Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dana White on Sean Sherk: “I Believe Him”

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

aznteabagger

In Full Mount

aznteabagger Avatar

Career:618-368
Chips:
UFC president Dana White says Sean Sherk is his friend, that he believes Sherk’s claims that he didn’t take steroids, and that the fighter is neither a liar nor a cheater.

LINK

Post #1   8/1/07 12:07:40PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I think that he probably did do steroids and just got caught with some leftovers at the end of his off-cycle. I also think his appeal will most likely be successful since he does have a valid argument and no one can really PROVE that he took them given that it is feasibly possible (although unlikely) for an athlete to have that level of nandrolone present in their bodies naturally.

I also HOPE that his appeal is successful for no reason other than I was REALLY looking forward to seeing him fight BJ.

Post #2   8/1/07 12:26:36PM   

wilwith1l

MMA Regular

wilwith1l Avatar

Career:23-10
Chips:
Urine analysis as a method of detecting nandrolone abuse has recently become somewhat controversial, following studies by the University of Aberdeen showing that the metabolite product can also show up in urine in quantities above the upper limit from a combination of high-protein diets utilising the legal nutritional supplement creatine and hard cardiovascular exercise. The reason for this unexpected result has not been determined. Another possible (though unlikely) reason for a false positive result is the consumption of beef from cattle treated with steroids including nandrolone (used in overturning the verdict against the bobsleigh racer, Lenny Paul). Heavy consumption of the essential amino acid lysine (as indicated in the treatment of cold sores) has also shown false positives in some and was cited by American Shotputter C.J. Hunter as the reason for his positive test. A final possible cause of incorrect urine test results is the presence of metabolites from other anabolic steroids
Wiki

People appeal drug tests all the time. The only way you can win the appeal is to prove human error. Remember, all tests are subject to human error.

Last edited 8/1/07 2:06PM server time by wilwith1l
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   8/1/07 1:42:25PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,952-1,623
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Untouchable

Posted by Aether

I think that he probably did do steroids and just got caught with some leftovers at the end of his off-cycle. I also think his appeal will most likely be successful since he does have a valid argument and no one can really PROVE that he took them given that it is feasibly possible (although unlikely) for an athlete to have that level of nandrolone present in their bodies naturally.

I also HOPE that his appeal is successful for no reason other than I was REALLY looking forward to seeing him fight BJ.

What are you talking about?? Ever heard of Shawne Merriman??? He's bigger then Sherk, got busted with less nandrolone in his system, had 10x the lawyer Sherk does, and still was suspended. Dana White knows Sherk is finished and the fact he hasn't stripped the belt already is a disgrace. What happened to that "bitch slap" he promised?? Nobody can PROVE he took them?? IT'S IN HIS SYSTEM!!! END OF STORY!!! Sherk has to PROVE he didn't take them, not the other way around...and guess what, he did.

I agree with the burden being on Sherk to prove he's innocent...but I don't agree with the UFC stripping him of his belt yet. There is an appeal process for a reason. If he loses the appeal process, then they should absolutely strip him of the belt, but not before.

Post #4   8/1/07 3:02:51PM   

wilwith1l

MMA Regular

wilwith1l Avatar

Chips:
I think they should strip it immediatly. They can reinstate the belt IF he wins his appeal.

Post #5   8/1/07 3:22:15PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Untouchable

Posted by Aether

What are you talking about?? Ever heard of Shawne Merriman??? He's bigger then Sherk, got busted with less nandrolone in his system, had 10x the lawyer Sherk does, and still was suspended. Dana White knows Sherk is finished and the fact he hasn't stripped the belt already is a disgrace. What happened to that "bitch slap" he promised?? Nobody can PROVE he took them?? IT'S IN HIS SYSTEM!!! END OF STORY!!! Sherk has to PROVE he didn't take them, not the other way around...and guess what, he did.

You obviously didn't read anything I wrote since I answered all of those questions with the initial post. Nandrolone is a chemical which is present in the human body naturally. The fact that he had nandrolone in his system is not proof of him taking steroids. It is a strong indication that he did, but studies have shown that an athlete engaging in rigorous cardiovascular activity in conjunction with the use of supplements such as creatine and protein powder can achieve highly elevated levels of nandrolone naturally.

