking is obviously debateable, and it should be. If you beat the best and are the champ can you not say he is the best? To some no, including me, I think GSP has more experience and is a much better technical fighter, but he did beat the best and is the champ so for now I suppose he deserves his ranking.

Post #21   8/8/07 11:07:44PM   

adamsb

MMA Regular

adamsb Avatar

Career:531-352
Chips:
Faber is the #1 FW in the world i dont care what anyone says he just destroys people he will not be beat for a long long time i think sarra should be #3 but w/e it all looks good besides that

Post #22   8/8/07 11:28:50PM   

MoJoy

Banned again

Career:93-38
Chips:
I dont personally have Matt Serra in Welterweight rankings top 10, but I have no problem with him being ranked number 1. Where my eye brow moving is brought to the forefront is overall these rankings for someone on this site, would be allright. nothing special, all right, but for a heralded web site, they are awful.

Nick Diaz is fighting at lightweight for the moment and has to be top 5

BJ Penn has to be considered a lightweight until he fights at welterweight, and if they have a head they would rank him 1.

Dan Henderson at number 5 at MW. That is beyond retarded, he is the clear number 1. Do you think Anderson could beat Babalu,Wandy,Big Nog,Shogun?

Lawler and Trigg are not top 10 guys. And where is Shamrock and Okami?

Werdum should not be top 10, and Barnett is placed too high, he beat Randy on roids and would lose the rematch. Cro Cop is still top 10, but no way in hell at number 3 at this point until we see improvement.

Come on, no Gonzaga and Vera in the top 10, those could are maybe top 5.

Anyone who says these rankings are good does not know MMA. Look at my rankings, you may not rank exactly the same, but you will see every one of my picks has sense to it. TrueJammer.

Last edited 8/8/07 11:32PM server time by MoJoy
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #23   8/8/07 11:30:55PM   

the-james

Standup Guy

the-james Avatar

Career:891-471
Chips:

Posted by Untouchable

Where is Mark Hunt in the top 10??? How is Chuck number 3 ahead of Henderson??? That doesn't even make sense. Hendo is a champion, and beat the guy, and should be #2 or #3. How is Rich Franklin ranked ahead of Dan Henderson at MW??? Does that make any sense???

Mark Hunt is not in the top ten because he has a record of 5 wins and 3 losses and has lost his last two fights and his only two substancial wins are two split decisions, one bullshit one against a guy who normally fight at 205 and a very close one over Crocop.

Rich Franklin is ahead of Dan Henderson at 185 because Dan hasnt fought at that weight in a year and his last fight was a loss to Kazuo Misaki who in my opinion is not a top ten fighter and Rich despite the loss to Anderson Silva is coming off two not great but solid wins.

Post #24   8/8/07 11:31:25PM   

Btews22

MMA Regular

Btews22 Avatar

Career:190-116
Camp: Oregon Top Team
Chips:
Just wait til Matt Serra takes Matt Hughs's back in the third round and chokes him till his face turns blue!!!!!!!! Is that what it takes for all you meat heads out there to respect this guy!! He went out and crushed a Amazing fighter with his hands none the less, His BJJ skills are second to none, and damn it the man has heart. So for once will all the MMA meat heads out there pull there heads out of there asses and route for that jackass Matt Hughes to go to sleep, so a real champion who shows respect to his competition and his sport can hoist the belt again and laugh in the face of all the doubters out there and prove that Gracie Jujitsu is Back Big Time!!!!!

War CroCop VS Big Nog II

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #25   8/9/07 12:41:46AM   

TOMMYAYO05

MMA Sensei

TOMMYAYO05 Avatar

Career:481-312
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:

Posted by DJDark41

Matt Serra? #1 Welterweight in the world? Thats a funny joke. Otherwise I agree with that list.

haha i totally agree man

Post #26   8/9/07 1:10:36AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by MoJoy

I dont personally have Matt Serra in Welterweight rankings top 10, but I have no problem with him being ranked number 1. Where my eye brow moving is brought to the forefront is overall these rankings for someone on this site, would be allright. nothing special, all right, but for a heralded web site, they are awful.

BJ Penn has to be considered a lightweight until he fights at welterweight, and if they have a head they would rank him 1.

Dan Henderson at number 5 at MW. That is beyond retarded, he is the clear number 1. Do you think Anderson could beat Babalu,Wandy,Big Nog,Shogun?

Werdum should not be top 10, and Barnett is placed too high, he beat Randy on roids and would lose the rematch. Cro Cop is still top 10, but no way in hell at number 3 at this point until we see improvement.

Anyone who says these rankings are good does not know MMA. Look at my rankings, you may not rank exactly the same, but you will see every one of my picks has sense to it. TrueJammer.

Until you see improvement? Oh yeah I forgot he lost once so he needs to improve....Barnett isn't top 5? ummmm any reason why? Why should vera be in the top 10? because he beat frank mir? No gg isn't top 5 unless he beats randy, then he'll be #3 and everyone else will move down. Hendo isn't higher because he doesn't have a ton of big wins at 185....most are at LHW or HW. I looked at your "rankings" all I had to do was see brandon vera at 3 and Mirko at 8 and I laughed.....Please use some kind of actual reasoning.

