Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Is Fedor being unreasonable with his demads to the UFC?

Print  
Are Fedor's demans unresonable?
Yes 19 41%
No 12 26%
Give what wants except the co-promotion 15 33%
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,993-1,122
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
This has been going on a long while. I beleive Fedor is the best fighter in the world, but he has only fought 1 heavyweight in almost 2 years that I would even consider near the top 10 top ( Hunt). A lot of people have been talking about him not deserving of being ranked # 1 anymore. Unless he fights Barnett anywhere, or signs with the UFC I will be have to agree, and the Barnett fight would only be a temporary fix IMO. Unless he's fighting the other top heavyweights he will lose some credibility to a lot of people. I don't think Fedor is afraid or anything ridiculous like that , I just think his manager is being unreasonable. His own manager admitted the UFC's offer is a lot more lucrative financially than anyone else's. Let's look at the sticking points in the deal.
1. Fedor wants to be able to compete in sambo in Russia still. In most other sports athletes have clauses preventing them from doing other activities that could get them injured. It ius possible that Fedor could get hurt doing this and not be able to defend the belt for a while . I would give in on this , with the stipulation that he loses a portion of his money for anytime he can't fight do to injuries suffered in sambo.
2. They want a bunch of other Red devil fighter's to be signed to UFC deals. I don't know how mnay and at what price. that's the rub here. Alek's is reportedly out for any US fight's because he can't a US visa due to his armed robbery convictions.
Maybe they could have him fight in other countriess. Suloev would make a fine addition IMO, especially if he moved to 170. Thier may be a couple of other good prospects of UFC caliber right now. I don't know the specifics of it, but I say give in on this in moderation. ALek's , Suloev, and maybe a couple other fighter's of the right skill level at prices that fit the current market for there services.
3. His managers insistence to co-promote the UFC in russia. Insane IMo, first everone who has run a show there , including BODOG, has lost money. You don't tell the biggest MMa company in the world where they will run show's , and that they have to do it with you, A current Sherdog radio host( who did not want his name attached to this) was at a local event recently and spoke to my roomamte about Fedor's manager. He said the guy is a crazy Russian with ties to the mob, and everyone on the inside of MMa knows this. I just thought he was unreasonable, but we all saw how mob ties brought down Pride.

So even though I think all 3 are very unusual, Fedor is till my second favorite fighter, and he is the best fighter in the world to me. I would reluctantly give in on the first 2 , and tell him he is nuts on the 3rd if I was the UFC. I hope Fedor is in the same position as Vera was. Getting bad advice from management unknowingly. When Vera found out he fired his manager. Everything I've seen or read about Fedor makes me think he's like the Russina version of Couture. Class all the way. So either he's got us all fooled, or he doesn't know the dangerous slope his manager has him on. In the end, If Fedor ( or more likely , his manager) holds on to this 3rd point, he will never fight in the UFC. He will tarnish his legacy in my eyes, and I beleive the eyes of many then.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #1   8/7/07 5:10:07AM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:
He should be able to compete in sambo ONCE a year. He's a big celeb in Russia because of his sambo accomplishments.

Zentsov and Suloev would make fine additions to UFCs roster.

I havn't heard the thing about them wanting UFC to co-promote an event in Russia. If that's true that's bullshit and totally unreasonable.

Post #2   8/7/07 7:14:06AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
1 & 3 sound fairly reasonable (more 3) but definitely not 2. He's still a big draw in Russia and given how UFC's successfully expanded into the UK and is talking about Japan, they could maybe do one show a year in Russia (and only one show) just to see how well it comes off. But as far as 2 goes, no. If they want to come to UFC, they should have to earn their way in like everyone else has to. I'm sure Dana & the Fertittas want Fedor in UFC, but they're also smart enough to know that no one fighter, ranked #1 or not, is above them and their promotion.

Post #3   8/7/07 7:17:54AM   

gspgnp

MMA Regular

gspgnp Avatar

Career:212-117
Chips:
Number one is perfectly reasonable. I see no problem with any fighter participating in any other NON-MMA event such as Sambo, the olympics.....

#2 Is also perfectly reasonable. Hey they do it with Militech and Greg Jackson, why not the red devils. It's not like they have a bad camp.

#3 Is where I and any sane and reasonable promoter would draw the line. That demand is absolutely unreasonable. You don't get to force a show somewhere and co-promote it because of ANY one fighter. They need to drop this clause and sign. I'm sure Dana has no problem with demands #1 and 2,(more so 2) but I could see him being extremely reluctant about 3.

Post #4   8/7/07 9:58:41AM   

LR

In Full Mount

LR Avatar

Career:638-326
Chips:
Let's focus on the issues that matter here. The 3rd topic on the main post is pretty much going to be agreed upon by all of us. We really don't think a co-promotion should happen and obviously neither does Zuffa. The interview with their agent really sparked that hatred for the idea. They want US dollars funneling through their pockets just because they have the #1 HW in the world on their side. I doubt Zuffa will ever consider doing this because it was pretty much guarantee a crappy production that didn't cost even close to what the Russian delegation was asking.

The 1st matter of Fedor participating in the Sambo tournaments should be a non-issue. The only real discussion we can have is that it's a Combat Sambo tournament where strikes can occur. The UFC is being a hypocrite on this matter. Various fighters participate in events where they can be injured throughout the year, ie. ADCC had about 5 UFC fighters in it this year, and Werdum won his division. Granted, there is no striking, but a broken appendage was a possibility, just like Fedor getting cut in a Sambo tournament is a possibility. UFC should bow down on this.