Like I said I believe that he took them, but no he does not have to prove that he didn't take them, in fact that is entirely impossible for him to do. All he has to do is prove that it is reasonable to believe his excercise routine could produce that level of nandrolone in his system without taking an injection, which it is, despite the fact that it is unlikely. The fact that he had an elevated level of nadrolone is EVIDENCE that he took steroids, not PROOF. If he was tested as having a level which was clearly impossible to obtain naturally it would be proof (ie royce gracie's ludicrous 100some nG test). We _ALL_ have nandrolone in our system and it has been proven that the level Sherk tested can be obtained naturally, so no he has not been proven to have taken steroids, you're wrong.

IF he's telling the truth all he really has to do is take another test. If his nandrolone level is simply the result of the breadbasket full of supplements he takes and his insane excercise routine his levels should stay pretty constant. If he is injecting and got caught with leftovers his levels should drop back down. I believe he took steroids, and I believed he took steroids before the test ever happened, but you are flat out wrong in saying he has been proven to have taken them.

Post #6   8/1/07 4:57:38PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Chips:
feel free to delete this post, I was going to say something else but I got names mixed up.

Last edited 8/1/07 5:08PM server time by Aether
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #7   8/1/07 5:06:55PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
I wonder how this will go down

1) Sherk's appeal works out for him and the accusation is dropped. Dana says, see I told you I believe him and Sherk keeps his title

2) Sherk's appeal doesn't do anything

2a) Do you think Dana will still use his subjective opinion on the matter and let Sherk keep his title?

2b) Do you think Dana will assume Sherk lied to him?

Basically I am thinking 2a is going to happen.

Post #8   8/1/07 5:30:11PM   

fullfighting

MMA Regular

fullfighting Avatar

Career:151-94
Chips:
The guy did the roids and he has to be stripped of the belt. Dana is hurting the sport everyday he allows Sherk to remain champ. Dana always talks about how he has to defend the sport constantly because everyone thinks mma fighters are goons--this is not helping his argument especially when he defends sherk.

Post #9   8/1/07 5:42:22PM   

lilz_gangsta

Learning to Sprawl

Career:141-86
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:
everyone one knows he did it to get more $$$$

Post #10   8/1/07 6:16:02PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Chips:
wow you guys need to take it easy. He has an appeal going, it's a bigger hassle to strip him of the belt and then reinstate it than it is to simply wait a week or two to see how the appeal turns out. Yeah I agree he probably did the roids, but the issue has not been concluded yet and you all need to take your panties out of a bunch and wait for the matter to be resolved before you start screaming that they are killing the sport by not taking action. Obviously if the appeal fails he's going to be stripped, who cares whether Dana thinks he was lied to or not, the fact is there is a feasible possibility that his appeal will be successful and you need to calm down and wait to see what the athletic commission decides.

Punishing someone who is potentially innocent before they have been proven guilty is a lot worse than giving them a chance to defend themselves and assuming they're innocent until it has been concluded otherwise.

Post #11   8/1/07 6:21:01PM   

wilwith1l

MMA Regular

wilwith1l Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Aether
Punishing someone who is potentially innocent before they have been proven guilty is a lot worse than giving them a chance to defend themselves and assuming they're innocent until it has been concluded otherwise.

He has allready been found guilty. He has allready been suspended and fined. hHe is appealing now, to prove innocence.

Post #12   8/1/07 7:24:43PM   

Untouchable

Learning to Sprawl

Untouchable Avatar

Career:17-16
Camp: Team Pride
Chips:

Posted by wilwith1l

Posted by Aether

He has allready been found guilty. He has allready been suspended and fined. hHe is appealing now, to prove innocence.

Thank you...and maybe Zuffa should learn something from the NFL

Post #13   8/1/07 9:41:06PM   

gutoo

MMA Regular

gutoo Avatar

Career:35-16
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
sherk used so?Dana always protect his champions like liddel and shek.

Post #14   8/1/07 10:13:41PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,952-1,623
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by wilwith1l

Posted by Aether

Actually that is the punishment handed down in the event that he didn't appeal...a specific amount of time is always allotted in order to respond to the allegations and appeal. He is only guilty If he does not appeal...or if he appeals and is unsuccessful in reversing the decision.

Post #15   8/2/07 12:54:27AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2