Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Filho vs Silva? Yeah right....

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Career:212-114
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:
I am denying his ability. I think he is no where near as good as people make him out to be.

Advertisement: Check out Fanduel

Post #16   8/6/07 11:00:37AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

[...]it's the first time I've ever seen him KO someone.

It was also the first time Doerksen had ever been (T)KO'd.

Posted by LR

Filho was definitely hesitant, but you gotta remember that this is his first WEC fight[...]

Yes, he looked a little nervous to me, even during the post-fight interview. I think this may have been his first title fight, too, although I'm not sure about that.

Posted by nubby

I am denying his ability. I think he is no where near as good as people make him out to be.

...and so far you're only "evidence" for this is a fight in which he KO'd somebody who had never been KO'd before, and that he'd probably lose to the UFC Middleweight Champion.

I also think people underestimate Doerksen (myself and Filho included, apparently), particularly his grappling. Doerksen has submitted Patrick Cote, Ed Herman, Denis Kang, and John Alessio, and among his losses are Nate Marquardt (by Decision), Jason MacDonald (at 4:30 of the 4th round), Matt Lindland (by Decision), Joe Riggs, David Loiseau, and Matt Hughes.

Post #17   8/6/07 11:27:52AM   

SpiderSilva

Living legend

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:2,303-1,485
Chips:
well if they ever did fight the way Filho throws punches Silva would pick him apart vary fast almost like he did Lebon if it was on the ground well we would have to see because Silva is pretty damn good down there

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #18   8/6/07 11:29:14AM   

bootyclause

MMA Regular

Career:1,044-777
Chips:
i dont think a KO makes you a great striker. Luter KO'd Eastman.

this was a sloppy sort of lucky KO. I dont change my opinion of him at all, he is still in the top 5-10 and could feasibly beat Silva. but i dont think more of him based on last night, that is reading too much into it.

Post #19   8/6/07 11:47:03AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:3,115-1,776
Chips:
honestly, how many mw's can anyone argue are better than this guy. silva, linland, hendo(if thats where hes fighting), kang, franklin. the list isnt that long and an arguement could be made for a few others, but the guy is one of the elite 185ers in the world, and probably the best BJJ of all of them. if you hadnt seen filho before last night and heard about how great he was i can see how you might say he looked a little tentative, or sloppy, but he beat a really tough guy, and did it with what is considered the weakest part of his game, striking from the feet. all in all id say he looked pretty good for his debut in WEC, and id expect him to look even better next time around.

Post #20   8/6/07 12:20:48PM   

Keryatyam

Learning to Sprawl

Keryatyam Avatar

Career:398-206
Camp: IDF
Chips:
Silva will KO him in the 1st.

Post #21   8/6/07 2:29:06PM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Keryatyam

Agreed.

All you people saying that he's good, that's fine. Compare him to a guy who could never cut it in the UFC. But the reality is I am comparing him to UFC fighters and more specificaly to Anderson Silva. Based on the performance he gave last night, if he ever stepped into the Octagon with Silva he would get knocked the hell out.

Post #22   8/6/07 2:48:55PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:3,115-1,776
Chips:

Posted by nubby

Posted by Keryatyam

Agreed.

All you people saying that he's good, that's fine. Compare him to a guy who could never cut it in the UFC. But the reality is I am comparing him to UFC fighters and more specificaly to Anderson Silva. Based on the performance he gave last night, if he ever stepped into the Octagon with Silva he would get knocked the hell out.

my guess is thats the first time youve seen him nubby, the guy has slick bjj, moreso than anyone else in the MW division. saying 'based on last nights performance' is like saying 'based on CC's performance against GG butterbean would beat him' because bean looked good against james thompson. im thinking you heard a lot of hype about him and he didnt come out with a flying heelhook to win you over so youre assuming hes not that good. he is, theres not much else to say.

Post #23   8/6/07 2:55:50PM   

kimoron

MMA Regular

kimoron Avatar

Career:687-420
Chips:
filho has always gotten a little more credit then he deserves in my opinion. he looked pretty mediocre last against doerkson. some might say he looked tenative last night but he looked the same to me. he shot in early like he normally does and when his takedowns were stuffed he pressured joe against the fence and threw some wild punches with one happening to land on the button. filho couldnt handle silva.

Post #24   8/6/07 3:14:08PM   

fedorwins1

MMA Sensei

Career:552-270
Chips:
First off they're good friends and said they wouldn't fight eachother, second Filho and Silva's game plan are completely different. Filho has a good style to beat Silva. Take him down control him wait for him to make a mistake and then sub. him.

Post #25   8/6/07 3:43:58PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:

Posted by nubby

...Compare him to a guy who could never cut it in the UFC. But the reality is I am comparing him to UFC fighters and more specificaly to Anderson Silva...

Does that mean Anderson Silva is a fighter that couldn't cut it in Pride (3-2)... Because Filho did pretty well over there (7-0)...

Just to get it straight, you weren't impressed by a 1st rd TKO victory, and you don't seem impressed by a 15-0 record... What exactly does he have to do to prove himself?

I heard he's an excellent tapdancer as well, how bout now?

Advertisement: Check out Fanduel

Post #26   8/6/07 4:02:22PM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Chips:

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by nubby

...Compare him to a guy who could never cut it in the UFC. But the reality is I am comparing him to UFC fighters and more specificaly to Anderson Silva...

Does that mean Anderson Silva is a fighter that couldn't cut it in Pride (3-2)... Because Filho did pretty well over there (7-0)...

Just to get it straight, you weren't impressed by a 1st rd TKO victory, and you don't seem impressed by a 15-0 record... What exactly does he have to do to prove himself?

I heard he's an excellent tapdancer as well, how bout now?

Rashad Evans has a 15-0 record as well, is he ranked # 3 in the world in light heavy weight? No. The point is that he has not faced top competition in the division and Doerkson is included in that observation. What does he have to do? He has to come to the UFC and prove he can bang with the best. A win over Rich Franklin would at least put him in the top 5, even though Franklin was sort of a paper champion. Maybe the Middle weight division is just weak overall... minus Silva of course.

Post #27   8/6/07 5:04:00PM   

gutoo

MMA Regular

gutoo Avatar

Career:35-16
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
he was off about nine months and he did a surgery on his knee
is hard to fight
remenber shogun and anderson(before the fight against lutter he did a surgery in some weeks)
wait to see more fights of filho...

Last edited 8/6/07 6:15PM server time by gutoo
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #28   8/6/07 6:08:21PM   

gutoo

MMA Regular

gutoo Avatar

Career:35-16
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:

Posted by kimoron

filho has always gotten a little more credit then he deserves in my opinion. he looked pretty mediocre last against doerkson. some might say he looked tenative last night but he looked the same to me. he shot in early like he normally does and when his takedowns were stuffed he pressured joe against the fence and threw some wild punches with one happening to land on the button. filho couldnt handle silva.

so what about the fight silva vs lutter?
everybody said that silva will lose the belt
and silva did a surgery on his knee before and after fought against lutter
filhos was off about nine months and did a serious surgery on his knee
remenber that joe is better than lutter
if you think more
he did pretty well against nate,lindland and submited kang
so?
some guys here expect a lot of filho
fedor when after fight against lindland some noobs said that he isnĀ“t the #1 of thw world...thats funny
and when shogun fought against nakamura the people said bullshit too
i dont understand some guys
is hard do a show when you back of a injure and off about nine months just ask for A FIGHTER...

Last edited 8/6/07 6:18PM server time by gutoo
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #29   8/6/07 6:12:28PM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Chips:
I wasn't aware of that.

Post #30   8/6/07 6:32:09PM