Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dana White: Chuck Liddell Needs Two Wins for Title Shot

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:
Even with a win against Keith Jardine at UFC 76, former champ Chuck Liddell will need an additional victory before he’s likely to be granted a title shot, UFC president Dana White says.

Click Me

Post #1   8/8/07 11:31:34AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I totally agree with this.

Post #2   8/8/07 12:31:03PM   

kevietre

Belt Contender

kevietre Avatar

Career:666-469
Chips:
Its the right thing to do he does deserve another shot since he was the best in the division for a while but he shouldnt have another fight with rampage right away since he's already lost twice. Im curios to see who his opponent will be after Jardine win or lose.

Post #3   8/8/07 1:02:56PM   

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:
i think his next opponent after jardine (assuming he wins) is either shogun or wanderlei silva....

Post #4   8/8/07 1:17:37PM   

three_days_of_grey

MMA Regular

three_days_of_grey Avatar

Career:902-534
Chips:
In light of this statement, I do not anticipate a Dec. 29th bout between Liddell and Silva due to the following:
1) Silva is on a slight losing streak with losses to CC/Hendo and I can't imagine why the UFC would put themselves in a position that is not win/win concerning these two fighters at this time.
2) Silva hasn't fought since Pride 33 in February and not in UFC since '99. He needs media exposure to casual fight fans here in the US.

With that said, I would love to see this fight happening, just not in Dec. Nor am I suggesting that either fighter is thrown a can. I would prefer to see Liddell vs Evans and Ortiz vs Silva II on that card. Simply by holding off on Liddell vs. Silva until after Dec., I think that we will ultimately see much better fights in the long run.

-OUT-

Last edited 8/8/07 1:48PM server time by three_days_of_grey
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   8/8/07 1:48:04PM   

Lethal

MMA Regular

Lethal Avatar

Career:165-104
Camp: Team Mafia
Chips:
I'm not worried about Wanderlei's media exposure. All you need if for the UFC to bust out a few Pride HL and everyone will know that he's serious business. I do agree that it may hurt both of their careers if they fight each other after both losing their championship, but I'm worried that if it doesn't happen in December it may take another year to finally have them on the same page again.

Last edited 8/8/07 2:38PM server time by lethal

Post #6   8/8/07 2:36:43PM   

ocho-cinco

In Full Mount

ocho-cinco Avatar

Career:994-597
Camp: nelson top team
Chips:
This is a good decision by Dana. Franklin had to do the same. The thing that bothers me is why does Hughes have such an easy time getting his title shot?
Liddell was also a dominant champion, but he need to win 2 fights, and I'm assuming his next fight will be championship calibur. Hughes Also lost with a devistating KO, and all he had to do was beat Chris Lytle. Don't get me wrong Lytle is a good fighter, but come on. Make him beat Diego, or Karo as well, before he gets his shot. Plus now we have to wait till the TUF season ends before the belt gets defended, thats brutal.

Post #7   8/8/07 2:57:28PM   

three_days_of_grey

MMA Regular

Chips:

Posted by Lethal

I'm not worried about Wanderlei's media exposure. All you need if for the UFC to bust out a few Pride HL and everyone will know that he's serious business. I do agree that it may hurt both of their careers if they fight each other after both losing their championship, but I'm worried that if it doesn't happen in December it may take another year to finally have them on the same page again.

I don't think it would take another year. For instance, Liddell wins his 2nd fight in Dec. he could fight for the LHW belt in late Feb-early April (barring serious injury) and fight Silva in June-July. Should Chuck win the belt back, wouldnt a Liddell/Silva Championship fight be worth the additional wait??

Post #8   8/8/07 2:59:13PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,486-872
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
So long as his next opponent is of championship calibur,I think it's a good idea.

Post #9   8/8/07 3:34:57PM   

Lethal

MMA Regular

Lethal Avatar

Career:165-104
Camp: Team Mafia
Chips:

Posted by three_days_of_grey

Posted by Lethal

I don't think it would take another year. For instance, Liddell wins his 2nd fight in Dec. he could fight for the LHW belt in late Feb-early April (barring serious injury) and fight Silva in June-July. Should Chuck win the belt back, wouldnt a Liddell/Silva Championship fight be worth the additional wait??

