Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

MMAWeekly World MMA Rankings

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
The latest MMAWeekly World MMA Rankings were released on Wednesday, August 8. This system ranks the top ten MMA fighters from all across the world in each of the six biggest weight classes, as voted on by MMAWeekly.

LINK

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #1   8/8/07 2:58:18PM   

DJDark41

MMA Sensei

DJDark41 Avatar

Career:363-219
Camp: The Pit
Chips:
Matt Serra? #1 Welterweight in the world? Thats a funny joke. Otherwise I agree with that list.

Post #2   8/8/07 2:59:54PM   

Branwest

Standup Guy

Branwest Avatar

Career:224-109
Camp: X-treme Fighting Systems
Chips:
Although I agree with some of these rankings (such as the obvious #1 HW, Fedor), some of the others are crap. I like Serra and all, but #1 WW. I think not.
Also, Urijah Faber should be ranked higher among the FW's.
Also, they have Hendo at #4 among the LHW's but #5 among the MW's.

Post #3   8/8/07 3:26:37PM   

GrandMaster313

In Full Mount

GrandMaster313 Avatar

Career:984-643
Chips:

Posted by DJDark41

Matt Serra? #1 Welterweight in the world? Thats a funny joke. Otherwise I agree with that list.

but with one question......... Where is Sherk????

Post #4   8/8/07 6:47:22PM   

the-james

Standup Guy

the-james Avatar

Career:891-471
Chips:
I dont like these rankings at all, why is Frank Trigg in the Top Ten and guys like Okami arnt and the fact that Matt Serra is #1 makes me mad I do agree competely with the FW rankings though.

Post #5   8/8/07 7:04:55PM   

Untouchable

Learning to Sprawl

Untouchable Avatar

Career:17-16
Camp: Team Pride
Chips:
Lol you guys don't understand rankings do you?? GSP was number 1 (a lot of his fanboys had him #1 P4P LOL) and he got knocked out and destroyed in one round by Serra. THAT'S why Serra is #1. Do I think he'd beat every guy in the top 5?? Doubt it. Doesn't matter. He destroyed the number 1 guy for the belt, and hasn't lost since, which is why HE'S #1 AND DESERVES IT.

Where is Mark Hunt in the top 10??? How is Chuck number 3 ahead of Henderson??? That doesn't even make sense. Hendo is a champion, and beat the guy, and should be #2 or #3. How is Rich Franklin ranked ahead of Dan Henderson at MW??? Does that make any sense???

Their LW rankings are dead on, although I'd have Aoki one spot ahead of Kawajiri. Sherk is a steroid user and will be suspended, what makes people think when he comes back he's going to be the same?? Their FW rankings are real good too, Faber??? He ran away from El Nino like it was the storm itself. The 4 fighters ahead of him would hand him his ass. That's why.

Post #6   8/8/07 7:10:53PM   

Keryatyam

Learning to Sprawl

Keryatyam Avatar

Career:398-206
Camp: IDF
Chips:
whear is BJ Penn this is BS

Post #7   8/8/07 7:13:14PM   

leeman

Learning to Sprawl

Career:98-63
Camp: Jujiden MMA
Chips:
they dont have bj ranked in ww or lw wtf

Post #8   8/8/07 7:41:03PM   

bootyclause

MMA Regular

Career:1,044-777
Chips:

Posted by Untouchable

Lol you guys don't understand rankings do you?? GSP was number 1 (a lot of his fanboys had him #1 P4P LOL) and he got knocked out and destroyed in one round by Serra. THAT'S why Serra is #1. Do I think he'd beat every guy in the top 5?? Doubt it. Doesn't matter. He destroyed the number 1 guy for the belt, and hasn't lost since, which is why HE'S #1 AND DESERVES IT.

Where is Mark Hunt in the top 10??? How is Chuck number 3 ahead of Henderson??? That doesn't even make sense. Hendo is a champion, and beat the guy, and should be #2 or #3. How is Rich Franklin ranked ahead of Dan Henderson at MW??? Does that make any sense???

