Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Best Grappling Heavyweight

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Well it's good to know that I'm not too far off.

As for Couture... I would have put him up there but I've been more impressed with his ground and pound/takedowns than his actual rolling around jiu jitsu submission fighting. Like I said, I don't know much about grappling and I love Couture, but I was speaking on a jiu jitsu/sambo basis.

To be honest after being overseas for the past 4 years I'm way out of touch with the MMA world and I hadn't seen any Mir fights since a while back. I didn't know the crash affected him that bad. That's terrible :( I really liked the way he fought

Post #16   2/2/07 11:22:09PM   

ElGuApO91

MMA Regular

ElGuApO91 Avatar

Career:14-4
Camp: El Guapo
Chips:
fedor, monson, and couture

Post #17   2/2/07 11:30:20PM   

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Career:596-351
Chips:
No one mentioned Roger Gracie yet?

If we are talking just pure grapping skill, he's got to be towards the top of the list.
First person (still the only, I think) to submit all his opponents in Abu Dhabi.

Post #18   2/4/07 6:03:15AM   

Rezen

Learning to Sprawl

Rezen Avatar

Career:304-165
Chips:

Posted by Manfred

If we are talking just pure grapping skill, he's got to be towards the top of the list.
First person (still the only, I think) to submit all his opponents in Abu Dhabi.

Very true but he has one fight so it's easy to forget. He should carry on the grappling Gracie name or a long time. Good point.

Post #19   2/4/07 9:27:05AM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
Mir??? cmon man. the guy is good at BJJ not great. he subs strikers not ground fighters.
For Grappling HW's gotta say Monson, Fedor, Gabriel Gonzaga, Nog, and Barnett.

Post #20   2/4/07 4:02:32PM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Manfred

That he wasnt the first to do. He was the first guy to win his weight class and the Absolute (all weights compete) divsion by sub. (Ps he was a LHW and beat HW)

Post #21   2/4/07 4:03:50PM   

tunefish

Learning to Sprawl

tunefish Avatar

Career:1,084-713
Camp: Camp David
Chips:

Posted by Iteach

I love to watch Big Nog, but Gonzaga looks to be pretty good on the ground.

I agree, Einemo is one talented guy, just wish he would take more fights.

Post #22   2/4/07 6:14:13PM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Chips:
who the hell is Einemo???? are you talking about Fedor?

Post #23   2/4/07 9:32:13PM   

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Career:596-351
Chips:

Posted by madmarck

Posted by Manfred

That he wasnt the first to do. He was the first guy to win his weight class and the Absolute (all weights compete) divsion by sub. (Ps he was a LHW and beat HW)

Thanks for the correction. He's also won a bunch of BJJ championships. So you agree he's one of the top grappling HWs?

Post #24   2/5/07 12:53:41AM   

Snacks

MMA Regular

Snacks Avatar

Career:25-13
Chips:

Posted by waylon_o

Big Nog is in a class of his own when it comes to grappling heavyweights.

Totally, I mean, didn't you see him poan Ricco to death by letting him get that kneebar so he could transition to his back?!

Post #25   2/5/07 5:08:24AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,902-1,070
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by Snacks

Posted by waylon_o

Totally, I mean, didn't you see him poan Ricco to death by letting him get that kneebar so he could transition to his back?!

IMO Ricco won that fight. Hometown decision for a guy on loan from the UFC, Great grappling action from both guys though.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #26   2/5/07 6:03:16AM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Manfred

Posted by madmarck

Posted by Manfred

Thanks for the correction. He's also won a bunch of BJJ championships. So you agree he's one of the top grappling HWs?

I would except he is a LHW................................
And he has only fought one MMA match so. its a bit early. Just cuz ur a World Champion in BJJ doesnt mean your awesome at MMA. Lister just got beat by Nate and Lister is a world class Grappler.

Post #27   2/5/07 9:26:23AM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by Snacks

Posted by waylon_o

IMO Ricco won that fight. Hometown decision for a guy on loan from the UFC, Great grappling action from both guys though.

Ricco did Beat Nog in a Submission Grappling Tournament so Ricco is a awesome Grappler.

Post #28   2/5/07 9:27:25AM   

Sakuraba

Learning to Sprawl

Sakuraba Avatar

Career:11-7
Chips:
Einemo is a stud! Who many guys would make a comeback like he did against Werdum (who is very underrated by the way). He was out 3 years because of an injury and did very good. Werdum wouldn`t be on the ground with him and that says a lot..

i vote Einemo. 2003 ADCC champ

Post #29   2/5/07 11:01:49AM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Well it's good to know that I'm not too far off.

As for Couture... I would have put him up there but I've been more impressed with his ground and pound/takedowns than his actual rolling around jiu jitsu submission fighting. Like I said, I don't know much about grappling and I love Couture, but I was speaking on a jiu jitsu/sambo basis.

To be honest after being overseas for the past 4 years I'm way out of touch with the MMA world and I hadn't seen any Mir fights since a while back. I didn't know the crash affected him that bad. That's terrible :( I really liked the way he fought

Mir got rattled by it but thats not why he shouldnt be on this list. He made his name in the UFC subbin Tank Abbot, Pete Williams, Tim Sylvia, and countless ohters. Who were strikers. Mir is only a brown Belt in BJJ. Yet he showed what GRacie JJ can do to those not well versed in it. It was similiar to Royce entering the Octagon in the Early days of the UFC.

Post #30   2/5/07 1:59:13PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3