Last edited 8/9/07 1:20AM server time by cmill21

Post #27   8/9/07 1:18:48AM   

Untouchable

Learning to Sprawl

Untouchable Avatar

Career:17-16
Camp: Team Pride
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Posted by MoJoy

Until you see improvement? Oh yeah I forgot he lost once so he needs to improve....Barnett isn't top 5? ummmm any reason why? Why should vera be in the top 10? because he beat frank mir? No gg isn't top 5 unless he beats randy, then he'll be #3 and everyone else will move down. Hendo isn't higher because he doesn't have a ton of big wins at 185....most are at LHW or HW. I looked at your "rankings" all I had to do was see brandon vera at 3 and Mirko at 8 and I laughed.....Please use some kind of actual reasoning.

Don't waste your breath bro. I was going to quote people who responded to my post, but there was 3 or so that were going on and on and making no sense.

Mark Hunt isn't top 10?? He gave Fedor his toughest fight in years, beat Cro Cop decisively (it wasn't close, Cro Cop ran away the whole fight and Hunt walked through head kicks and threw bombs) and dropped Wanderlei twice, and reversed him on the ground. Sorry you never saw those fights, and if you did, you should watch them again. How is Mark Hunt not top 10?? 5-3?? That's why?? Look at Randy Couture's record, his winning percentage isn't the best either. Hunt has lost all three (Yoshida, Barnett, Fedor) by submission. Those names are pretty impressive, Yoshida was his first mma fight, and name one UFC HW that will beat him. Sylvia?? Please, Hunt would knock his head into the 5th row. Vera??? Gonzaga?? Gonzaga has the best chance, because he has submission abilities, but Hunt is growing every fight (as evidenced by the Fedor fight) and would KNOCK OUT RANDY inside 2 rounds. Mark Hunt would destroy Randy Couture. That's why he's top 10. In all actuality he should be top 5, ask Cro Cop.

That other guy who contradicted himself every sentence, I don't understand half of what you're saying. Those FW's would hand Faber his ass, that's a fact.

Finally you have somebody trying to argue Franklin should rank above Hendo at 185. Why?? He beat Jason MacDonald?? The Crow??? Nate Quarry??? Misaki is top 10, definitely. He took Hendo to the brink twice, and beat Denis Kang. That's top 10.

To be the man you have to beat the man, which is why Matt Serra should be and is number 1. Who else would it be?? GSP?? LOL...Hughes??? LOL Of course it's Serra. Get a grip.

Finally, Chuck being ranked ahead of Hendo. First of all rankings aren't based entirely on history, the last 205 Chuck beat was Tito, and he was knocked out inside 2 minutes in his last fight. Hendo knocked out Wanderlei in his last fight, and IS THE RECOGNIZED PRIDE LHW CHAMPION. That's why there's NO WAY Chuck deserves to be ranked ahead of Hendo. He shouldn't even be ranked ahead of Wanderlei, before Silva got knocked out, he was on a way better run at 205 (his only loss being a UD vs Arona in 5 years) and ko'd Rampage twice.

PRIDE nuthuggers?? I love how people say that. It's always the UFC groupies like that zephead guy that make statements like that. Anderson Silva is OBVIOUSLY a PRIDE fighter, he fought there 5 times, Mecca is nothing, and just because A. Silva couldn't hang in PRIDE and left doesn't mean he wasn't a PRIDE representative for years. I recall him beating Carlos Newton over there. PRIDE is gone, but until Zuffa announces it's officially dead and buried, it's still alive as a brand, as evidenced by the Hendo-Rampage thing. PRIDE had NFL stars, where as UFC was the CFL. PRIDE had WAY better fighters and WAY better fights, those are facts, not opinions, sorry if the truth hurts.

Last edited 8/9/07 1:51AM server time by Untouchable

Post #28   8/9/07 1:48:11AM   

Untouchable

Learning to Sprawl

Untouchable Avatar

Career:17-16
Camp: Team Pride
Chips:
LOL OH YEAH...Barnett's not top 5??? This is why I don't like to post on forums.

Post #29   8/9/07 1:49:19AM   

Rich78

MMA Regular

Rich78 Avatar

Career:148-108
Chips:

Posted by Untouchable

PRIDE had WAY better fighters and WAY better fights, those are facts, not opinions, sorry if the truth hurts.

Altho I agree with most of what you said, that part is an obviously an opinion. Its good that people have differing opinions, but by people claiming what they say is FACT, then it somewhat dilutes their argument.

Until EVERY fighter fights EVERY other fighter in their weightclass, which could never happen, no rankings or anything can possibly be 'fact' based, just like mma math, some things just don't ever add up. And its good that people can disagree with well put arguments (on the whole), if everyone agreed, then this forum would be empty!

Post #30   8/9/07 6:59:41AM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3