Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Kyle Maynard (disabled fighter)

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

fedorwins1

MMA Sensei

Career:552-270
Chips:
This guy is trying to fight in MMA, but he has no arms or legs. Here's a video of him grappling at NAGA. I personally wouldn't let him fight in MMA.

Kyle Maynard

Last edited 8/8/07 2:11PM server time by fedorwins1
Edit note/reason: n/a
3 total post edits

Post #1   8/8/07 1:31:15PM   

fedorwins1

MMA Sensei

Career:552-270
Chips:
Sorry I forgot the video

Post #2   8/8/07 2:11:12PM   

Rua22

MMA Regular

Rua22 Avatar

Career:60-33
Camp: Jujiden MMA
Chips:
that was pretty crazy. i wonder how young the kid he was grappling actually was. i don't think i would let him compete either (however right or wrong that opinion may be), but you definitely gotta admire someone with heart like that and someone that is able to make there niche against all odds.

Post #3   8/8/07 2:40:21PM   

wilwith1l

MMA Regular

wilwith1l Avatar

Career:23-10
Chips:
I can't imagine what weight class he would be in. I mean arms and legs are pretty heavy.

Post #4   8/8/07 2:47:40PM   

LR

In Full Mount

LR Avatar

Career:638-326
Chips:
Very good interview with the promoter who is putting on the fight on the Jordan Breen show Podcast through Sherdog.

Post #5   8/8/07 3:30:05PM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:

Posted by wilwith1l

I can't imagine what weight class he would be in. I mean arms and legs are pretty heavy.

Good point. Not to mention there are several subs he cannot do.

Rear naked and Armbar wouldnt work.
AS well almost any kind of leglock would be impossible. He has no hands to grip with so i doubt he would pose a threat to a Pro MMA fighter.

Also in a fight wiht him wouldnt head kicks go out the windo b/c i dont think he cant stand on whats left of his legs.
In MMA anyone could outbox him. Without the arm reach to defend against anyone i cant see MMA going good for him.

That being said if he wants to grapple im not gonna try and stop him. What ever makes you feel happy.

Post #6   8/8/07 6:45:42PM   

Lord_Lenny

In Full Mount

Career:1,134-733
Camp: Broderskapet
Chips:
he is fighting in amateur MMA so the rules favor him

Post #7   8/8/07 7:31:10PM   

puppetmaster837

Standup Guy

puppetmaster837 Avatar

Career:216-132
Chips:
Also it seems like it would be hard to find a professional fighter to figth him. If you win its not really something you can brag about, and most would probably feel awkward fighting a guy with his disabilities.

Post #8   8/8/07 9:14:06PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:

Posted by wilwith1l

I read an interview with him, and he said hes 125lbs right now, but would have to bump up to 135lbs to even find competition.

Honestly I think its a huge mistake for everyone involved. He essentially can't strike, can't be hit with kicks or knees, because hes on his knees at all times, and thereby is a "downed opponent", the amount of submissions he can perform is extremely basic (armbar, arm triangle and maybe an omaplata) and although there are some submissions he can't physically be put in, there are many more he can't defend.

Its a lose-lose situation for anyone fighting him. You either defeat a guy with no arms or legs and look like an asshole, or lose to a guy with no arms or legs and look like the worst fighter ever.

The only way Maynard can possibly win is via decision, and that would depend on whether the guy hes fighting is nice enough to not uppercut him for three rounds straight.

Its great he wants to compete and apparently grappling is his thing, but I don't see it being wise to go to MMA.

Last edited 8/9/07 1:34AM server time by svartorm
Edit note/reason: n/a

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #9   8/9/07 12:12:01AM   

wilwith1l

MMA Regular

wilwith1l Avatar

Career:23-10
Chips:
We used to wrestle against blind and deaf guys. There were special rules. Like against the blind guys, we had to maintain physical contact at all times.

Post #10   8/9/07 12:13:20AM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:
Like LR said, listen to the interview with the promoter of the event that Kyle will fight in on Sherdog. It might change your mind.

I'm personally fine with it as long as it's amature rules. Then it's basically a grappling match with punches to the body which are strikes he can both perform and defend against.

Post #11   8/9/07 6:34:17AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,476-1,422
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
the guy should be able to compete as an amateur, but its going to be tugh to find people to get in there with him for obvious reasons that have been stated. i think anyone who has the heart to get in there and go for it with so many obstacles in front of him deserves a ton of credit, but its a foregone conclusion that he'll never be a top competitor.

Post #12   8/9/07 9:17:56AM   

chadtruitt1979

MMA Regular

chadtruitt1979 Avatar

Career:95-45
Camp: Get_It_On
Chips:
Maybe he would do ok I guess. He is a good wrestler but the strikes are what is going to get him.

Post #13   8/10/07 2:07:27PM   

TheHitmanTL

Standup Guy

TheHitmanTL Avatar

Career:237-188
Chips:
mann just let the poor guy fight.....if he wants to fight in MMA the let him do it it should be his choice and not anyone elses.....if he can beat ppl in wrestling then im pretty sure he could pull it off in mma i mean its not like hes gonna be fighting peopl that weigh more than him....the guy is an inspirational figure and ya know what im DAMN WELL in spired by this guy and i think he deserves to be able to fight in mma.....take it or leave it

Post #14   8/10/07 6:10:12PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,916-1,077
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by fedorwins1

This guy is trying to fight in MMA, but he has no arms or legs. Here's a video of him grappling at NAGA. I personally wouldn't let him fight in MMA.

Kyle Maynard

totally agree. I don't wan him to get seriously injured or anything, but if the regulatory bodies allow this, they deserve a beating worse than he will get. Any competent fighter would dominate this guy. Inspiration as his grappling can be, I don't want to see this guy get mauled

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #15   8/11/07 5:10:38AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2