That would be ideal IF Chuck wins it back, not that I'm doubting Chuck's abilities. I guess I'm a little impatient now that I see the fight possibly in the works and I've been waiting years for it to happen.

Post #10   8/8/07 4:12:45PM   

elysianwing

MMA Regular

Career:1,205-789
Camp: Hands Of Fury
Chips:

Posted by Lethal

lol so.....you don't think it'll take another year....just another 11 months?

I do agree that Liddell and Silva shouldn't just be thrown together sloppily in an effort to satisfy over-eager fans, as you said, the fight will be better in the long run if they give Wand and Chuck a little rebound time.

but, I don't agree that Chuck should be fighting for the title just one fight after Jardine, and to be honest, I don't think he should get a title shot before he fights Silva at ALL.

He had a long run at the top of the ufc, and I can understand wanting to give him respect for that, but he got brutally knocked out by a man who already beat him into a pulp once before. Respect aside, it just doesn't make sense to have Chuck fight Rampage again without Chuck REALLY working his way back up the ladder.

I say Chuck/Evans, Wand/Bisping(maybe).

Silva/Ortiz 2 is another fight I feel should wait a bit, for the same reason chuck/wand should wait.

Chuck/Wand after their respective fights, winner earns a title shot.

Post #11   8/8/07 4:22:43PM   

three_days_of_grey

MMA Regular

Chips:

Posted by elysianwing

Posted by Lethal

lol so.....you don't think it'll take another year....just another 11 months?

I do agree that Liddell and Silva shouldn't just be thrown together sloppily in an effort to satisfy over-eager fans, as you said, the fight will be better in the long run if they give Wand and Chuck a little rebound time.

but, I don't agree that Chuck should be fighting for the title just one fight after Jardine, and to be honest, I don't think he should get a title shot before he fights Silva at ALL.

He had a long run at the top of the ufc, and I can understand wanting to give him respect for that, but he got brutally knocked out by a man who already beat him into a pulp once before. Respect aside, it just doesn't make sense to have Chuck fight Rampage again without Chuck REALLY working his way back up the ladder.

I say Chuck/Evans, Wand/Bisping(maybe).

Silva/Ortiz 2 is another fight I feel should wait a bit, for the same reason chuck/wand should wait.

Chuck/Wand after their respective fights, winner earns a title shot.

No, not 11 months. I was counting from the December 29th show when they are rumored to be fighting... thought that was obvious. My apologies.

Post #12   8/8/07 5:10:13PM   

elysianwing

MMA Regular

Career:1,205-789
Camp: Hands Of Fury
Chips:

No, not 11 months. I was counting from the December 29th show when they are rumored to be fighting... thought that was obvious. My apologies.

I was just kidding with you anyhow, no worries.

Post #13   8/8/07 5:18:21PM   

philoebeddoe

Learning to Sprawl

philoebeddoe Avatar

Career:84-67
Camp: Fedor's American Army
Chips:
Good find. I agree 100% with that. He lost twice to the champ. One win against Jardine would not/ does not give him auto rematch...

The light heavies in the UFC is going to be great for a while with Hendo, Page, Chuck, Shogun, Lyoto, Griffin, Tito, Wandy....

Post #14   8/8/07 6:06:12PM   

Copenhagen

Good for Body and Soul

Copenhagen Avatar

Career:1,109-603
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I bet after Chuck beats Jardine, they'll put him up against someone like Bisping and if he wins that he gets a title shot. Which if this happens I will be very pissed. Chuck has only beaten one person who is currently recognized in the top 10 LHW (Tito who is barely 9thish). I want to see Chuck face a top 5 LHW after the Jardine fight if he wins. I'm not hating on Chuck, I enjoy watching him fight. I would just like to see the 3rd ranked LHW with a win against at least someone in top 5 on his record.

Last edited 8/8/07 6:35PM server time by copenhagen
2 total post edits

Post #15   8/8/07 6:13:26PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3