Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

does tim silvia deserve a title shot?

Print  
  Page 2 of 5     1     2     3     4     5  
Posted By Message

Piccosaur

MMA Regular

Piccosaur Avatar

Career:3-1
Camp: RB Fighting Systems
Chips:
He definetly deserves one if he wins his next two fights.

Post #16   8/7/07 10:17:23PM   

DNor

MMA Regular

DNor Avatar

Career:92-62
Chips:
Does Tim Sylvia deserve a title shot? Yes, but he needs to defeat a couple of fighters. I would like to see him fight Heath Herring for his first fight, then Gabriel Gonzaga for his second fight (only if Gonzaga loses to Randy, if not then have him fight someone else). And if he wins those two, have him fight Cro Cop for #1 contender at HW.
Im not a Tim Sylvia fan myself, but you do have to give him another chance at the title. However I do not think he will complete the three feats listed above. The HW division just got so much stronger recently.

Post #17   8/7/07 10:34:23PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,924-1,081
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I think for Tim to deserve at title fight he should fight 2 top 10 guys, and I don't include Herring on that list. At least a 1 top 5 guy , and a top 15 guy like Vera, Aleks. Maybe we just have different ranking though.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #18   8/7/07 10:40:26PM   

fullerene

MMA Sensei

fullerene Avatar

Career:1,474-900
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

I think for Tim to deserve at title fight he should fight 2 top 10 guys, and I don't include Herring on that list. At least a 1 top 5 guy , and a top 15 guy like Vera, Aleks. Maybe we just have different ranking though.

Exactly the path that Couture and Gonzaga took, huh?

I root against him too, but come on. Does anyone demand what you guys are asking of Hughes, Franklin or Liddel before they get rematches?

Post #19   8/7/07 10:42:49PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
^^^ I do. Hughes does NOT deserve to be fighting serra, he should have to prove himself against gsp before he gets the title again. Franklin earned it. Liddell better have to fight shogun or wand if he wins against keith.

Post #20   8/7/07 10:48:41PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Considering shogun will get a title shot if he wins.

But Tim should fight atleast 2 or these 4 guys. Eddie Sanchez, Heath Herring, Antoni Hardonk(pending if he beats Frank Mir) and then brandon Vera before he fights any top contenders. To see if he is going to have anymore back problems.

Post #21   8/7/07 11:08:52PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,924-1,081
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by fullerene

Posted by hippysmacker

Exactly the path that Couture and Gonzaga took, huh?

I root against him too, but come on. Does anyone demand what you guys are asking of Hughes, Franklin or Liddell before they get rematches?

I think these are different circumstances. For one Hughes is the most dominant champ in UFC history, but I think that fight is as much about selling PPV's/ TUF 6 as as being deserving. Also, I'm not sure what you are referring to with Chuck . If he has to beat Jardine( top 15 IMO) and Wandy ( still at least top 10 if not top 5 to people I know) I think that's deserving of a title shot. I agree with Cmill that Franlin earned it. Another reason I think Sylvia should have to fight his way back is you have more good heavyweights on winning streaks right now. Gonzaga/ NOG. When Hughes got his shot GSP/Sanchez/ had just lost their last fight. Fitch / Karo have not beat a top 10 fighter ever IMO. Karo's best victories are against Serra and Diaz. Both close fights and neither was top 10 when he fought them. Fitch still hasn't fought someone I consider top 10. Again this could be us just disagreeing on rankings. The only other alternative was Koshcheck and after that cautious fight with Sanchez, I'm glad they are making him fight GSP. So while I can see your point, even if I'm undecided on If I agree with it on Hughes, I think Franklin and Chuck have to earn their way back.

Last edited 8/8/07 4:10AM server time by hippysmacker
Edit note/reason: n/a

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #22   8/7/07 11:38:52PM   

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:
i dont know why but i would love to see tim sylivia vs heath herring........

Post #23   8/7/07 11:40:50PM   

Btews22

MMA Regular

Btews22 Avatar

Career:190-116
Camp: Oregon Top Team
Chips:
I would love to have him fed to Crocop or big nog and he needs to shut is ugly trap and take what the UFC givs him If he can beat ether of those two he belongs If not............. GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!

War CroCop VS Big Nog II

Post #24   8/8/07 12:33:27AM   

low-blow

Learning to Sprawl

Career:217-125
Chips:
Tim did put a couple beat downs on Andrei but he was a boaring champ, the heavyweights are so deep now I would definetly like to see him prove himself before he got another title shot. I am not sure if he could hang with the big names that are out there now. I would like to see hime fight Brandon Vera or Heath Hearing.

Post #25   8/8/07 12:44:23AM   

Scott_Revels

Banned

Career:376-170
Chips:
Win one fight against the latest top five in the UFC HWs first and then we'll talk.

Post #26   8/8/07 3:28:01AM   

Signal2112

Standup Guy

Signal2112 Avatar

Career:52-22
Chips:
I don't think he deserves one, his reign as champion was a low point in the UFC imo given how ridiculously boring he is to watch fight!

Post #27   8/8/07 5:43:02AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I do dislike Tim as a fighter, I find him boring, and I think he uses a natural size advantage to fight a fight where he fights not to lose as opposed to fighting to win. That being said I have to agree with Fullrene here, I think he deserves a shot again after 1 MAYBE 2 fights. Truthfully I only even say 2 because of the fact that he's coming off of an injury. I think a champion who has defended a few times and lost his belt in a decision, regardless of if it was a lopsided one, deserves a title shot after one win against top10 competition. The fact that he's been laid off with an injury for a while and that so many top fighters have migrated into the division make me want to lean more towards 2 fights. Honestly I don't think it matters very much though, because I believe that even if he could win the fights to earn him the title shot, that he would lose against any of the top 5 heavyweights in the UFC at this point.

Post #28   8/8/07 7:54:21AM   

Ultimate_fighter

Banned

Career:270-165
Chips:
I think if his next 2 wins are good fights, and probably end with stoppages, he should come out as a beast, at his size he is a monster. I think he should probably defeat his next 2 opponents, with total beatdowns, which i dont think will happen, cro cop is to much for him, nog will sub him, fedor,,, haha dont even wanna go there, and couture would just beat him again for 5 rounds straight.
I think that arlovski has a better chance of holding the belt than Sylvia and sylvia beat him twice.

Post #29   8/8/07 6:27:58PM   

jocksmall

In Full Mount

Career:213-134
Chips:
tim always stirs up things thats why i started this topic. i have been critical in the past but the sport needs to be fair to all of the fighters. in boxing many put rematch clauses in thier contracts. before everyone jumps me im not suggesting that but i do think that tim should get a herring or sanchez then maybe a step up then a title shot. i dont think he should have to beat cc or nog(because i dont think he can) in order to fight randy (if hes still champ). how did randy earn a shot he was coming off 2 losses in his last 3 fights. i like consistancy. i agree with most that tim isnt the best but he deserves the same chance as matt or rich. as far as chuck i dont think jardine is a hard fight at all but if he fights wandy then that will be a tough road.

Post #30   8/8/07 7:46:01PM   

Page 2 of 5     1     2     3     4     5