Their LW rankings are dead on, although I'd have Aoki one spot ahead of Kawajiri. Sherk is a steroid user and will be suspended, what makes people think when he comes back he's going to be the same?? Their FW rankings are real good too, Faber??? He ran away from El Nino like it was the storm itself. The 4 fighters ahead of him would hand him his ass. That's why.

blah. first of all, I dont remmber Chuck fighting Henderson, when was that? 2nd of all, no matter how much u hate UFC and love Pride, theres nothing so great abut Henderson's resume that makes it automatically better than Chuck. He beat Wandy (giving him only a split head to head with him) - before that Henderson has been a good fighter who takes some losses from time to time and doesnt have any amazing wins. He took a decision off Babalu - Chuck destroyed him twice. Chuck wouldnt split with Misaki. Henderson probably woudnt take 2 of 3 off his mate Couture. Pretty much all of Hendo's other wins are against guys Chuck would KO quickly.

u can make a case that hendo is rated too high at LHW, like Serra at WW. the heavily Pride biased media and core fans have basically let Henderson inherit all of Wandy's wins. in your minds since he beat Wandy one time (and got his ass kicked for 80% of their first fight), he is now better than Rampage who is better than Chuck by MMA math.

the problem is that MMa math is dumb

PS - u say the dominant Sherk sucks (he would bury all the Japanese guys) - then u imply u know all about these Pancrase and Shooto fighters and how you're sure they're better than Faber. Yeah, OK bud.

Post #9   8/8/07 8:09:22PM   

Ordep

Go Braves!

Ordep Avatar

Career:1,039-621
Camp: Beat Down System
Chips:
I'm glad Sherk is not in the list anymore

Post #10   8/8/07 8:23:12PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
I'm just curious if you know anything about henderson...he beat babalu, ninja rua, gilbert yvel, big nog, and of course wand. I'd say thats a pretty good resume. Chucks beat, tito, randy, babalu, and overeem, still good competition, but what there suggests chucks better then hendo? Sherks isn't on there because of his steroid test, it's still pending so they removed him for now. As for the hating on PRIDE, well alot of educated mma minds believe pride had the better roster, and I for one agree, because they sent the best of the best into the pride guys world, he was brutally beaten, now the pride guys are being sent to the ufc guys world, some are having their struggles, but 2 are already champ, and I think there will be another in the HW div before the end of the year. The MW div will be dominated by pride guys, as will LHW and HW.

Post #11   8/8/07 8:29:04PM   

Sam_Rothstein

Belt Contender

Sam_Rothstein Avatar

Career:950-555
Chips:
wow they gave ufcs light weight division no love. the highest ranked lightweight is joe stevenson??? i mean granted he has beat some good contenders but i would never consider him the best lightweight at 160 or under in the ufc. yet he is the only active ufc lightweight ranked

Post #12   8/8/07 8:41:09PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Chips:

Posted by cmill21

I'm just curious if you know anything about henderson...he beat babalu, ninja rua, gilbert yvel, big nog, and of course wand. I'd say thats a pretty good resume. Chucks beat, tito, randy, babalu, and overeem, still good competition, but what there suggests chucks better then hendo? Sherks isn't on there because of his steroid test, it's still pending so they removed him for now. As for the hating on PRIDE, well alot of educated mma minds believe pride had the better roster, and I for one agree, because they sent the best of the best into the pride guys world, he was brutally beaten, now the pride guys are being sent to the ufc guys world, some are having their struggles, but 2 are already champ, and I think there will be another in the HW div before the end of the year. The MW div will be dominated by pride guys, as will LHW and HW.

You have Rampage as one Pride fighter who is the champ. Who is the other one? Don't say Anderson Silva. He had just as many fights in Mecca as he did in Pride, 5. He had 4 fights in Cage Rage. So I wouldn't consider him a Pride fighter

Last edited 8/8/07 9:18PM server time by zephead
Edit note/reason: n/a

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #13   8/8/07 9:17:43PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
The biggest org he fought in before the UFC was pride, so yeah I consider him a pride fighter.

Post #14   8/8/07 9:25:16PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Chips:

Posted by cmill21

The biggest org he fought in before the UFC was pride, so yeah I consider him a pride fighter.

To call someone a UFC fighter or a Pride fighter etc. I think a majority of your fights would be in that org and you were signed to that org prior to coming over. His last 4 fights, 3 were in Cage Rage and 1 was in ROTR. Before coming over to the UFC he had 19 fights, with 5 in Pride. Come on now. I know it sounds good to bash the UFC and say "See, Pride fightera are better." but I really think the enevolpe is being pushed big time here

Post #15   8/8/07 9:37:02PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3