The 2nd issue is a godsend for the UFC, I mean, I don't see the downside. Suloev is an amazing fighter. Why not sign him? Get him, and a few other experienced Red Devil camp members in the UFC for cheap contracts. They will either do well and give the MMA fans in the States some more talent to look forward too, or they can be feed for the UFN nights to up and coming fighters to gauge their talent on. I really don't see the downside other than money. I'm sure the Russians are trying to get a lot of money for those contracts though, so that may be the snag.

Post #5   8/7/07 10:15:04AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:
I agree with everyone else, for the most part.

Provided the comparison between the sambo tournament and the ADCC tournament is valid, I don't see what the problem is, either.

The expectation/demand of signing other Red Devils is hard to judge. Honestly, the Emelianenkos and Suloev are the only ones who look like capable UFC fighters to me. If a WEC contract would be a reasonable compromise for them, I could see Andrei Semenov, Arman Gambaryan, Alexei Prokofiev, and Vladimir Zenin there. Roman Zentsov could also be "WEC-level", if he could make 205 lbs (which I doubt).

The co-promotion thing seems like a deal-breaker; doubly-so if the guy is genuinely involved in organized crime.

Post #6   8/7/07 11:02:14AM   

keith-hackney1

Belt Contender

keith-hackney1 Avatar

Career:274-221
Chips:
I agree with most on this post, but as for the high money negotiations with the signings of other fighters from the emilianenko camp, and the idea of fedor's management co producing a ufc show in russia, it aint gonna happen. Fedor's legacy will perish away into thin air if he stays fighting in bodog and the ufc will not suffer if the likes of barnett and hunt come to fight in the octagon.
Either fedor's team are very clever and think they will pull it off, or they are pushing as hard as possible until they break the ufc's offers, that way they know what they can get, then an offer will eventually be agreed. But people i must ask ....All this for a fighter who up until his fight with hunt, hadnt really fought top class all the way as apposed to the likes of noguiera and couture. Fedor's legend and unbeatable status has built up on a bundle of non competitive fights. Is he really worth all this chasing when you've got GG, CC, Nog, Couture and the likes of barnett, fugitta, monsoon and hunt open to offers ??????? ... surely a bunch of signings is enough to shake up the ufc heavyweight division alittle better than a hefty signing on fedor. i dont think he's worth that much to be honest, the fans will maybe agree but from a potential ppv and sales advantage for the ufc, i think the ufc will suply all demands til he's in the octagon.

Post #7   8/7/07 11:45:28AM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:

Posted by keith-hackney1

But people i must ask ....All this for a fighter who up until his fight with hunt, hadnt really fought top class all the way as apposed to the likes of noguiera and couture. Fedor's legend and unbeatable status has built up on a bundle of non competitive fights.

?????

Fighting Arona, Babalu, Herring, Fujita, Goodridge, Coleman x2, Randleman, Hunt, Lindland, and CroCop isn't good comp?... And defeating the guy you used in your example (BigNog) 3 times doesn't mean much either?...

You're right that's a pretty non-competitive schedule... I can't even figure out why he's in the top ten

Post #8   8/7/07 12:07:34PM   

LR

In Full Mount

LR Avatar

Chips:
Agreed. He's fought the absolute best except for Barnett.

Post #9   8/7/07 12:09:44PM   

Pitbull09

MMA Sensei

Pitbull09 Avatar

Career:288-147
Chips:
I can understand the sambo tournament but whenever your signing like 5 other guys to sign one person, thats stupid. I dont think he should be forcing fighting inRussia either. Hes already doing the sambo so he will still be there sometimes. He is jsut going to have to accept that the only thing hes getting out of this, is the sambo cause thats reasonable.

Post #10   8/7/07 12:26:25PM   

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:
the first one is up for consideration, if it does not get in the way of him fighting for the ufc let him have it......

the other 2 are juss a bunch of complete bullsshit, they shouldnt let any other fighter but him get in, if the other ones want to get than they have to earn their spots, and #3 is stupid too, its up to the UFC where they do their show, Fedor and his camp and his manager and who ever else is in there should have nothing to do with this.........

if they dont change their demands, i dont see how fedor will sign with the ufc.....

Post #11   8/7/07 2:09:25PM   

LR

In Full Mount

LR Avatar

Chips:
Sure, the fighters he wants to sign with him need to earn their spot, but if a fighter like Suloev and some potentially other great Sambo fighters in the Red Devil camp are also part of the deal, I'd say give them some small 2-3 fight contracts, and let them do it. Or, with WEC getting a bit bigger, have them fight WEC guys.

Post #12   8/7/07 2:17:47PM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
This is actually simple.

YES, HE IS BEING UNREASONABLE. He is looking for more than his fair market value, no matter how good he is. The things he asks are far from ordinary, and w/o precedent or justification. He's (and/or his management) strongarming just cuz he's recognized as #1. **** him if he doesn't want to sign w/ the only org that makes any business sense for him.

Post #13   8/7/07 5:45:03PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,993-1,122
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I'm really glad most people agree with me. I had feared it would be 50/50 or worse. Right now only 4 people agree with Fedor's side with 16 people agreeing he is unreasonable outright or at least on the 3rd demand. If I was the UFC I would try to get someone I know ( who knows Fedor well) to go directly to him and see if he knows all the demands his management is making.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #14   8/7/07 10:05:45PM   

Piccosaur

MMA Regular

Piccosaur Avatar

Career:3-1
Camp: RB Fighting Systems
Chips:
Yes, extremely unreasonable. The UFC got both Mirko and Noguera without much problem. Fedor and his camp are clearly being difficult and I'm sick of people saying "well because he's Russian he wants to make top american dollar", well if he just comes to the UFC he can make top money everytime he fights. Only thing UFC's doing wrong is they should be allowing him to his Sambo tournaments.

Post #15   8/7/07 10:15:21PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3